Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

salatheel

Kershaw county- How Urban Will it Become?

17 posts in this topic

There is so much growth on route 1. How urban do you expect Kershaw county to become?

Kershaw between Camden and Richland County is already starting to urbanize. I suspect Kershaw has very unrestrictive building regulations, so the growth along number 1 will undoubtedly look exactly like Two Notch in Richland does today at some point.

There is so much growth on route 1. How urban do you expect Kershaw county to become?

I think the SW part of the county will continue to grow, but it has hardly reached boom status yet. Camden to Elgin is continuing to grow, along with the area around Lake Wateree, but even the percentage figures are hardly staggering.

Are we talking about mere growth here or true urbanization?

Kershaw Co is growing especially in Camden as it's growing to be a suburb of Columbia. That area as a whole is growing by leaps. Another area that's starting to take off is the Lower Richland area.

Kershaw Co is growing especially in Camden as it's growing to be a suburb of Columbia. That area as a whole is growing by leaps. Another area that's starting to take off is the Lower Richland area.

With Lower Richland startiing to grow more quickly, I wonder if Sumter County will be added to the MSA in 2010?

Would they want that? Sumter is an area with high crime and a lot of poverty from what I understand.

MSAs are based on commuting patterns. So basically having Sumter County added to the MSA would only be a numbers-booster for the Columbia MSA.

With Lower Richland startiing to grow more quickly, I wonder if Sumter County will be added to the MSA in 2010?

I doubt it. Sumter is its own MSA. If it becomes part of Columbia's, it might be called the Columbia-Sumter MSA. I've never wanted Columbia to share MSA status with any other city or town.

Would they want that? Sumter is an area with high crime and a lot of poverty from what I understand.

Not hardly. Sumter is just your normal small town. I don't think sumter will be added into the MSA untill the next 10yrs or so. The commuting patterns are just not their yet. Even though I know more than enough people that commutes from Sumter to Columbia. Most of them usually move here instead of commuting

Kershaw (Camden) is growing so much that they are considering putting it as the firslt leg of a commuter rail system to Columbia.

SE Columbia is starting to grow toward Sumter county too. Lower Richland is becoming the next hot spot

But the vast majority of it will be sprawl. So Kershaw probably won't urbanize much, if at all. It will continue to add people however.

I liked the area. Lot of nice homes. Not far from Columbia. Camden is so full of history. You can almost feel the spirits walking around. Hopefully it will build up well.

Some trivia about Camden:

itis the oldest inland city in SC, and it was once considered to be the most viable site for SC's new capital city.

But the vast majority of it will be sprawl. So Kershaw probably won't urbanize much, if at all. It will continue to add people however.

Unless the State DOT allows mass transit connections from Dowtown to the Exurbs, I don't see any of them becoming urbanized.