Some Good News, Some Bad News

ctman987

First the bad news....No Fish Today will be closing on Pratt Street. This comes just weeks after Becker's announced it will be closing its Pratt Street location. I saw an interview with the owner of Beckers and he did not seem to be very happy with Hartford and had an attitude about it. This means with no Cuginos and No Fish Today as well as no store front Lux Bond and no Becker's Pratt Street needs some help

And the good news...Hartford will get another 150 jobs when GlobeOp opens a downtown Hartford office at Goodwin Square. This is great becaus this is an entirely new company opening in the city which means besides the incentives that had to choose Hartford for some reason

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pratt Street is beautiful, and I can't see those spaces being vacant for to long. I'm sure another business will snap up the space soon.

I sure hope so...a lot of new places have opened ...although no retail stores but nevertheless Sweet Janes Rock N Roll Cafe, The Russel and Joe Blacks have recently opened on the street

There should be a little bit of a shake out in the next couple of years. There will be more feet on the street. I assume rents will rise. The mix of retail and the taste of the residents will change a bit. Thta wil be good for some shops and not so good for others.

I'm not too worried about it. As the article states, this is probably a situation specific shut-down as opposed to an indication of the market as a whole.

As others have stated, we should know a lot more about the future of downtown housing in December-February when we start getting information about how well H21 is filling up.

Now it is bad that plans were scrapped for a piece of property that is one of the last undeveloped buildings downtown but I dont think its the market as much as the cost of everything like the market said. I think project scrappings are to be expected...I know in Philly they cancelled a condo project that was supposed to happen near the Penns landing

First the bad news....No Fish Today will be closing on Pratt Street. This comes just weeks after Becker's announced it will be closing its Pratt Street location. I saw an interview with the owner of Beckers and he did not seem to be very happy with Hartford and had an attitude about it. This means with no Cuginos and No Fish Today as well as no store front Lux Bond and no Becker's Pratt Street needs some help

My wife just spoke with No Fish's owner. Like Becker's the main reason they are closing is because Northland raise the rent to the point that it is not feesible for them to stay in business. Cuginos is moving across the street as a smaller restaurant. The art gallery would have left had they not talked Northland into a smaller increase. I don't know what Norhtland has in mind, but clearly they did not care about losing or want those tenants.

My wife just spoke with No Fish's owner. Like Becker's the main reason they are closing is because Northland raise the rent to the point that it is not feesible for them to stay in business. Cuginos is moving across the street as a smaller restaurant. The art gallery would have left had they not talked Northland into a smaller increase. I don't know what Norhtland has in mind, but clearly they did not care about losing or want those tenants.

I'm becoming very skeptical about Northland, considering all the tenants they've lost recently, including those and Motofoto and Lux Bond & Green (who had to move into Stackpole).

I'm becoming very skeptical about Northland, considering all the tenants they've lost recently, including those and Motofoto and Lux Bond & Green (who had to move into Stackpole).

I believe they have a plan, isn't the Goodwin slated for a makeover?

It's possible Northland might have better things going into those spots. Let just wait and see, before we come to conclusions.

I believe Northland owns the entire north side of Pratt Street, except (probably) the building with Woody's, Jojo's, and the empty Flamingo's/possible sushi place.

Yes you are right. I am glad Northland is investing heavily into Hartford, but I don't think I want Northland as my landlord. The sushi place starts construction next week.

Northland wants tenants that will make downtown a 7 day a week city. From what I understand, No Fish Today refused to ever open on Sundays, even when there are UConn games and conventions. It is a nice location and Northland will get a more city oriented restaurant there. I never got the name, "No Fish Today." Did they have fish or didn't they?

Northland wants tenants that will make downtown a 7 day a week city. From what I understand, No Fish Today refused to ever open on Sundays, even when there are UConn games and conventions. It is a nice location and Northland will get a more city oriented restaurant there. I never got the name, "No Fish Today." Did they have fish or didn't they?

No Fish Today is like Cuginos...never open that much. But on that note every store, restaurant, bar, etc counts and it will take someone to make a leap of faith and invest in opening a restaurant in a now vacant retail space.

Also the building where Woody's is located is the American Airlines Building which is owned by College Street LLC/David Nyberg

It's tough to run a business. Americans want stores to be open at least 15 hours a day, 365 days a year, and no wonder why the big chains are killing independently-owned businesses.

the name no fish today comes from bootleggers durring the prohibition era. 'no fish today' meant the joint had booze, 'fish today' meant they were out of booze.

Yeah, it is tough to run a business, but you can't feel bad for someone like No Fish Today with a great location that was closed during UConn games, concerts, etc. The night of the Madonna concert Pratt Street was packed and TK and other places had a waiting list. NFT was part of the old Hartford roll up the sidewalks on the weekends.

Starbucks is not open on Sunday UConn or no UConn games, I doubt Northland wants Strabucks out too. While I think it would be nice to have everyone open 7 days a week, unfortunatelly for most businesses in Hartford, they would be losing money doing so.

Starbucks is not open on Sunday UConn or no UConn games, I doubt Northland wants Strabucks out too. While I think it would be nice to have everyone open 7 days a week, unfortunatelly for most businesses in Hartford, they would be losing money doing so.

Hopefully with new residential and increased activity downtown this will change. A starbucks shouldn't be closed on a Sunday in any downtown.

Archived