Crescent City Boulevard Development (IKEA)

dubone

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummmm a new SuperUltraWal-Mart :)

Seriously, though, I feel 90% certain that this is IKEA....I think it's the location that they would want, they sq. ft. is dead on, and they have been looking to do a Charlotte store for a while.

I can't think of another single store that would occupy that square footage besides department stores, and there is no way in the world this is the site a new flagship Belk.

While I will remain skeptical, yet mostly optimistic, about IKEA coming to this location (just in time for my next move back to Charlotte,) I can't honestly think of any stores of this size except, as you all said, department stores. Hasn't Sears started building standalone stores? Also, what is the usual footprint for a CostCo?

If there is a strip involved, I would at least like to see a bookstore or two to give Grey's and the campus B&N some competition on pricing for college books.

Take this for what it is worth, but I am 99.9 % sure that this is going to be an IKEA. I had made a mention some time back in a different thread that IKEA was moving to town. I got the info from a friend of mine who is in mangement at one of the IKEA's in PA. Basically she pretty much confirmed that sometime between 2007-2008 Charlotte was to be getting an IKEA.

A2

Take this for what it is worth, but I am 99.9 % sure that this is going to be an IKEA. I had made a mention some time back in a different thread that IKEA was moving to town. I got the info from a friend of mine who is in mangement at one of the IKEA's in PA. Basically she pretty much confirmed that sometime between 2007-2008 Charlotte was to be getting an IKEA.

A2

While UC doesn't need another big box, I'm glad that IKEA is finally bringing its name --and its products-- to Charlotte. Of all the areas in Charlotte, it does make sense for it to be built here anyway. I mean, one of the higher pop density and college students moving into apartments on what seems to be a monthly basis (outside of the spring months.) New apartments must be furnished. Why not go to the cheaper "newage" style megastore right down the street?

The plot thickens... According to this release about Atlantic Station in Atlanta, the IKEA store there is 366,000 square feet. That's pretty close to 380,000.

Atlantic Station Redevelopment Overview

Well, based on that model, IKEA takes about two years from announcement to opening, so I'm hoping for an announcement soon. Otherwise I may not even live here anymore by the time it opens. Who knows?

On the positive, it looks like Crescent may pay to have City Blvd. extended a bit further to serve the site....this could help the city get the road extended all the way to Univ. City Blvd. since the huge cost overruns have tied that project up.

Assuming this is an IKEA, I'm actually glad its out in the burbs.....a 380k sq. ft. store has no place in an urban environment if it requires parking....and IKEAs definetely require LOTS of parking.

I saw that. My hope is that that is technically how they pursuing the rezoning, so that they are not on the spot to build roads if the public-private partnerships to build those two connector roads falls through.

For the sake of traffic in that area, I really hope that the roads aren't just added to some list for them to be done circa 2019.

Aussieluke's comment about costco got me wondering how they compared to IKEA. So I looked up the world's largest costco as of last year, which was built in Hillsboro, Oregon. I have been to this store and it is huge. However, it is only around 200,000 sq ft, almost 180,000 sq ft smaller than this space. While I have no clue what this will be, if it is 380.000 sq ft, I think we can be fairly confident it will not be a Costco or anything similar.

Thanks soc. It seems pretty much, based on the other siteplan details, like car pick up locations, and delivery spots, that this is a single store. So, pretty much, this is looking more and more like an IKEA.

Thank goodness this is in Mecklenburg county.

Thanks soc. It seems pretty much, based on the other siteplan details, like car pick up locations, and delivery spots, that this is a single store. So, pretty much, this is looking more and more like an IKEA.

Thank goodness this is in Mecklenburg county.

True D. I thought for sure it (IKEA) was going to go around the Concord Mills Mall area when they annouced plans for an expansion into Charlotte Metro. Again, I am not 100% that this is the actual site for the IKEA, but all signs point to it clearly being it.

A2

Ok, if that CostCo is that big and it is the largest at 200,000... man. I guess I never really thought about mapping out 380k square feet. If a CostCo is half that size, that's insanely big. I went to an IKEA outside of Pittsburgh and it seemed large, but I guess with all the walls and displays, it didn't seem to even be as big as a CostCo. That said, I'm aware of all the space required for furniture to be stored, my first job ever was at an OfficeMax. The warehouse was about the same size as the store's selling floor. So, all in all. This makes sense and I have to agree that few things could fill 380k by a single tenant.

I too am happy, even as a temporary Concord resident, that this made its way into Charlotte city limits. Concord Mills has enough traffic as it is. That said, so does UC, but hopefully having direct access to I85 will mean the impact on the roadways will be minimal and actually positive if the connection of CB and UCB is made.

Speaking of which, I wonder, if the connection is made, will the exit and the short roadway that is City Blvd just have its name changed to University City Blvd. Seems a little pointless to have UCB change names to CB for a mile-long stretch; not that that isn't already a problem in Charlotte to begin with.

When they connect, it will be all be University City Boulevard. (Not that that isn't an equally pointless name, but I guess it works well in placeless suburbia to just state the obvious).

Don't worry, someday down the road they will probably rename the road after some pointless politician or one of UNCC's Chancellors.

Archived