West Columbia, Cayce & Downtown Lexington

krazeeboi

Don't get me wrong Spartan, there are already plenty of folks out walking. I just don't think it would encourage many more. The streets aren't THAT intimidating.

I've always wanted sidewalks, just because it makes the community look nicer and more finished. I'm really surprised it hasn't been done before.

It's not all about safety. Its partially about how it makes the neighborhood look. Sidewalks, curb, and gutter make the street look finished and complete. That neighborhood would increase in value substantially if those were installed and if they fixed up the ratty old park. Granted that's in West Columbia, but it would still improve the area.

It's not all about safety. Its partially about how it makes the neighborhood look. Sidewalks, curb, and gutter make the street look finished and complete. That neighborhood would increase in value substantially if those were installed and if they fixed up the ratty old park. Granted that's in West Columbia, but it would still improve the area.

Spartan, what ratty old park do you refer to in West Columbia?

I really wish cities and neighborhood had the foresight to put sidewalks in neighborhoods. My family walks a lot since we've moved from NE Cola to West Columbia and they would be used a lot. Most of our neighborhood can be seen walking around and we live on an old 50s street that is used as a cut-through to get from Augusta Hwy to Platt Springs Rd. The road is extremely narrow and has ditches which causes it to be dangerous to walk down.

I don't know what it's called. It's over on B Avenue I think.

The one with the tennis courts and log cabin?

I really wish cities and neighborhood had the foresight to put sidewalks in neighborhoods. My family walks a lot since we've moved from NE Cola to West Columbia and they would be used a lot. Most of our neighborhood can be seen walking around and we live on an old 50s street that is used as a cut-through to get from Augusta Hwy to Platt Springs Rd. The road is extremely narrow and has ditches which causes it to be dangerous to walk down.

Dreher Road? No way would I walk on that one.

The one with the tennis courts and log cabin?

Dreher Road? No way would I walk on that one.

Close... It's actually a road that cuts to a road that links to Platt Springs Rd. People used to not know about it but evidently word got out. One of our neighbors contacted DOT and evidently 500 cars come down our road everyday and there are only probably 30-40 houses on it. I guess we are actually out of the "city" of west columbia and cayce so this plan wouldn't help us in the least.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone, this is only my second post, but I follow you guys all the time and love the information you discuss. I have one question. I know that the Rivertown development was put on hold last summer, but has anyone heard the status of this development lately? Also, I found this website and i'm not sure if anyone has posted a rendering of it, but you can view a rendering of Rivertown at www.cometorivertown.com or www.congareeparkdevelopment.com. Thanks you guys

This is the first I've heard of that development unless it was the one proposed for Meeting Street between Alexander and State in West Columbia. If so, I had never seen any renderings of it.

I think that it is the first renderings for the property you are talking about.

These renderings seem to be from fall of 2007 btw.

This is a good place to note... Congaree Park Development guy, Wade Caughman, is turning the old West Columbia bus station -- did not know there was one... it's across Meeting St. from What-A-Burger and Jimmy's Citgo -- into loft-style condos. There are only a few units. They come with IKEA gift cards, I noted on the sign, so I assume the style will be modern.

I read it to mean that they can cram more crappy housing into less space. I guess its technically a density increase, but sprawl is still sprawl even when its denser sprawl. (1/4 acres lots versus 1/2 acre lots). They are still going to negatively impact the area unless meaningful land use regulations are adopted in Lexington County and its towns.

• 3 months later...