Opinions of Hartford

Bill Mocarsky

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the link

Do they have a clue?

Well, I can't see our city impressing anyone today as they stroll through downtown's pastures of parking lots and cold empty facades. Had we kept some of our great buildings and renovated them, we would surely be a great tourist town and famous all over the world. But they were demolished and we have a "downtown" devoid of even a bookshop or grocery store.

I've never been to Toledo, but it must be pretty bad if it's compared with Hartford. Honestly it's just a depressing place in Hartford today. I see out-of-towners, even Europeans in Hartford, and they are amazed at how there is so little in the city centre.

Those are only a few responses, however they do have a clue it seems. I am very positive in how I view the city, but as a lifelong resident, I don't even mind the bad parts all that much. They have character and history and I've had more good experiences than bad, even in the worst of neighborhoods. So it's a very different point of view than from an outsider or suburbanite. I respect our city history and see vast potential here. We are still a great metro region with diverse neighborhoods, something I don't think to be true of Toledo, however I'm totally ignorant of Toledo. While the loss of buildings is tragic, what is still here is historically remarkable and most sunbelt cities never had a fraction of what we have remaining. I think if people become more positive and open minded it would go a long way here. I think our biggest obstacle is closed minded and pessimistic people who seem to make up a huge percantage of our population here. It's one thing for outsiders, who are competitors by nature to have negative stigmas but when the population that we are counting on to be our supporters are even more down on us I really don't know what to think sometimes.....

The city deserves the critisism, and Hartford is still in the dark ages..

Look at what it's "supporters" tout as beneficial:

The convention center = huge white elephant

Hartford21 = tower and ugly shiny facade from the 50's replacing what was already one of Hartford's most liveliest blocks.. yet the parking lots remain empty, why should we be happy?

New tower on Bushnell Park = replacing an already lively YMCA building, again leaving the parking lots

Parking garages = yeah we should be real proud we beat a huge parking garage on Morgan Street...

Hartford Times Building = it was almost completely demolished, for what? A new parking lot? Amazing...

Busway = don't get me started, a half hearted mass transit idea that instead gives more money to the Asphalt Mafia

Road Condition = we repave and redo the highways in downtown Hartford everyday, yet the city streets looks terrible, where are the priorities? Why was Whitehead Conlan redone?????

Building at Main and Trumbull = every city 'booster' wants the historic building knocked down, for what?? A new parking lot.

Tearing down housing projects = to replace with single unit sprawl housing, amazing...

Riverfront = so much money spent to redo the riverfront and build pathways, that is 99% of the time absent of any human life and is completely useless since it's blocked from the city and scary when you can't see anyone!

Please tell me why I should be positive? Being positive about the current state of Hartford is equivalant to being ignorant. We are still in the dark ages.

Some valid points, but it's mixed with so much venom that it's completely worthless. If Hartford sucks so bad, please move to somewhere else, like New Britain, since that's the model you're working on....

New Britain.... please

My model is a mix of the cities I've seen in Europe. American cities are noted as having the worst planning in the world. Skyscrapers are great for Manhattan, but are absolutely worthless to a city like Hartford.

Hartford21 = tower and ugly shiny facade from the 50's replacing what was already one of Hartford's most liveliest blocks.. yet the parking lots remain empty, why should we be happy?

New tower on Bushnell Park = replacing an already lively YMCA building, again leaving the parking lots

Hartford Times Building = it was almost completely demolished, for what? A new parking lot? Amazing.

Riverfront = so much money spent to redo the riverfront and build pathways, that is 99% of the time absent of any human life and is completely useless since it's blocked from the city and scary when you can't see anyone!

You are completely out to lunch. The corner of Trumbull & Asylum was one of Hartford's most liveliest blocks? Wow...

Lively YMCA building? Have you seen how that monstrosity interacts with the street!? It doesn't, it's horrible.

Really I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously anymore. Hartford deserves criticism but you don't even know what you're talking about.

You are completely out to lunch. The corner of Trumbull & Asylum was one of Hartford's most liveliest blocks? Wow...

Lively YMCA building? Have you seen how that monstrosity interacts with the street!? It doesn't, it's horrible.

Really I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously anymore. Hartford deserves criticism but you don't even know what you're talking about.

Dismissing valid critisism... it's like you don't even want to hear the truth.

The Civic Center Mall was there. It was a functioning building. There were other many other places in downtown where a new building could have gone and we could have kept what we had.

The YMCA building is an ugly forbidding building in my opinion. But's it's better to have that than the giant parking lot across the street or the HUGE parking lot where the Hilton was, both better places to put buildings but both are still empty.

We are replacing some of the few structures we have, yet leaving the gaps. How can you deny this?

The Civic Center Mall was there. It was a functioning building. There were other many other places in downtown where a new building could have gone and we could have kept what we had.

I think I saw 5 people in that mall, even when there was an event inside. Werent half the stores empty?

The YMCA building is an ugly forbidding building in my opinion. But's it's better to have that than the giant parking lot across the street or the HUGE parking lot where the Hilton was, both better places to put buildings but both are still empty.

We are replacing some of the few structures we have, yet leaving the gaps. How can you deny this?

Are you kidding me?

You just proved to me that you don't know much about Hartford, and your opinions have just taken a big step back in my opinion if you think the Civic Center Mall was a functioning building. The Civic Center Mall was a lifeless building that even at its best days took pedestrian traffic off the street and put it into a bunker style windowless building. You are right having store fronts opening onto trumbull st. is definitely worse than the suburban style mall that it was (sarcasm).

AND...I haven't even gotten into the fact that the mall was almost completely empty. It served to function more as something people walked through before and after Civic Center events and thats it. Even before it was announced that the mall would be torn down stores were going out of business in the building like crazy.

How can you say that a building filled with roughly 600 residents is going to be worse than what was there? The people in those buildings are going to become part of the fabric of downtown, because you don't move to downtown Hartford unless you are somewhat high on the city and want to be a part of urban life.

This was just one example of the several misguided opinions you had in your post.....if you are going to be that fierce with your opinions you may want to make sure you know what the heck you are talking about.

The Civic Center Mall was there. It was a functioning building.

No it wasn't. Nearly all the stores had closed (well before Northland announced plans to refurbish it) and the place was dead. Add to that the hideous exterior of the civic center that adding absolutely nothing to the streetscape. What world are you lving in?

Are you kidding me?

You just proved to me that you don't know much about Hartford, and your opinions have just taken a big step back in my opinion if you think the Civic Center Mall was a functioning building. The Civic Center Mall was a lifeless building that even at its best days took pedestrian traffic off the street and put it into a bunker style windowless building. You are right having store fronts opening onto trumbull st. is definitely worse than the suburban style mall that it was (sarcasm).

AND...I haven't even gotten into the fact that the mall was almost completely empty. It served to function more as something people walked through before and after Civic Center events and thats it. Even before it was announced that the mall would be torn down stores were going out of business in the building like crazy.

How can you say that a building filled with roughly 600 residents is going to be worse than what was there? The people in those buildings are going to become part of the fabric of downtown, because you don't move to downtown Hartford unless you are somewhat high on the city and want to be a part of urban life.

This was just one example of the several misguided opinions you had in your post.....if you are going to be that fierce with your opinions you may want to make sure you know what the heck you are talking about.

Exactly rob. This guy is completely lost. I cannot believe that line about the civic center...I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

The city deserves the critisism, and Hartford is still in the dark ages..

Look at what it's "supporters" tout as beneficial:

Parking garages = yeah we should be real proud we beat a huge parking garage on Morgan Street...

Hartford Times Building = it was almost completely demolished, for what? A new parking lot? Amazing...

Busway = don't get me started, a half hearted mass transit idea that instead gives more money to the Asphalt Mafia

Road Condition = we repave and redo the highways in downtown Hartford everyday, yet the city streets looks terrible, where are the priorities? Why was Whitehead Conlan redone?????

Building at Main and Trumbull = every city 'booster' wants the historic building knocked down, for what?? A new parking lot.

Tearing down housing projects = to replace with single unit sprawl housing, amazing...

Please tell me why I should be positive? Being positive about the current state of Hartford is equivalant to being ignorant. We are still in the dark ages.

I think these opinions as well as what Mike says here is a good reality check. As painful as they are, they are right in line of what many think of Hartford.

The convention center that is drawing 50% more of what was projected even without Front Street. The shiny facade replacing a concrete bunker is an improvement in my opinion. In fact the look is growing on me. The lively YMCA was not lively and gave million dollar views to the homeless, tear it down. Hartford Times building is going to be the future of the Wasdsworth. Bus way, maybe not the best idea but it will be mostly federally funded. The housing projects are being replaced by not only a mix of single family homes, but multi family town homes and Hartford's Classic Perfect Sixes. Have you been to the riverfront lately, almost every weekend there is an event going on, try finding a place to sit during lunch. It's attitudes like yours that need to change; Hartford is in a renaissance look around.

I think these opinions as well as what Mike says here is a good reality check. As painful as they are, they are right in line of what many think of Hartford.

I do think H21 is a big improvement from what was there before. The YMCA tower should also replace a vacant lot at Pearl and Jewel.

True in a sense, but some of those opinions also dismiss some of the valid progress that has been made in the past 5 years as more reasons why the city of Hartford is terrible. This is what I have an issue with.

I am right with you if you say that Hartford still has a LONG way to go, but right now some good steps (and maybe a few missteps) are being taken to make it a better place.

True in a sense, but some of those opinions also dismiss some of the valid progress that has been made in the past 5 years as more reasons why the city of Hartford is terrible. This is what I have an issue with.

I am right with you if you say that Hartford still has a LONG way to go, but right now some good steps (and maybe a few missteps) are being taken to make it a better place.

I think the city is heading in a better direction than it has in the last half century or more. In the very least, there seems to be a growing sense of awareness to some important issues. This discussion board is evidence.

Are you kidding me?

I worked across the street from the mall. I went to Arthur's often. I shopped at TJ Maxx on breaks. I even ate at Wendy's. The interior of the Civic Center was beautiful, with stone paved solid walkways, marble, etc and very interesting layout. I miss it tremendously, especially seeing that ugly facade it was replaced with. Now it looks like the inside of Wal-Mart, all white, with NOTHING in there. Awful

If Gottesdiener wanted to build a new building, he should have used an empty lot. The Civic Center, as bad as people pretend it was, was a lively building for a long time and could've been better renovated and lasted for years. Years from now people will surely miss the building. Of course short-sighted people can't realized that.

It also was not "suburban-style". There are downtown malls in most of the greatest cities in the world.

We're still in the dark ages.

I worked across the street from the mall. I went to Arthur's often. I shopped at TJ Maxx on breaks. I even ate at Wendy's. The interior of the Civic Center was beautiful, with stone paved solid walkways, marble, etc and very interesting layout. I miss it tremendously, especially seeing that ugly facade it was replaced with. Now it looks like the inside of Wal-Mart, all white, with NOTHING in there. Awful

If Gottesdiener wanted to build a new building, he should have used an empty lot. The Civic Center, as bad as people pretend it was, was a lively building for a long time and could've been better renovated and lasted for years. Years from now people will surely miss the building. Of course short-sighted people can't realized that.

It also was not "suburban-style". There are downtown malls in most of the greatest cities in the world.

We're still in the dark ages.

I will have to agree to disagree with you on this.

Archived