Unincorporated Area

Group: Members

Member No.: 12674

Warn: (0%)

OK, Folks!

we have a Polish City Thread, now comes the German City Thread,

because Germany has a lot more to offer

than Poland!

Alone Germany has 26 % strenght of all Europe economy wise and has the largest Population in the

European Union with ca. 82.44 Millions of people on a landsize, which equals about the size of Texas,

and has about 10 times more people on

1 sqaremile than the US of A.

Only France is landwise larger, but has only about 60 Millions people.

All the Financial Power of all Europe is in Frankfurt/Main (Frankfurt on the river Main).

in Stuttgart is the Mercedes factory, who know ownes "Chrysler" and "Freightliner" (Trucks/18 wheeler),

and in 1925 at Mercedes was a Engineer with the Name Ferdinand Porsche who invented the Volkswagen,

and the largest factory under one roof worldwide was built 1938 in Wolfsburg/Niedersachsen, where the famous VW Beetle was built ,who outnumberd the FORD "T" Modell with more than 17 Millions built in

1972. Now Volkswagen produces in Massproduction since 1998 a little 3 cylinder Volkswagen, who made

78 MPG Fuleeconomy (vehicle not available in the USA), and built a prototype in 2002 ( 2 seater )

who make about 270 MPG Fueleconomy (Not available on the market,...to expensive to built)

I will say "Auf wiedersehen"!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the '72 Olympics in Munich which happened when I was a kid so that is probably my first memory of a German city. And having grown up during the Cold War, I remember a lot about Bonn's role during this period. I've always been a fan of Mercedes vehicles so I know about Stuggart. However I would say that Berlin simply has to be the most famous for events that took place there during the 20th century.

On another note, I am not sure that what happened to Dresden, as tragic as it was, would have been considered a war crime given the definition of a war crime at the time. Maybe it was in the sense that starting a war is a criminal act in many people's minds. Of course history is always written by the victors and had the Nazis prevailed, there is no doubt the bombing of Dresden would have been classified as such.

I don't doubt the bombing of Dresden by the British had an element of revenge in it for what the Nazis where doing to London with the terror weapons, the V1 and V2 rockets. The V2 was especially terrorizing since the technology at the time could not even detect it to give people time to get to shelters. Situations such as that, lead to irrational decisions and the reduction of Dresden to rubble was the price paid for those very bad decisions by Hitler.

Berlin is most famous in the 20th century because it was the epicenter of the Cold War and where it was believed WWIII would start if the Soviets and the West went to war with each other. The rise and fall of the Berlin wall is a fascinating story of 20th century post war politics and it will be studied for centuries to come.

I don't doubt the bombing of Dresden by the British had an element of revenge in it for what the Nazis where doing to London with the terror weapons, the V1 and V2 rockets.

May be, but if so, they even had that revenge before the V1 and V2 which only came to "einsatz" after Sommer 1944.

In 1943 oder early 1944 they bombed residential Areas in Hamburg to rubble.

The V2 was especially terrorizing since the technology at the time could not even detect it to give people time to get to shelters.

The "Buzz Bomb" V1 was not so bad, but the V2 was faster than the sound and so fast, that People even heard them comming.

They heard the explosion, and 1 or 2 seconds later the bomb comming (The whistle sound)

Situations such as that, lead to irrational decisions and the reduction of Dresden to rubble

like I said, those decissions in bombing german into rubble was made way before the V1 and V2

the so called "Vergeltungswaffe"

was the price paid for those very bad decisions by Hitler.

No doubts... Hitler made a lot of bad decisions, and one of those bad decisions was to use the V2 mostly against London, unstead against mililtary targets...

Hitler and Churchill made the same error in thinking, bombing of civilians will falter and weaken their will to fight and continue the war....

The opposite was the case.... in England as well as in Germany

Berlin is most famous in the 20th century because it was the epicenter of the Cold War and where it was believed WWIII would start if the Soviets and the West went to war with each other. The rise and fall of the Berlin wall is a fascinating story of 20th century post war politics and it will be studied for centuries to come.

which I have seen in 1989 live!

I was many many times in the former "DDR"

and sold a lot of cars there later on.

The poll was about the most famous city in Germany, not the one with the nicest people.

Well, sometimes a city is famous for their nice people.... like Wien (Vienna).

Besides, that is all a matter of opinion, my family in Germany did not feel this way about Berlin.

I also was in Berlin many many times, and I do speak "Hochdeutsch" which is a pure German language without any accent.

and the Berliners do have their accent, and when you're dont speak their "Berlinerisch", they consider you just a "Provinzler" and they just think, that Berlin is the best in germany, and everthing else is

2.class

Of course, they are very nice to tourists who dont speak german.

next time, I go to Berlin, I will only speak english, because I do like nice people.

But I can see where this is possible. Some people in the US who are from a small town/country would think the same things about NYC.

NYC ...same ball game, just different languages:

I had ask People in Berlin for directions, and they even roll down their windows, and the same was happend in New York City

but, when I was the first time in NYC and just spoke a couple words of english, they were actually pretty nice!

I really dont want to get into the debate about Dresden, but alot of peope are misinformed on this subject. My relatives in Germany think that the only Americans bombed this city and that they targeted the Frauenkirch specifically. This of course is not true, because both British and American bombers attacked this city. It is a very touchy subject for sure and doesn't really belong in this thread.

well, why should not history belongs in that tread?

The bombing is fact and its part of history.

give me a link showing, that there was also american bombers involved in that bombing, please!

Gruss

give me a link showing, that there was also american bombers involved in that bombing, please!

Gruss

This link is straight from the United States Airforce history website. It details the USAF involvement with the fire bombing of Dresden in 1945. If you note, all aerial bombardment by the allies had to be approved by US General Eisenhower. Offically it is contended that 25,000 died in the bombings but subsequent communist propaganda raised this number to 250,000.

what is about Hamburg?

There you find one of the most friendliest people in Germany!

i laughed when i read this. not b/c i don't believe you... but, b/c the only thing i know about hamburg is from documentary film footage of the BEATLES playing there in the early 60's. there were tons of fights in the streets and beer bottles flying and chairs being thrown onstage.... funny. anyway my family lineage is from northern germany so, i would like to go there one day.

i voted for frankfurt... that cities looking into the future.

@ monsoon:

Our teacher in Germany told us, that the Bombing raid was carried out by english bombers,

and the death toll was about 250.000 people.

Anyhow, the responsible parties (Generals) cannot be proud of that bombing, doesn't matter,

who done it.

Even if there is "only" 25.000 people, that number alone is very very high.

americas worst massmurder has about 50 people on his concience.

how many have those responsible generals?

Here a german website mention 135.000 death people :

http://www.wintersonnenwende.com/scriptori.../dresden-d.html

Teil 1

Vorspiel zum Holocaust

Nach nahezu drei Jahren

unabl

• 1 month later...

I say Muenchen (Munich). Though, this may be sort of biased...when we visit family in Austria, we always fly into Muenchen, and because I've flown in there, I discuss it with people every now and then...and they always know of the city.

Aber ich wuerde wetten das trotzdem Berlin der meist weltberuehmster Stadt in Deutschland ist...

• 1 month later...

I voted for Munich because when people think of Germany two thoughts come to mind: The Berlin wall and men dressed in lederhosen with green hats and women dressed in Dirndlkleider with two armfulls of large beer steins.

But I would say while Berlin might be best known for its divided past, Munich is best known for something positive: Oktoberfest.

I noticed, however, that Austrians tended to be more lighthearted and friendly than Germans. The people that lived in my student home (Studentenheim) from Germany were always very serious and didn't appreciate sarcasm one bit. It didn't take long for me to learn that Austrians refer to these Germans (pretty much all non-Bavarians) as Piefkes (a slang term referring to Prussians, who have the stereotype of being very serious and punctual).

Austrians, while conservative, also seem to have a more "live and let live" outlook on life. I think only in Austria could you find a 70 year old woman wearing a Dirndl dress, knocking back shots, drinking beer, and enjoying a Backhendl (baked chicken legs).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Good to see that so many people have information about Germany. :) I got a job offer for Berlin, beginning March 09 and I would like to gather as many information as possible. My biggest problem is the search for a flat. I tried my best on the web but all I could find about Berlin property is this and that wasn't very satisfying. Does anyone know if the real estate market in Germany has the same problem as the US market? Thank you very much in advance for your responses.

Archived