Some Good News, Some Bad News

ctman987

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starbucks closes during parades. That's plain stupid. It closes early. Dunkin Donuts is open on Sundays and it is busy.

Thank God for JoJo's. Always open and the coffee and treats are 10 times better.

Thank you. Having a rough day today until reading this.

Yeah, it is tough to run a business, but you can't feel bad for someone like No Fish Today with a great location that was closed during UConn games, concerts, etc. The night of the Madonna concert Pratt Street was packed and TK and other places had a waiting list. NFT was part of the old Hartford roll up the sidewalks on the weekends.

Actually, I can feel bad for No Fish Today. Another local business gone from downtown Hartford, yet this is supposed to be the "Renassance" of Hartford. Can there be a Renassance is there is nobody there? Obviously there wasn't enough business to stay open on Saturday, and anyone can tell walking in Hartford on any Saturday. Even with Madonna.

You gotta wonder why No Fish Today couldn't make it when places like Vaughan's, Hot Tomato's, Morton's, Spris, Max, and Trumbull are thriving.

Personally, I never ate there because of the name. I just figured they didn't have fish, and something with "no" in the title sort of has a negative feel to it. I just learned what it mean on this forum. I wonder how many other young people didn't understand it either. What was No Fish known for?

I think Vaughan's is successful because they are always open. Recipe for success.

You gotta wonder why No Fish Today couldn't make it when places like Vaughan's, Hot Tomato's, Morton's, Spris, Max, and Trumbull are thriving.

Personally, I never ate there because of the name. I just figured they didn't have fish, and something with "no" in the title sort of has a negative feel to it. I just learned what it mean on this forum. I wonder how many other young people didn't understand it either. What was No Fish known for?

I think Vaughan's is successful because they are always open. Recipe for success.

It was actually known for it's fish/seafood ironically.

Because it was a small family-owned restaurant.... There's a need for those too, you know. It was no large restaurant/nightclub like the other places you've mentioned. I suppose you think 'bigger is better' but that's not always the case!

Restaurants with good reputations, good food, good drinks, good whatever will thrive no matter where they are which is why places like Hot Tomato's, Max's, Trumbull Kitchen, etc. do so well

That's not true, considering pretty much all of downtown Hartford's restaurants from 10 years ago are gone today.

Restaurants with good reputations, good food, good drinks, good whatever will thrive no matter where they are which is why places like Hot Tomato's, Max's, Trumbull Kitchen, etc. do so well

I totally agree. Serve a good product, and they will come.

Where did you read that?

Most restaurants here in Boston have been around for a while

Most new restaurants don't last 3 years. More fail within 5 years, only the true survivors last 10 years or longer. I am too lazy to dig up stats, but I am quite sure National Restuarant Association, the other NRA, will have them. Restaurant is a tough tough business, you have to really know what you are doing, and are a little mad to get into it.

Max Dowtown has been in the city for years...after differant locations but all in the city. The owner also invested in the city by opening up Trumbull Kitchen.

Vito's by the Park, City Steam, and Hot Tomato's have also been in the city for a little bit of time (I believe). If something is good people will travel to Hartford to eat it if they cant get it in there hometown.

Also on another note....Wood N Tap the popular West End restaurant is opening a 4th location in Rocky Hill right off I-91 by the Wethersfield line

MAX didn't invest in the city by opening up Trumbull Kitchen. Another restaurant group was looking into opening a restaurant in that space and in order to freeze out the competition, MAX leased the place and voila, TK. It actually works great for them becuase whenever they are sold out (i.e. concert night/graduation) and the client wants a recommendation, they tell them to go to Trumbull Kitchen.

No Fish Today is leaving because of a rent increase. Northland doubled it, but apparently has a new tenant lined up: a Mexican restaurant.

Also, the group that owns Wood 'n' Tap, Agave, and Vaughan's may open another downtown restaurant. One possible location: the old Capitol Fish/Savannah/Low Country near Peppercorn's on Main Street.

No Fish Today is leaving because of a rent increase. Northland doubled it, but apparently has a new tenant lined up: a Mexican restaurant.

Also, the group that owns Wood 'n' Tap, Agave, and Vaughan's may open another downtown restaurant. One possible location: the old Capitol Fish/Savannah/Low Country near Peppercorn's on Main Street.

That area on Main St is odd, every restaurant looks empty all the time. It's no coincidence that they are always going out of business. If they could build up the area some **cough, brownstones on Capitol Ave, tower at Linden/Elm, cough** they'd have a ton of foot traffic from residents there instead of just 2 or 3 buildings...

Archived