Sketchup Renderings

blueradon

... Campau Mall Vision ...a more modern look, flipping the materials and colours of the Founders Trust building. The cornice is made of black stone, yet ties in with the Comerica Bank tower by implementing red marble circles (not modeled) on rectangular white outcroppings from the cornice. To implement the classical element of a cornice representing a natural tree canopy and give the building a more natural look, I added hanging flower baskets along the cornice, considering masonic floral reliefs would be rather out of place on a more modern structure. ... more classic style. Primary materials are brick and various masonic materials. (Somebody needs to teach me the names of all these materials I see used.) Floral ornamentation (not modeled) decorates the vertical rectangular beams between windows, arches above and below windows, and horizontal cornices between each floor. Like the Ledyard and Flannagan's building, the ornamentation is unique to each floor. ...I added a light court to help provide natural air and circulation to the south building and sunlight ... The light court is tiered at each floor to provide every window with natural plants and grasses immediately outside to naturalise the view of otherwise more brick and windows. The walls in the light court are lined with aluminum to help reflect light deep into the lower areas of the light court...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been working on a design for a home a lot lately, and it's coming along very nicely (although I made the rooms too big.) Anyhow, I went back to the Campau Mall Vision I posted above and touched up what I had completed of it. When I started it, I was still trying to learn the basic functions and ended up creating some wonky angles that make working with the project very difficult. There are places I want to place windows but cannot because Sketchup will not create the holes for them. So, I touched it up enough to portray the general ideas I had for it and am presenting it here. It's come a long way since the photos above.

This is a view looking north towards the project from Monroe. On the actual liner for the Comerica building I went with a more modern look, flipping the materials and colours of the Founders Trust building. The cornice is made of black stone, yet ties in with the Comerica Bank tower by implementing red marble circles (not modeled) on rectangular white outcroppings from the cornice. To implement the classical element of a cornice representing a natural tree canopy and give the building a more natural look, I added hanging flower baskets along the cornice, considering masonic floral reliefs would be rather out of place on a more modern structure.

CampauSquareVision002.jpg

Here is a view from above 50 Monroe. The building replacing the Campau Square parking lot is executed in a more classic style. Primary materials are brick and various masonic materials. (Somebody needs to teach me the names of all these materials I see used.) Floral ornamentation (not modeled) decorates the vertical rectangular beams between windows, arches above and below windows, and horizontal cornices between each floor. Like the Ledyard and Flannagan's building, the ornamentation is unique to each floor.

CampauSquareVision003.jpg

I added a light court to help provide natural air and circulation to the south building and sunlight to both the south building and the Comerica Bank tower. The light court is tiered at each floor to provide every window with natural plants and grasses immediately outside to naturalise the view of otherwise more brick and windows. The walls in the light court are lined with aluminum to help reflect light deep into the lower areas of the light court.

CampauSquareVision004.jpg

A view of one of the retail bays of the more modern liner building shows the hanging basket cornice, pedestrian friendliness, and street frontage.

CampauSquareVision005.jpg

Once again, the early site plan model.

CampauSquareVisionBirdEye.jpg

All of my architectural knowledge has been self-taught. My architecture class has been teaching me to sketch shapes with pencil that take about 30 minutes to do which I have taught myself to do in in Sketchup taking only 2 minutes. I have to chew gum in my architecture class just to stay awake, and have really learned almost nothing. Yesterday I heard my professor make her SECOND real-world architecture reference all symester. "The Minneapolis airport uses irregular planes" and in the first class "The drawings of Frank Lloyd Wright had clear and precise lines on words." Oh yippee, who would have thought. ~rolleyes~

(Probably the only person who ISN'T a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright.)

I'm an Architecture Major (BS of Arch from U of M) and I have developed a strong dislike of Frank Lloyd Wright - the man. I am a fan of a number of his buildings however.

I always get asked "Is Frank Lloyd Wright your favorite Architect?" whenever people find out that's what I studied and its always funny to see their face change when I tell them not even close and begin to list the reasons why...

I took the opportunity to tour the Meyer May home during the Heritage Hill tour last month, and have to admit it was better than I expected. I don't think it was a bad home at all, but some of the features in the home which were new at the time I did not like, and I don't see why anyone would want to live in a home like that when they could have hired an architect to do something more like the Voigt.

I took the opportunity to tour the Meyer May home during the Heritage Hill tour last month, and have to admit it was better than I expected. I don't think it was a bad home at all, but some of the features in the home which were new at the time I did not like, and I don't see why anyone would want to live in a home like that when they could have hired an architect to do something more like the Voigt.

I'm an Architecture Major (BS of Arch from U of M) and I have developed a strong dislike of Frank Lloyd Wright - the man. I am a fan of a number of his buildings however.

I always get asked "Is Frank Lloyd Wright your favorite Architect?" whenever people find out that's what I studied and its always funny to see their face change when I tell them not even close and begin to list the reasons why...

Archived