Which city has the best skyline for it's metro area size? (Other than Birmingham)

AlabamaGuy2007

By metro size (listed in decending order by metro pop.)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Overall

• Mobile
    • Huntsville
    • Montgomery
    • Tuscaloosa
    • Decatur
    • Dothan
    • Florence
    • Dothan
    • Auburn
    • Anniston
    • Gadsden
  2. 2. 300,000 - 600,000

• Mobile
    • Huntsville
    • Montgomery
  3. 3. 140,000 - 299,999

• Tuscaloosa
    • Decatur
    • Florence
  4. 4. 0 - 139,999

• Dothan
    • Auburn
    • Anniston
    • Gadsden

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mobile, for the RSA Tower, is an easy choice to me.

If you include Baldwin County as part of metro Mobile, then you also get the Gulf Shores and Orange Beach

skylines, which compare favorably to any in the state other than Birmingham.

Montgomery and Huntsville are both credible.

Smaller than those, there's not much in the way of cohesive skylines, unfortunately.

Tuscaloosa's skyline is weak for the city's size and economic vitality.

What few multistory buildings we do have are old and spread out.

The only really "good" photos of downtown that I've found online are photos #64-67 on the last page (page 4) of this gallery : http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/album.jsp...498cf4586be7a34

Mobile, for the RSA Tower, is an easy choice to me.

If you include Baldwin County as part of metro Mobile, then you also get the Gulf Shores and Orange Beach

skylines, which compare favorably to any in the state other than Birmingham.

Montgomery and Huntsville are both credible.

Smaller than those, there's not much in the way of cohesive skylines, unfortunately.

Tuscaloosa's skyline is weak for the city's size and economic vitality.

What few multistory buildings we do have are old and spread out.

The only really "good" photos of downtown that I've found online are photos #64-67 on the last page (page 4) of this gallery : http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/album.jsp...498cf4586be7a34

Downtown Decatur has a few tall buildings, not as tall as the ones in Tuscaloosa, but tall nonetheless. Amsouth Tower, City Hall, (Formerly) Union Planters. The Rhodes Ferry Apartments along the river. Decatur has a more dense skyline than a tall one.

There are good views where it looks like there's one, going over the Gordon St. overpass from Moulton, you get a view that makes the downtown area look much larger. Also, going down 2nd Avenue towards the courthouse.

Downtown Decatur has a few tall buildings, not as tall as the ones in Tuscaloosa, but tall nonetheless. Amsouth Tower, City Hall, (Formerly) Union Planters. The Rhodes Ferry Apartments along the river. Decatur has a more dense skyline than a tall one.

There are good views where it looks like there's one, going over the Gordon St. overpass from Moulton, you get a view that makes the downtown area look much larger. Also, going down 2nd Avenue towards the courthouse.

To me, Decatur's skyline is the cool-looking mess of factories and buildings set against the Tennessee River from I-65. Downtown Tuscaloosa and Gadsden have very similar "skylines" (a couple of super-old brick buildings in each.) Anniston's is a little more "modern" looking (as in 70s modern) but in about the same scale as Tuscles and Gads. Huntsville's skyline is nice and shiny but almost nonexistent for now (you can barely see the "skyscrapers" above the trees). Montgomery is sort of dense but doesn't really go up anywhere. Vice versa for Mobile (they get my vote.)

Mobile's skyline looks best as one approaches Downtown on eastbound I-10. From that vantage point, the heights of the prominent buildings of the skyline are distored, making the approach all the more dramatic. The skyline also looks visually from southbound I-165, although from this view the Dowtown could use a few more 300-440' tall buildings to offset the RSA Tower.

To me, Decatur's skyline is the cool-looking mess of factories and buildings set against the Tennessee River from I-65. Downtown Tuscaloosa and Gadsden have very similar "skylines" (a couple of super-old brick buildings in each.) Anniston's is a little more "modern" looking (as in 70s modern) but in about the same scale as Tuscles and Gads. Huntsville's skyline is nice and shiny but almost nonexistent for now (you can barely see the "skyscrapers" above the trees). Montgomery is sort of dense but doesn't really go up anywhere. Vice versa for Mobile (they get my vote.)

Well, you can't see downtown from the Tennessee River Bridge that well, if at all. The trees around Point Mallard, and the refuge block it. So, you can only see it if you're driving down 6th Avenue, Gordon Terry Pkwy, or Wheeler Highway.

I would say Mobile would have the best skyline. not only RSA tower but the other highrises also. It seems like it is larger, higher, and more dense than the others. The only thing I see when I drive through Montgomery is the RSA headquaters (I think). I dont get to see much of it but It deserves to be the second. Do the rest really have a real skyline outside of those two.

not trying to be rude.....i respect all of those cities.

Archived