Hobbies

Mith242

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not to difficult and actually a lot of fun.

Anything that comes in contact with the beer needs to be sanitized or exposed to boiling water for a good while. That is important!!!

I'd use a recipe kit first time around.

You take 5 gallons of water bring it to a boil. Add the malt syrup or extract once you have a boil. Boil it for about 45 to an hour. Cool down the wort as fast as possible (75 F). Place the boiled wort in a fermenter (6 gallon bucket with an airlock works fine - about 15 bucks). Take a specific gravity reading with a hydrometer. Add brewers yeast. Cover and seal the container. Allow it to ferment for about 1 to 1.5 weeks once bubbling stops and you have a consistent hydrometer reading three days in a row. Siphon the beer minus sediment in a bottling tank. Add a solution of boiled priming sugar and water to the beer. Bottle and cap the beer in santized bottles. Let the beer bottle condition and age for about two weeks or so. Drink beer. :yahoo:

So far its been fun. Its fermenting now. So there are bubbles coming out of the airlock all the time. more to follow when I get to the bottling and drinking stage.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Yeah, I posted something else in this Coffee Shop that eludes to it, but rockhounding has returned at being a hobby. I like video-editing, web-site development, and volleyball and soccer, too. The formers are probably my more consistent hobbies. Urban planeteering goes without saying.

Yeah, I posted something else in this Coffee Shop that eludes to it, but rockhounding has returned at being a hobby. I like video-editing, web-site development, and volleyball and soccer, too. The formers are probably my more consistent hobbies. Urban planeteering goes without saying.

Archived