West Columbia, Cayce & Downtown Lexington

krazeeboi

I can't figure that one out myself. A drive-through carwash comes to mind, but that makes no sense. Maybe it's a fancy storage or utility house for Taco Bell.

Different architectural style, and it looks more like a drivethrough based fast food place to me. I am really surprised there isn't a sign out front.

Does anyone know what they are building between the Wendy's and the new Taco Bell on Knox Abbot? I'm hoping for a Central Park. Or a Chick-fil-A, but it looks too small for that.

As the CVS nears completion, it looks like there is room for something else to go in just to the west of it.

I heard that a branch bank will be built there. It seems a bit small, but I for one sure would like SOMEthing else built on that gargantuan lot other than one rinky-dink CVS!

Does anyone know what they are building between the Wendy's and the new Taco Bell on Knox Abbot? I'm hoping for a Central Park. Or a Chick-fil-A, but it looks too small for that.

As the CVS nears completion, it looks like there is room for something else to go in just to the west of it.

It seems like Cayce is getting a little building boom. Too bad it is all suburban in nature and won't really add anything to the city.

Really, Vista West could be the "urban core" for both West Cola and Cayce. Besides the obvious municipal boundaries, I've never really understood the separation of the two. It would be nice if both cities could put an effort into making this area a quality urban environment with integral ties into the river walk.

I guess its more West Cola, but the area where Zesto's is could also be a cool urban area.

I have to admit, Triangle City is one of the most confusing places in Columbia to give people directions through that area. I used to live not too far from Triangle City, and getting people from downtown to our place through Triangle City always seemed to faze me. Is there anyway to improve the traffic setup through that area?

Another area that peeves me is nearby SC-12, which I wish ended at I-26! Maybe someone could explain the history behind this, but I never understood the highway's placement right in the middle of West Columbia. It seems out of place to me. It almost seems like it was trying to be a limited access freeway for people from West Columbia/Cayce but then the project got abandoned.

The only way to make Triangle City less confusing is to remove the "triangles." If Charleston Hwy was moved to 13th St, and the "diagonal" portion were to be removed, it would reduce a lot of the confusion there. People have less difficulty navigating a grid, and if it were properly utilized, traffic congestion could be reduced in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

results of the cayce Charrette can be found here: http://www.cityofcayce-sc.gov/client_resou...ite%20final.pdf

I'm not sure about the 'Well Rounded' campaign. Fat is the first thing that pops into my head.

I like it! As a resident of Cayce, we NEED even a fraction of the recommendations from this charrette. I pray that the town leaders, including our new mayor, will ACT on these great suggestions. I especially like the ideas of updating the logo, streetscaping State Street (my street), and especially making a town out of the State St. "downtown". That area could be HUGE with the market ripe with students, young couples, single people, etc. all around for restaurants like the one in the slide show, ice cream parlors, coffeehouses, etc.

Wow, I hope this happens!

I like the 'downtown' on State Street, and I'd like sidewalks on all the Avenues, but I don't think it will really increase the number of walkers. Who knows, though with the student housing and Riverwalk so close.

I didn't understand a lot of that financial stuff. I guess that's what happens when you get the slide show but no presentation...

You'd be surprised what the addition of sidewalks will do for a community.... particularly if they are done right. In the Avenues, people would be able to walk to stores and restaurants in addition to recreation like parks, the river, etc. The street can technically be used, but people feel safer when there is a sidewalk behind a planting strip. More importantly, sidewalks are frequently a "build it and they will come" type of infrastructure in neighborhoods.