Sketchup Renderings

blueradon

Go ahead and submit a Sketchup rendering (if you have been using it to make buildings etc...for downtown or anywhere in GR...

I've been working on a little thing for the mystery project, but I've completed most of the work around van andel and what I'm "visualizing" as the future...I'm only a starter on this so don't be cruel lol

226413983_db57b5cba0_o.jpg

Let's have fun with this thread!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats pretty cool, i like the grass roofs.

Ive been using sketchup quite a bit lately. making models of my dream developments, nothing for GR though.

Edit- BTW, is there any way to put trees in a sketchup drawing, other than actually drawing a whole tree?

Yeah I found out today how you do that...if you go to Window -> Components and hit the sampler folder down towards the middle there are a couple of trees...some are actually shrubs and the other ones are the big ones...in the drawing I did I'd have to use the big trees but I'll fill in all the detail later...

This is my first day actually using Sketchup I just followed the tutorials and 6 hours later I got the hang of it a little

I became lazy and impatient and decided to keep the rest of the buildings blank...so here would be one of my ideas for the "grand river development" when I got done I noticed some things as a little bit unrealistic such as having a performance center by a railway :rofl: but it looks nice there

Anyone else care to share?

226742915_17ce7ed404_o.jpg

I need to learn sketchup... :) If for nothing else than to plan changes to my house.

I used it a couple of times and was a little lost. I have 10+ experience (on a daily basis) using Photoshop. Is it easy to pick up?

Joe

i think for changes to your house youd be better off with photoshop, sketchup is quite rudementary, but just play around with it for a minute and youll pick it right up.

I know that many UP members around here mown and grown about surface parking lots ruining the fabric of good urbanism. I'm no examption to the rule ethier when it comes to these endless seas of asphalt. But what suprises me is the relative silence about the worst asphalt offender in DT Grand Rapids, that eye sore that is the city owned lot on the corner of Fulton St. and Market Ave next to Charlie's crab. What really bites is the fact its on the banks of the grand river for all to see. Can you say prime real estate, even more so than the City Services property we're all hearing about. So heres my idea to ride DT of this surface lot and give the city a recognizable landmark.

I call it Riverbend Towers a large scale mix use development that would feature three towers, the tallest of which would measure over 500' to the roof and 750' to the tip of its spire. But the most interesting tower is the shortest one. What it lacks it hieght makes up of a spectacular view of the Grand River along its length thanks to its alignment along the bend of the river.

So here's two views of Riverbend Towers.

View looking east

View looking northwest

For those that like to hug trees, the roof of the petistio,l covered with parks and gathering spaces, would be LEED certified.

I know that many UP members around here mown and grown about surface parking lots ruining the fabric of good urbanism. I'm no examption to the rule ethier when it comes to these endless seas of asphalt. But what suprises me is the relative silence about the worst asphalt offender in DT Grand Rapids, that eye sore that is the city owned lot on the corner of Fulton St. and Market Ave next to Charlie's crab. What really bites is the fact its on the banks of the grand river for all to see. Can you say prime real estate, even more so than the City Services property we're all hearing about. So heres my idea to ride DT of this surface lot and give the city a recognizable landmark.

I call it Riverbend Towers a large scale mix use development that would feature three towers, the tallest of which would measure over 500' to the roof and 750' to the tip of its spire. But the most interesting tower is the shortest one. What it lacks it hieght makes up of a spectacular view of the Grand River along its length thanks to its alignment along the bend of the river.

View looking east

View looking northwest

For those that like to hug trees, the roof of the petistio,l covered with parks and gathering spaces, would be LEED certified.

It hasn't been talked about in a while, but that lot has been talked about quite a bit here over the past year. It's not city owned, it's owned by Amway (Alticor).

Isn't this the same lot that there's been some low rumblings for some time now regarding an alticor development, ie quixtar HQ?

It would be nice if Alticore move their HQ downtown because that would mean a substantial tower on that lot.

But I think they will be staying in ADA for the forseeable future.

I think any rumblings have been generated from the speculation on this forum and nothing else. I think it's also a little funny that people think the Alticor families might want to do something with the city's riverfront property when they already have prime riverfront property they have done nothing with. It's not 16 acres, sure, but the location is much better.

-nb

View looking east

View looking northwest

I like the looks of it!

I'm currently working on a 3D model of DT Grand Rapids which includes existing buildings, those under construction like Riverhouse and the Merriot, and proposals most likly to get built like VAI phase II and the new Childrens Hospital. I've got alot done so I'm hoping to have somthing presentable in a few days.

I'm currently working on a 3D model of DT Grand Rapids which includes existing buildings, those under construction like Riverhouse and the Merriot, and proposals most likly to get built like VAI phase II and the new Childrens Hospital. I've got alot done so I'm hoping to have somthing presentable in a few days.

Do you misspell Marriott because you don't know any better, or purposely to annoy people. It's not the first time I've noticed it.

Do you misspell Marriott because you don't know any better, or purposely to annoy people. It's not the first time I've noticed it.

Merryot

Mriot

Merry Rot

Marryyault

Harry Potter's plot

:P

Coult be worse.

Anyway, its a safe bet you'll never find me winning any spelling bees. That's why choose art as my livelyhood.

Merryot

Mriot

Merry Rot

Marryyault

Harry Potter's plot

:P

Coult be worse.

Anyway, its a safe bet you'll never find me winning any spelling bees. That's why choose art as my livelyhood.

I remember being chastised for using,,,,,,,,,, after ever thought. I think it was superNOVA or Dad who had a b****fest about it. I think I cleaned up nicely. Maybe you should open up MS Word and type your thoughts there and then paste them into "FastReply"?

Here's is my stock 3-D model of downtown Grand Rapids which includes existing buildings, those under construction, and proposals most likely to be built. Thus what you see here may become the real thing five to ten years from now. I've done everything humanly possible to make this model fairly accurate, including working with photographs, refering to just about every GR image posted on UP, (the GR photo of the day thread is a gift from God.) and drawing upon all of my memories of leaving in the area for over twenty years. To do the proposed buildings included in my model, I've based them on the renderings posted here on UP.

View from S-Curve looking north.

post-11190-1157408326_thumb.jpg

Skyline Shot view looking east from stretch of I-196 going down the hill.

post-11190-1157409197_thumb.jpg

Aerial Shot looking south east. US 131 and I-196 innerchange in foreground. I still need to fill in Heart side down to Wealthy St. and do St. Mary's and surrounding area.

post-11190-1157409756_thumb.jpg

View looking south west. Spectrum Health is in the foreground complete with the medical complex now under construction, the proposed Spectrum Cencer Center, and the proposed children's hospital.

post-11190-1157410176_thumb.jpg

As soon I get done filling in Heatside and St. Mary's and surround area as well as doing some more tuning and tweaking, I may decide to share the model on Google Earth.

post-11190-1157408326_thumb.jpg

post-11190-1157409197_thumb.jpg

post-11190-1157409756_thumb.jpg

post-11190-1157410176_thumb.jpg

Archived