Preseason Superbowl Preview

AuLukey

With the upcoming game of the Panthers vs the Steelers, the two teams picked to go to the SB this year by many, I can't help but wonder whether this Thursday night's game is a preseason preview of the big game. They are scheduled to play again at the end of the regular season, so will it be a threepeat this year?

With their records coming out of their first three games being total opposites, it is obvious to notice how the teams differ in how they treat the preseason. The Panthers (3-0) seem to be more focused on winning and the big-game than on trying out their prospective talent while the Steelers (0-3) are obviously a 3-0 team, yet they are more willing to "lose" a preseason game in order to rest their vets and try out the young-guns. Will the trend remain for the fourth game or will Cowher treat this more as a study session to check-out the Panthers so his team will be ready in February?

I also have a random question; have any two non-conference teams played each other once in each season phase (pre-, regular, and post-season?)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seattle over Indy.

Seattle? History has taught us that teams have often failed to produce following a loss in the Super Bowl. (Buffalo being a major exception).

Look at Oakland's record after losing to Tampa Bay. They've won 13 games since then. Look at Philadelphia last season (though they were destined to fail - not only did they lose in the Super Bowl, their QB was on the cover of Madden '06). And after a crushing upset to my New England Patriots in Super Bowl 36, the Rams finished the 2002 season 7-9.

Seattle is poised to win their division (or could this be the year for Arizona?) but with Shaun Alexander on the cover of Madden '07, he should be expecting a season-ending injury any day now.

I won't even get into Indy. Let's just put it like this: that "offensive pass interference" penalty that stopped the Giants from making a comeback and winning the Manning Bowl last weekend was the first of many obvious signs that the NFL is rigged in favor of Peyton Manning and the Colts.

Seattle? History has taught us that teams have often failed to produce following a loss in the Super Bowl. (Buffalo being a major exception).

And all of those teams lost for football reasons (free agency, injuries, etc.) Seattle has the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFC, Carolina, NY, and Tampa Bay all have home losses, expect Seattle to buck that trend. Unlike those teams of the past, Seattle improved in the off season.

And all of those teams lost for football reasons (free agency, injuries, etc.) Seattle has the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFC, Carolina, NY, and Tampa Bay all have home losses, expect Seattle to buck that trend. Unlike those teams of the past, Seattle improved in the off season.

True, but easy schedules only get you to the playoffs, then it's a whole different ballgame. Carolina, NY, and TB, withstanding a visit from the injury bug, will all make it to the playoffs. Once Carolina gets Steve Smith healthy, they'll turn back into the team they were last year, only this time with Keyshawn Johnson.

^ easy schedules can also get you homefield advantage for the playoffs. Seattle has one of the best homefield advantages in the NFL.

touche

EDIT: I'll feel a little better once Smith gets back on the field again and the double coverage switches from Keyshawn Johnson (who sadly can't handle that as well) over to Smith, leaving Smith wide open AND Keyshawn wide open. Even high school quarterbacks can hit one of those two targets. Love ya Jake!

I am very excited for this Sunday's match up between my Seahawks and the Giants. We won last year...in one of the most bizarre football games I have ever seen. This year the Giants have looked good. The Hawks are once again starting semi-slow but that's nothing new. I wish I would have gotten tickets to this one but alas tuition came due.

Go Seahawks!

Another crazy Seahawk-Giants game. We killed them for three quarters and they killed us for one. We got the win but I don't like the end of that game at all. We need to work on the killer instinct I think. Never let up. Then again the Giants seem to have established some fourth quarter mojo. Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived