West Columbia, Cayce & Downtown Lexington

krazeeboi

This is a callback to a discussion we were having in the Main Street thread about what's generally considered "downtown." My question: Do you guys consider State St. and urbanized areas on the West Columbia side "downtown"?

I've never thought of them as "downtown." That area has always been a separate entity to me.

Maybe. But the river is too much of a psychological barrier. It's not like Greenville where the river is a means to unite their downtown. The Congaree is many times larger/wider so I'm not sure the State Street area will ever be considered downtown, though it could become its own separate "downtown-like" entity (ie: Vista West).

• 1 month later...

I updated the title of this thread to include downtown Lexington since we don't really have another place to discuss this urban node specifically.

There is an article in The State about downtown Lexington's struggle to attract retail businesses. It has about a 20% vacancy rate, and businesses are mostly offices that do work associated with Town or County government.

Main St in Lexington has an interesting dynamic because it is a major commuter route to Columbia, so residents don't want it "enhanced" which would mean slowing traffic and making it more pedestrian friendly. They don't want it widened because it would destroy what character there is in downtown. When I was at USC, I studied this issue for a class, and the most logical solution is to set up Main St as a one-way pair with Butler St. This idea would also require rebuilding one block of the street and extending it south towards the Mill. Obviously the cost and political feasibility were not factors :)

The State

There is an article that talks about how great the new SCANA building is. I'm not impressed at all, though it does put off a lot of light when you're going down 77 at night. Just image if they had invested $142 million in the Palmetto Center or some other office building downtown. And just so y'all understand where I'm coming from, I work in an office tower in Charlotte that's about the same age as the Palmetto Center, and I have access to every one of those things they mention in the article PLUS all of the dining options of uptown Charlotte, access to transit, and post-work entertainment. I don't buy the hype that suburban office campuses can offer more.

There is an articlethat talks about how great the new SCANA building is. I'm not impressed at all, though it does put off a lot of light when you're going down 77 at night. Just image if they had invested $142 million in the Palmetto Center or some other office building downtown. And just so y'all understand where I'm coming from, I work in an office tower in Charlotte that's about the same age as the Palmetto Center, and I have access to every one of those things they mention in the article PLUS all of the dining options of uptown Charlotte, access to transit, and post-work entertainment. I don't buy the hype that suburban office campuses can offer more.

I work at the new campus...and I DEFINITELY am impressed. My first choice would have been to stay downtown, but now that we're moved, I LOVE my new work environment.

So Progress Energy in Raleigh chose to stay downtown and build, Duke Energy is moving into the tower that was initially supposed to be Wachovia's new corporate headquarters in uptown Charlotte, and SCANA abandons downtown and constructs a sprawling campus in the suburbs. I'm sure the new campus is nice, but Timmermann made a bad move with this one. But I have a feeling this will wind up being a blessing in disguise for Columbia. This just opens up space for a company that will be a good corporate citizen and will be committed to downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Julie Cooper, Developer for Cityline Condominiums. Yes, this project has taken forever and still will not fly. Even with a gorgeous, gorgeous new design, promotion and pricing from $199,000 to $265,000. So, finally, after spending way too much money on market development, the project has been abandoned for good. However, stay tuned for something absolutely stunning to take place on that lot.shades.gif

• 7 months later...

The Greater Lexington Chamber and Visitors Center’s board of directors voted unanimously to build a new headquarters on Main Street. The new office will occupy a 1.87-acre lot adjacent to RPM Engineers Inc.

I have a feeling this thing is going to be built in a suburban form with a big useless patch of grass and flowers surrounding it.

What has been developing there?

I Commute threw there alot. ever since the SCANA HQ Been built out there i've seen an Explosion of Development. I Don't quite know what it is yet. but i would love if someone can find out for me beucase they Extended 12th st Even further Pass I-77 and they are Cutting down trees Faster then Ever. In my Vision i see Miniature Harbison in the future in that Area

"Explosion of Development"

I don't know what "explosion" you're talking about. I work at Scana, and the ONLY thing being built right now is the Lexington Country Tennis Center across the street from our HQ. This area will be getting development in the future, but not much is going on right now.

"Explosion of Development"

I don't know what "explosion" you're talking about. I work at Scana, and the ONLY thing being built right now is the Lexington Country Tennis Center across the street from our HQ. This area will be getting development in the future, but not much is going on right now.

Yes it is. they cleared out so much land and extended 12th st waaaaaay past I-77 Now. they are building some kinda building across the street from SCANA in what was the woods. and after that IDK but i know that area is looking at a Big development change. recently

"Yes it is. they cleared out so much land and extended 12th st waaaaaay past I-77 Now. they are building some kinda building across the street from SCANA in what was the woods. and after that IDK but i know that area is looking at a Big development change. recently"

Dude...I work right here. I see what's going on EVERYDAY. The big cleared out land across the street from Scana is the Lexington County Tennis Center, as I said before...that's it. Besides the road being extended, there is NO other construction going on here right now. I'm looking out my window at it as we speak. Stop exagerating.

"Yes it is. they cleared out so much land and extended 12th st waaaaaay past I-77 Now. they are building some kinda building across the street from SCANA in what was the woods. and after that IDK but i know that area is looking at a Big development change. recently"

Dude...I work right here. I see what's going on EVERYDAY. The big cleared out land across the street from Scana is the Lexington County Tennis Center, as I said before...that's it. Besides the road being extended, there is NO other construction going on here right now. I'm looking out my window at it as we speak. Stop exagerating.

So, I guess there won't be a Burj Palmetto going up on West Bank, anytime soon. :P

• 1 month later...

There are a good amount of developments in Lexington currently. A new publix shopping center is opening in 2011. A new child hair cuttery has opened. ZPizza has opened it's second location is South Carolina. A summit auto collision center is also slated. There are also several other developments in Lexington.

• 4 weeks later...

Some new beautification efforts are about to get underway in West Columbia. Triangle City is slated to gain a signature fountain and site-specific signs at major entranceways. Plans are to make that happen within two years. Upgrades are almost complete on new storefronts, improved parking and buried power lines in a two-block portion of 12th Street between B and D avenues, where Zesto’s restaurant is the best-known landmark. The most ambitious new plan is streetscaping along Sunset Boulevard from the Congaree River to the city limits at the I-26 interchange that abuts Lexington Medical Center. It's expected to be complete within 3-5 years.

Here's a rough sketch of the $200,000 brick fountain planned for the median along the Charleston Highway and Augusta Street across from Dan Rich furniture store. At 20 ft in diameter and about 7 ft tall, the three-sided, lighted fountain will have new Triangle City signs that later will be copied at entranceways to the commercial area. If the grant for the fountain is approved soon, it should be ready next summer.

B82533038Z.1_20101205192044_000_GE71UVL18.2-0.standalone.prod_affiliate.74_1_.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg