Sketchup Renderings

blueradon

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While this example is suburban, I like the design and the transparancy of this Vinoly project, and would like the to see some of the same in the Med School.

I like what I seen on the that website. I do really like how the complex is imbeded in the hillside. This would be an even better solution to dealing with the steep grade of where GR Dad suggested to place the Med School, than the streetwalls I've used in my renderings. Thanks for posting the link. Med School Design Idea version 2 coming up!

While this example is suburban, I like the design and the transparancy of this Vinoly project, and would like the to see some of the same in the Med School.

What's up with all the curved architecture lately? Seems like everything recently (ok, not everything but a lot of stuff) has flowing curves to it.

What's up with all the curved architecture lately? Seems like everything recently (ok, not everything but a lot of stuff) has flowing curves to it.

Without computers this would not be possible.

1228-guggenheim.jpg

In designing the Guggenheim, the architect used a modified version of a very high end 3-D CAD application normally used for designing airplanes as it was the only tool that could layout workable drawings for engineers and builders to used in fabricating the complex curves of the structure.

There's a fairly quick technique for making a flat SketchUp output look more like a watercolor rendering.

In Photoshop you start with a layer that has just the colors and shadows but no edges. You run that layer through the watercolor filter a time or two and add a watercolor paper texture. Then add a mask layer and erase areas of color with a 50% eraser and varied flow rates. Then add a layer to the top that has just the lines (no color and no shadows). Set that layer to "multiply" and adjust its opacity to 80% or so.

That's an oversimplification, but you get the general idea. I read about it in one of the SketchUp Pro forums.

252877765_6564914dc4_b.jpg

252877840_7fdea208a2_b.jpg

http://www.rvapc.com/ht/HTProject.aspx?Bas...&projID=657

theres another vinoly project that might fit the area better.

I think you're right snoogit. Since the MSU Med School here is going to be primarily training med students to become researchers, as opposed to training to become physicians, it will probably look more like your linked building. Not outlandish, collegiate with a high-tech flair to it.

Nice touch civitas!

There's a fairly quick technique for making a flat SketchUp output look more like a watercolor rendering.

In Photoshop you start with a layer that has just the colors and shadows but no edges. You run that layer through the watercolor filter a time or two and add a watercolor paper texture. Then add a mask layer and erase areas of color with a 50% eraser and varied flow rates. Then add a layer to the top that has just the lines (no color and no shadows). Set that layer to "multiply" and adjust its opacity to 80% or so.

That's an oversimplification, but you get the general idea. I read about it in one of the SketchUp Pro forums.

252877765_6564914dc4_b.jpg

252877840_7fdea208a2_b.jpg

Here are a couple of links if anyone is interested.

Tutorial on Technique

SketchUp forum Topic

Here is version 2 of my MSU Med school design idea. This version turn out a thousand times better than my previous itteration of it.

The Divsion Street Facade

post-11190-1159403392_thumb.jpg

With loads of glazing from top to bottom and detailing that plays with light and shadows, this design is all about being light and airy.

Details of the elevated courtyard and prominade above

post-11190-1159403841_thumb.jpg

The central feature of the courtyard is the trellis which helps blend the the curves of the Med School into the boxy buildings next door. The exposed metal trusses over head not only helps with shade but continues the play on light and shadow and also gives a sense of transparency. Also notice the railings made of glass that gives a sleek polished touch.

East side entry.

post-11190-1159404240_thumb.jpg

The angled face of an existing 2 story building next to the entry, the curved facade of the entry itself and the curved skywalk connecting to VAI phase II combine to establish a courtyard feel to the street.

Lessens learned from previous version of my Med School Idea.

1. Stay as far away from Internation Style as possible.

2. Street level glazing is always better that street walls. Street walls are not ped friendly. Plus UP members love to pick on them. ;)

3. Most of all, don't design buildings when suffering from bad head cold :sick: as I did when doing the previous version. Designs turn out so much better with a clear mind and good health as was the case in this version.

post-11190-1159403392_thumb.jpg

post-11190-1159404240_thumb.jpg

Here is version 2 of my MSU Med school design idea. This version turn out a thousand times better than my previous itteration of it.

The Divsion Street Facade

Details of the elevated courtyard and prominade above

Wow! I luv it. The level of detail that you've added is fantastic. Your design looks better than 90% of the crap that's being touted on the entire UP board. As much as I don't like skywalks, I think it works in this situation to provide seamless coexistence of researchers on both sides, as if they are just working in the same building.

Just have Nitro work with you on a green sedum roof near your upper level courtyard and it'll be purfect. You should move it to the MSU Med School thread for kicks.

• 1 month later...

A tribute to a fallen grocery store.

This is a sketchup file of the Walker D&W on Remeberance Rd. as it once was before Sparten Foods closed its doors forever after buying out the chain.

post-11190-1163139005_thumb.jpg

It was watching the year long renovation of this building some years ago that resulted in what is shown here that got me addicted to watching construction in action. It's quite ashame that this D&W was closed. Many of the people in the nearby assisted living homes depended on this place. Now they have to go all the way to Family Fare on Lake Michigan Dr. or the Standale Meijer to do their shopping.

A tribute to a fallen grocery store.

This is a sketchup file of the Walker D&W on Remeberance Rd. as it once was before Sparten Foods closed its doors forever after buying out the chain.

It was watching the year long renovation of this building some years ago that resulted in what is shown here that got me addicted to watching construction in action. It's quite ashame that this D&W was closed. Many of the people in the nearby assisted living homes depended on this place. Now they have to go all the way to Family Fare on Lake Michigan Dr. or the Standale Meijer to do their shopping.

A Sketchup File I did of the Family Fare on Lake Michigan Dr.

familyfarelakemichigandfz7.th.jpg

This is the first time I've used Photobucket to store my forum images so hopfully the link works. PM me if the link is dead.

Anyway, this Family Fare was a Friendly Owl Super Market when I moved to the walker area almost 20 years ago. It along with the former Shop Rite in Standale were in a state of condition that one bought milk and meat along with any parishables at there own risk. Thus the D & W on Remeberance was the only viable shopping option despite having very high prices. Thank goodness the family and I discovered the Alpine Meijer. However not too long after we got settled into the Walker area, the Friendly Owl got a top to bottom renovation as it became a Great Day Food Center. Nice and clean Great Day became the preferred place for hard goods and can goods with the Alpine Mejier serving well for produce, meats, and other parishables. However, about three years ago, Great Day became a Family Fare and in the process got a cosmetic revision resulting in what is seen here. Family Fare is an okey store but Meijer has vastly improved its product selections and on top of that a 207,000 sq ft Meijer store opened about 2 years ago just less than a half mile from my home. Since then Meijer has been meeting about almost all of our shopping needs. However we still use this Family Fare from time to time for some specialty items.

• 1 year later...

A while back I learned that LEGO had a program that allowed you to build things, with legos.. on your computer. With Legos having been a big part of my childhood, I decided to go down memory lane and see what I could do with it. There's a lot of bricks I remember having as a kid that just aren't available in the program which was rather limiting, but at the same time I was given freedom by not having to worry about running out of bricks. (At least, until I crashed the program on my latest project from possibly pushing the program beyond its limits.) So I figured I'd throw a few of my creations here into the sketchup thread, as it's all generally the same concept.

Herman Building (Bank)

When I built this, there seemed to be a bug that prevented me from adding glass to windows. The building features an interior hallway on the ground level running down the side with walled offices beyond to maintain privacy of bank functions whilst maintaining street transparency. The lobby in front is a 2-level lobby. I modeled the teller windows but didn't include a vault.

Front & Side:

LDDScreenShot11.png

Rear:

LDDScreenShot13.png

Kelsey Building

My frist project, this was a small 5-storey building featuring two ground-level retail spaces, an interior stairwell, and 7 condos. Each floor supports two condos except for the top, which is a full-floor unit. The facade would be brick faced with whatever material that is which makes up the white portions of the Keeler Building.

Front:

Kelsey01.jpg

Rear:

Kelsey04.jpg

Kinney Building

This is a rather recent project I started recently to give me something to do at night after spending all day out in the cold weather looking for jobs. It is massive. I originally planned twelve floors, but stopped at eleven due to increasing lag. Apparently LDD wasn't intended for 12-storey skyscrapers. Huh. The skeleton is complete, but I am still in the process of filling in the facade. I got the facade up to the 8th floor today when then thing completely crashed. It is definite that I am trying to push the program beyond its limits here.

It features two retail bays on the ground level, sidewalk, main floor lobby, and the rest of the floors were kept as vacant lots because I knew I'd be pushing the program to its limits and thought for the sake of my sanity in dealing with lag, it would be best I didn't work on the interior of each floor. There is a stairwell as well as an elevator shaft with an elevator car, but the strings/ropes I had when I was a kid are not in game so the elevator is just eye-candy from within.

Another cool thing about LDD is that one can uploda these buildings to Lego, and others can buy them. The website will calculate building instructions and assemble the pieces needed to build the object, package them, and send them to buyers. Well considering this building at eleven stories (twelve if you count the mechanical room at top), it is about as tall as the back of a desk chair (I assume) and so far is valued at $1000. This was when the facade reached only about 4 stories high. I don't think anybody will buy this one!

Skeleton:

LDDScreenShot25.png

View from street (actually sewer...):

LDDScreenShot27.png

Facade rising:

LDDScreenShot26.png

I'd provide screenshots with the facade reaching the 8th floor, but it's so massive it takes the program about 7 minutes to load the building, and these are my most recent screenshots. And yes, that flag at the top is a topping-out flag. It was pretty crazy building it that tall and did take quite a while, so I congratulated myself with a flag. =p

With all that said, I think it's really about time I learn how to use sketchup and other 3d-modelling programs.

Archived