Wilson's Economy Growing as Jobs Move In

DCMetroRaleigh

WILSON, N.C. -- Just about everywhere you turn in Wilson, there are signs of growth.

As census numbers decline in surrounding counties, the population in the city and in nearby areas in Wilson County is growing by an average of about 600 people a year. And within the past few years, the area has grown economically, too.

Economic developers worked to bring in several large manufacturing companies.

"In the last 12 months, we've had about $100 million of investment in the community and about 700 jobs created," said Jennifer Lantz with Wilson Economic Development.

Local leaders credit good infrastructure and proximity to Interstate 95 and the new U.S. Highway 64 bypass that brings the Triangle even closer.

http://www.wral.com/news/9735239/detail.html

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WILSON, N.C. -- Just about everywhere you turn in Wilson, there are signs of growth.

As census numbers decline in surrounding counties, the population in the city and in nearby areas in Wilson County is growing by an average of about 600 people a year. And within the past few years, the area has grown economically, too.

Economic developers worked to bring in several large manufacturing companies.

"In the last 12 months, we've had about $100 million of investment in the community and about 700 jobs created," said Jennifer Lantz with Wilson Economic Development.

Local leaders credit good infrastructure and proximity to Interstate 95 and the new U.S. Highway 64 bypass that brings the Triangle even closer.

http://www.wral.com/news/9735239/detail.html

I would LOVE to know how this ranking was established??? 700 jobs? So what? Wilson has lost many more than that over the years. Also has the highest unemployment rate in the state year after year....cause of their very high taxes!

I like Wilson, but this is BS!!! Please explain!

I would imagine Nash co. would have something to say about this

A new economic survey, researched by Policom Corp. of Florida and released this month, ranks Wilson's economy as 13th among 577 small cities across the U.S. That is the highest rating for any N.C. community in the small-city category, edging out the Statesville-Mooresville area at #15. Kill Devil Hills ranked 23rd.

Wilson ranked 62nd nationally in the same survey in 2005 and 115th in 2004.

Large cities were ranked separately. Charlotte finished both tops in the state and nation, after a third-place finish last year. Raleigh was second in the state and 25th nationally.

Local officials say that the survey only confirms what they see going on here.

"People tend to fixiate on the unemployment figures when they're announced monthly, but that's only one number they should look at," said City Manager Grant Goings.

Here's another

^ Good news for my hometown, although I still think it has a long ways to go. The county still has a moderatley high unemployment rate and people fighting for low-wage retail jobs.

Not sure about the mileage but once the northern half of Johnston county is filled up and house prices shoot up look for the eastward expansion of the "Triangle sprawl crawl".

Not sure about the mileage but once the northern half of Johnston county is filled up and house prices shoot up look for the eastward expansion of the "Triangle sprawl crawl".

Northern Johnston? They have a long, long ways to go before it fills up. It's more rural than Wilson Co. lol

Even northwestern Johnston, where Clayton is has a long ways to go. Wilson co. sprawl will come from northeastern Wake co. (Zebulon) It is currently just 25 minutes from Zebulon to the far eastern stretches of Wilson Co. Only 15 minutes from west Wilson.

I still don't understand how Wilson made this list. Idiots run this town! If anything, they have ran it into the ground! I know, I was born here, a lot of my family still lives here, and I am here all the time. Some really bad choices have been made here. There has been so many, I will not get into it.

^ Yup and for the most part eastern Wake is pretty rural. Most of the growth in Wake County has been in the west and north, which is closer to RTP. The eastern part is now just recently starting to pickup, so I think it will be awhile before Wilson really feels anything from the Triangle, although it has all the road connections to the area.

I agree though we what you are saying about the leadership in the town. It's a bunch of old people with "old" money making decisions for the town in their own interests instead of the interest of the town.

^ Yup and for the most part eastern Wake is pretty rural. Most of the growth in Wake County has been in the west and north, which is closer to RTP. The eastern part is now just recently starting to pickup, so I think it will be awhile before Wilson really feels anything from the Triangle, although it has all the road connections to the area.

I agree though we what you are saying about the leadership in the town. It's a bunch of old people with "old" money making decisions for the town in their own interests instead of the interest of the town.

e2,

I could not have said it better myself. The "old" money is whats killing this town. All they care about is right now! They could care less about the future. Again, I will not get into. lol

I'm just glad to be in Fuquay Varina now. I still love Wilson though. And I'm their several days of the week to help my grandmother, and eat her great cooking!

Wilson is similar to Rocky Mt with residential development being all west of US 301 & near I-95. Anything east of US 301, typically has always been undesirable for new development.

Well, we all know why that is....but

Both cities should try to make the eastern areas more desirable. Why? Because their downtowns both lie in those areas!

Well, we all know why that is....but

Both cities should try to make the eastern areas more desirable. Why? Because their downtowns both lie in those areas!

Hey watch this....why don't they just build a loop around both of the cities and then there will be more evenly distrubuted growth :thumbsup:

Just trying to stir up a little dust. I know how all of those piedmont urbanites don't like it when we take there road money for projects back east. Its all jokes I do understand the point they are trying to make.

Hey watch this....why don't they just build a loop around both of the cities and then there will be more evenly distrubuted growth :thumbsup:

Just trying to stir up a little dust. I know how all of those piedmont urbanites don't like it when we take there road money for projects back east. Its all jokes I do understand the point they are trying to make.

Wilson already has a loop. It's been there for more than 30 years. They have started on an outer outer loop though.

They have already built the southern half of the outer outer loop around Wilson. It was completed 2 years ago. They will finish the loop around the north side of Wilson in a few years. (Have not started yet) But the south side of Wilson is the poor side. North and west is the rich side.

Rocky Mount has no loop yet. Just give them a few years though. :thumbsup:

^I am guessing the original loop is Ward Blvd (partially is OLD US 264). What are the other loop road name(s), Forest Hills Road? Airport Blvd?

The original loop would be Ward Blvd, and a few mile stretch of 301. Forest Hills rd. is not part of the loop. You have to travel further down 301, to get on forest hills. But I guess it's still a loop though. Airport Blvd is only like 3 or 4 miles long. It turns into Airport rd. on one side, and Lake Wilson rd on the other. It's a straight line, not a loop. Because one side dead ends into hwy 42, and the other side into London Church rd.

In other news, more bad news for wilson. The city moved their offices out of downtown. They will be located in an industrial park on the east side of town. Their offices had been located downtown for more than 130 years. :angry: So more jobs lost downtown. :(

Still love wilson, but glad I am in Fuquay-Varina!

In other news, more bad news for wilson. The city moved their offices out of downtown. They will be located in an industrial park on the east side of town. Their offices had been located downtown for more than 130 years. :angry: So more jobs lost downtown. :(

It's sad that city offices are leaving, especially after spending money to revitalize the area. That's the problem with this town, they have a bad habit of abandoning stuff and building new things. This is what happened with the new Kroger that's now abandon, along with the new Winn-Dixie and Kmart shopping center that sit vacant. The same thing is happening with the mall with Belk and Radio Shack relocating to the new shopping center.

I hope Target does well, but if history repeats itself, we'll have another eye-sore in town sitting vacant. <_<

WTF? I cringe when I see or hear of stuff like this. Did the city need additional space and didn't want to pay the price for more downtown space. Was this industrial site so cheap that it was to good to pass up. At any rate I think it is a sign that cities like Wilson are a little behind the times. How far out of the way is the new complex.

WTF? I cringe when I see or hear of stuff like this. Did the city need additional space and didn't want to pay the price for more downtown space. Was this industrial site so cheap that it was to good to pass up. At any rate I think it is a sign that cities like Wilson are a little behind the times. How far out of the way is the new complex.

It is all about saving money. Yes, the site, which I believe is out on Miller rd, is off of Hwy 301 way south and east of downtown. There were many people upset, and the city was criticized by many because they made the decision so fast. They needed more room. They claim that some of the jobs will remain downtown.

There is plenty of space available downtown. So it is about saving money.

About the new Target, it is nothing special. I will snap some pictures next time I am in town.

I thought I had heard there would be a best Buy out there. But I never saw one.

There is a Belk, Marshalls, and Target. Maybe another larger store but I can't remember.

^ Yeah, but the thing is, stores like Best Buy look at demographics like population and disposable income levels. I guess they think that Wilson alone can support a Best Buy store yet, although that will probably change in the future. Cabarrus County is just getting one now, up until then people there would have to go to the one in the University Area in Charlotte.

The only reason I would have ever gone to that shopping center is if there was a best buy there. Oh well.

I think the other store I heard would be there was Pets smart...or whatever it is called. However, when I last drove by there I did not see one. Just the Marshall's, Belks, and Target.....not even a super target at that. :angry:

Boring

Archived