Some Good News, Some Bad News

ctman987

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savannah and Low Country were OK, but not great. They were also overpriced for what they were offering. Cate's didn't get good reviews either, but I never ate there. So the last 3 restaurants were not really winners. I think the atmosphere in that area and downtown in general has improved sufficiently now for the businesses to begin to thrive and for further development (the brownstone neighborhood in SODO) to become reality now. With the library renovations complete, Cappuccinno's, DD, Subway, Emperor and Peppercorn's all on that one block with City Hall, The MDC, and The Federal Building, there's really no excuse for things not to take off now.

MAX didn't invest in the city by opening up Trumbull Kitchen. Another restaurant group was looking into opening a restaurant in that space and in order to freeze out the competition, MAX leased the place and voila, TK. It actually works great for them becuase whenever they are sold out (i.e. concert night/graduation) and the client wants a recommendation, they tell them to go to Trumbull Kitchen.

Either Max is a business that is locally owned and operated. Max's has two locations in the heart of downtown that are on par with restaurants in Manhattan and Boston. They also have restaurants in upscale suburbs like Avon and Glastonbury.

Also, the group that owns Wood 'n' Tap, Agave, and Vaughan's may open another downtown restaurant. One possible location: the old Capitol Fish/Savannah/Low Country near Peppercorn's on Main Street.

I sure hope they do...I love Wood N' Tap and they are opening up a 4th one in Rocky Hill on the corner of the Silas Deane Highway and Town Line Road right off I-91 by the Wethersfield line. I think this group could come up with another great downtown restaurant very easily

Archived