Crescent City Boulevard Development (IKEA)

dubone

IKEA's distribution center in Britain uses light wells in the roof that automatically shut off the electric lights when the sunlight reaches a set intensity. Their store in Brooklyn, MA is built on a brownfield site that they paid to clean and restore. Still, most stores, even in places like Iceland, are set back surrounded by large parking lots.

A2, in regards to Concord Mills, it is my understanding that IKEA was initially asked by the Mills Corp to consider a store across Concord Mills Blvd (from the mall). IKEA did not think our region had the numbers to build then, so they passed on the location.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what the rules are on "Mixed Use Development District" (MUDD) zoning? This project is going for MUDD-O zoning (with the O being a few exceptions they are outlining in their zoning). But if this really is just an IKEA, then what makes it mixed use? Is it allowed to be mixed use zoning with just a single use?

Sure...there are plenty of examples of only residential in MUDD districts. It really just eases restrictions....density (pretty much unlimited), parking ratios, building heights (120'), setbacks (no sideyards). I'm not sure if there are any added restrictions by going to MUDD....all that said, I found it odd as well that they would seek MUDD, except I think the issue could be Charlotte doesn't allow retail stores of that size in its normal commercial zoning categories (B, CC, NS, etc.)

In yesterday's paper, a new 400-unit apartment, 200k sq foot office space, 25k worth of commercial space and a hotel on McCullough Dr was proposed for vote on Monday. The complex is supposed to be built to "set the benchmark high for future multifamily development in northeast Charlotte." I like the concept because the buildings won't look like apartment buildings, but rather large houses with garages and fireplaces.

Link

In yesterday's paper, a new 400-unit apartment, 200k sq foot office space, 25k worth of commercial space and a hotel on McCullough Dr was proposed for vote on Monday. The complex is supposed to be built to "set the benchmark high for future multifamily development in northeast Charlotte." I like the concept because the buildings won't look like apartment buildings, but rather large houses with garages and fireplaces.

Link

I'm pretty sure this is the same development that was mentioned at the current end of the "Will the University area ever be cleaned up?" thread. The development was supposed to be voted on at that time, back in July. Since then, however, it appears they've knocked off 5,000 square feet of commercial space from their original proposal of 30,000 square feet and cut the proposed office space in half (from 400,000 square feet down to 200,000). I'm still not sure I'm 100% behind this development, but I do like the idea of The Big House apartments. At least it's something new for the area. These examples are close to how I imagine the apartments would look for this project:

Glenbridge Manors, Cincinnati, OH

12083_1_big.jpg

Mapleshade Residences, Dallas, TX

12015_1_big.jpg

Last night, the City Council approved the apartments, office space, and commercial space off of McCullough. This project is near the intersection of McCullough and Harris, behind Chili's and the other restaurants.

As far as the City Boulevard development goes, it appears to have stalled for the moment. The rezoning site now lists this petition as being indefinitely deferred. I actually hope this project gets built. Living in the University area, I know that the last thing the area needs is another big box store, no matter what that store is. However, I realize the importance of this project as far as getting a connector road built between City Boulevard and McCullough.

Going just about anywhere in University City requires a trip on 85, Tryon, Harris, Mallard Creek, Mallard Creek Church, or University City Boulevard. There are constantly plans to fix this problem, but they take forever to come to fruition. Construction of 485 between the northern interchange with 85 and the northern interchange with 77 keeps getting pushed back. The city came up with a way to fix The Weave and finally connect City Boulevard and University City Boulevard, only to run into red tape with the state. The westward extension of City Boulevard/University City Boulevard towards Mallard Creek Road has no beginning in sight, seeing as the Mallard Creek Road/Graham Street project is perpetually unfunded. The "Future Roadway" sign at the intersection of Graham/Mineral Springs/Sugar Creek seems to be there simply as a joke. Nevin Road is supposed to eventually connect to IBM Drive, but the keyword there is "eventually."

Crescent owns all of the land that this road would require, starting with the existing stub off of McCullough. Usually when roads are built by developers, they're simply stubbed for future connections, which may not occur for many years to come, if ever. The neighborhood next to ours, for example, has a street that was stubbed for a future connection. However, our neighborhood built right next to this at a different elevation, leaving no possibility for a connection. The fact that Crescent actually wants to go ahead and build this road through the entire length of their property is a pretty big deal to me. I realize they only want the road built for their own benefit, but I think it'll be beneficial to the surrounding area as well. It will help take some of the traffic off of Tryon, especially for people trying to get to 85 South from McCullough. And just across Harris, off of JW Clay, is Emerald Cove Road. This road is currently stubbed at the property line. Just on the other side of the property next to this, maybe half a mile away, is the stubbed end of Berkeley Place Drive, which connects to Mallard Creek Church. If the property in between is sold or developed, I hope that the city requires the two roads to be connected. This would not only create access from Mallard Creek Church to the Shoppes at University Place (which in itself would be a big deal), but when coupled with Crescent's connector road would also create a route that roughly parallels Tryon from Mallard Creek Church to City Boulevard.

The Observer article posted earlier in this thread makes no mention of the possibility of a bridge over 85, which isn't surprising to me, but is somewhat disappointing. I know bridges aren't particularly cheap or easy to build, especially when you're building one over an interstate. However, I hope that Crescent still considers building it to improve access to their site. And as dubone pointed out earlier in this thread, it really would make this project more significant to other parts of the city. Cindy Lane is currently being extended across Statesville Road to align with Nevin Road, which is also being extended from Sugar Creek Road to Mallard Creek Road. These projects are already under construction. Once these projects are complete, there will be a straight shot from Beatties Ford over 77 and into Derita, without having to use Harris or Sunset. Eventually these projects will tie into the Nevin Road extension to IBM, as well as an extension to Auten Road in northwest Charlotte, which will then complete the parallel route of 85 from Brookshire Boulevard to IBM. This bridge, if built, would help make that route even more significant by crossing over 85 to Tryon. And locally, along with City Boulevard, it would help keep some traffic going between URP and McCullough, and even Tryon, off of Harris.

The connector road itself would prove valuable if a proposed development directly across Tryon from the Commons at Chancellor Park (the Home Depot/Circuit City shopping center) gets built. This particular development, as far as I can tell, would only have access to Tryon with the existing road network. Currently, there's a median preventing left turns onto Tryon in front of this site. I don't typically mind these types of medians, but with this proposed development off of Tryon, traffic wanting to head to Harris, 85 North, University City Boulevard, or simply go north on Tryon would be forced to turn right and head to The Weave to attempt a U-turn. The connector road would provide a safer, more convenient way for people leaving that development to get out.

With these things in mind, I support this development, whether it be an IKEA or anything else really. However, if Crescent can't get the connector road built at the time of this development, then I'd scale back, or even retract, my support for the project. I don't particularly want a "future road" that will be built eventually. Ideally, this project would help get City Boulevard connected to University City Boulevard, but if not, I can deal with "future City Boulevard" for now. But to me, the connector road should be required. Granted this whole post could prove to be moot if the petition remains deferred or gets withdrawn. Crescent already announced initial plans for a larger, mixed-use project in this area back in 2003 -- though I don't think they went as far as actually submitting a rezoning petition that time -- so anything's possible.

Or I wonder if they are just waiting deferring it until they have a roads deal in place, and then will spend the money on the rezoning process.

One would hope that it wasn't such a tenuous situation that it fell through only a week or so after being presented to council.

Or I wonder if they are just waiting deferring it until they have a roads deal in place, and then will spend the money on the rezoning process.

One would hope that it wasn't such a tenuous situation that it fell through only a week or so after being presented to council.

That's my hope too. I think they're trying to get the roads deal done. I would assume that if they went ahead and filed a rezoning petition that they're somewhat serious about developing this land. I think there's probably just a lot to get sorted out with the roads, particularly with how Crescent would be paid back if they went ahead and built the road now.

That's my hope too. I think they're trying to get the roads deal done. I would assume that if they went ahead and filed a rezoning petition that they're somewhat serious about developing this land. I think there's probably just a lot to get sorted out with the roads, particularly with how Crescent would be paid back if they went ahead and built the road now.

I agree, it's not really like Charlotte to promote -connectivity- in University City, much less be offered it by a developer. They're going to have to sort a lot of stuff out since they apparently aren't very used to this idea. I would not be surprised to see this project stall out, just do to its to-good-to-be-true nature (as far as connectivity, not so much with the big box.) However, I really love this idea and I could care less what gets built on the road along with the project as long as the road gets built.

I wonder who owns the property between Emerald Grove and Berkeley Place. It would be interesting to see that little side path parallel to N Tryon. It's a shame the way UC was laid out initially with the huge road blocks that are I-85, UNCC, and URP. While they are the primary reasons UC is UC, they create massive blockages that prevent roadways to run through (or over) them without significant funding. One college area I wish UC could've mirrored instead is that of Gainesville, FL around the University of Florida. The square of highway style roads around the campus that go out in a # fashion, acting as the connector roads to tens of roads going parallel to each main road outside of the campus. It's a very interesting design with great connectivity.

EDIT: see below

Did you just refer to the Crescent City Blvd Development/possible IKEA as a smart growth project? :huh:

Don't get me wrong, I was/am for this project, with necessary road connections, and sales tax revenues within the core city/county for a major retailing draw.

But I think it would be a long stretch to consider it smart growth. But I might be out of touch with the definition du jour for that term.

Did you just refer to the Crescent City Blvd Development/possible IKEA as a smart growth project? :huh:

Don't get me wrong, I was/am for this project, with necessary road connections, and sales tax revenues within the core city/county for a major retailing draw.

But I think it would be a long stretch to consider it smart growth. But I might be out of touch with the definition du jour for that term.

You're right, I'm not sure how that got in there. Big boxes are what destroyed UC in the long run, I was more referring to the smart growth idea of laying down better infrastructure in the plan, rather than the development going along with the plan.

• 2 weeks later...

So that is indirectly good news. It sounds like they are just regrouping to do a larger project. Perhaps they feel they have more standing if they go at it as a mixed-use project rather than a mega box only, and other uses later.

So that is indirectly good news. It sounds like they are just regrouping to do a larger project. Perhaps they feel they have more standing if they go at it as a mixed-use project rather than a mega box only, and other uses later.

let's hope you're right. From my eye, anything positive for the UC area is bound to be a dead duck eventually. I think it's really just the city's sprawly suburban dumping ground to get larger population figures within city limits. I wish there was some organization, corporation, or even a wealthy UNCC alumni with enough pride in that area to propose a project that does nothing but good for the area. And by propose, I mean see it through to completion. Something that gives the area a positive identity.

• 2 weeks later...

Swepwood, which will produce furniture for IKEA home furnishing stores in North America, has chosen a site in Danville, VA to build a manufacturing operation center there. Do you think this means Charlotte might be closer to getting one?

The reason why I posted this is because it reminded me of when Crate and Barrel decided to open a distribution center in Lincoln County and then Charlotte got a store later on.

Swepwood, which will produce furniture for IKEA home furnishing stores in North America, has chosen a site in Danville, VA to build a manufacturing operation center there. Do you think this means Charlotte might be closer to getting one?

The reason why I posted this is because it reminded me of when Crate and Barrel decided to open a manufacturing center in Lincoln County and then Charlotte got a store later on.

C&B opened a distribution center in Lincoln County, not a manufacturing plant. I don't know anything about IKEA's plans. I am liking that IKEA will use US manufacturing.

• 2 months later...
TRUE STORY: The wife and I were up in Connecticut for the holidays and decided to take a trip to the IKEA in New Haven. When they asked for ID to verify credit card, the person behind the counter Noticed the Charlotte address, and immediately let us know that she, and a number of the employees from that store have already agreed to move down to Charlotte to open an IKEA store. The timeline they were given is just under 2 years. The site has already been picked out, and the project is a GO. You can't imagine how excited we are. I know the usual blah blah about NC furniture, and we in fact just bought a number of pieces from Thomasville. But, all you IKEA haters cannot deny the ingenuity and thought that goes into all of their products. And if you have not seen the items that showcase this, give em a chance!!!!!

Funny you should say, I was up in the NoVa area this past Christmas and was buying some furniture & accesories for myself and I was talking to a man in the Kitchen department about remodeling my kitchen and my girlfriend blurted out that IKEA was coming to Charlotte and he was very stunned at that and said,"Really, I would've never thought, it doesn't seem like a market we would enter into, where did you find this out?" I told him I found the rumor off of this site and he still seemed to question me. And yes Lot66, while the stuff made be out of cheap materials, you can't beat the thought that goes into these products to make them unique. I've seen your arguments on IKEA monsoon and I think you might like the store's ideas and thought they put into items though the product itself might not be of best quality. :) A person could literally spend a day at one store and the newer stores have "model homes" inside the showroom to show how you can live in 350 SF, 500 SF, 800 SF, etc. Truly a unique store that I will gladly welcome!

Archived