Possible Eastern PA Relocation...

USA11B

Job offer, one of the options given for relocation is Philly/Eastern PA area.

Just looking for any suggestions, comments, advice...Out of the locations given, we kinda think this would be the area we would like the most, BUT, don't really know anything about the area, other than all the stories of how people are pretty rude, don't like outsiders, etc. Also housing seems to be VERY EXPENSIVE!

I've looked even as far up as Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, and housing seemed pretty high.

Any suggestions, areas to look? Have a family, so apt, condo, small house not an option. Good public schools important. Can afford up to about 225k. Anywhere in the Philly area, including New Jersey, Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, may be able to go out a little ways, probably up to about 60-90 miles out from Philly.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Job offer, one of the options given for relocation is Philly/Eastern PA area.

Just looking for any suggestions, comments, advice...Out of the locations given, we kinda think this would be the area we would like the most, BUT, don't really know anything about the area, other than all the stories of how people are pretty rude, don't like outsiders, etc. Also housing seems to be VERY EXPENSIVE!

I've looked even as far up as Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, and housing seemed pretty high.

Any suggestions, areas to look? Have a family, so apt, condo, small house not an option. Good public schools important. Can afford up to about 225k. Anywhere in the Philly area, including New Jersey, Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, may be able to go out a little ways, probably up to about 60-90 miles out from Philly.

Thanks

Philly is actually pretty affordable. I think you can do fine with 225K, as long as you are willing to commute. Perhaps the far NW suburbs (Collegeville) may be up your alley. There are also plenty of places closer in (Upper Darby, Lansdowne, etc.) that are very affordable. It depends on what you're looking for. As for people not liking outsiders, I don't get that sense at all. Again, it'll depend on where you live. Center City Philadelphia (the downtown area) and some suburbs are filled with transplants. Then there are neighborhoods and suburbs that are more "close knit" (read: don't like outsiders). As for rudeness, again, it'll depend on where you live. Metro Philly is a big and diverse area and you can find posh suburbs filled with mansions and some of the worst ghetto in the western world. It's not like a smaller city where some impressions can characterize the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived