Hartford Civic Center Discussions

jcrc

And there needs to be more restaurants and cafes surrounding the main fountain. Spris has done an unbelievable job over the last 5 years alone. Imagine if there were 2 more restaurants, a bar or two and a coffee shop all with outdoor seating.

Hartford has shown it can attract hip new locally owned & operated restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. so we should definitly work on attracting a few to Constitution Plaza. Having two more restaurants similar to Spris which could cater to the business diner and/or middle age clientel, a few bars/clubs for the younger generation (people will visit these places even they aren't on Allyn Street & Union Place...look at Club 960) and a full time coffee shop like (an independant one).

• 1 month later...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after reading the first few pages, it looks like they are suggusting that the HCC is not equiped to expand to major league sport standards. If the State decides to keep this arena, I honestly don't see an NHL team coming here.

When I read it, it seems more like they are suggesting that renovation is a waste of time at this point. People are OK with it, it's clean and funtional, but it's not going to improve Hartford or the regional market. A new Arena could very likely go a long way in achieving this. I think we'll be getting the Arena. It shows that even with the existing tenants, attendance would rise, and we could attract other tenants with the NHL being the icing on the cake.

Study

This pdf file is 165 pages long. if you have time you should take a look at it. It looks at the effectiveness of the HCC and the possibly of building a arena. IT also shows the results of the long survey some of us took.

I read it and I believe that it was basically saying that significant renovations to modernize the Civic Center are unfeasible and that a new arena will be needed.

I read it and I believe that it was basically saying that significant renovations to modernize the Civic Center are unfeasible and that a new arena will be needed.

I haven't read the report, but there is not much that can be done with the current HCC, I mean it's last expansion already took it onto the sidewalk with those huge concrete pillars making it almost impossible to walk down Ann and Church Streets on those sides...

If a new one is built, it must go within walking distance of downtown! I'd hate, though, to see more parking lots on the west side of downtown should the current HCC be torn down...

I haven't read the report, but there is not much that can be done with the current HCC, I mean it's last expansion already took it onto the sidewalk with those huge concrete pillars making it almost impossible to walk down Ann and Church Streets on those sides...

If a new one is built, it must go within walking distance of downtown! I'd hate, though, to see more parking lots on the west side of downtown should the current HCC be torn down...

There won't be, Northland has the right of first refusal, and already has a plan for the site. That's part of the reason Larry G wants a hockey team, he can gain control of that prime property to do with as he wishes....

Well after reading the first few pages, it looks like they are suggusting that the HCC is not equiped to expand to major league sport standards. If the State decides to keep this arena, I honestly don't see an NHL team coming here.

That has been the conclusion from day one. To get an NHL team, we need a new Arena. The Civic Center could probably bridge the gap, but only if another Arena was being built...

That has been the conclusion from day one. To get an NHL team, we need a new Arena. The Civic Center could probably bridge the gap, but only if another Arena was being built...

No Question!!! We need a new arena. Hopefully the state won't be blind to this.

I've got a bunch of ideas in my head about the future of the civic center site. I think Northland has a great base plan, with residential towers on the corners and some sort of a plaza or skating rink in the center for people to congregate. Maybe I'll draw up some conceptual plans and scan them over the nest couple weeks.

I've got a bunch of ideas in my head about the future of the civic center site. I think Northland has a great base plan, with residential towers on the corners and some sort of a plaza or skating rink in the center for people to congregate. Maybe I'll draw up some conceptual plans and scan them over the nest couple weeks.

I like Northland's concept too.

I would position the entrances to the central plaza (skating rink) opposite Pratt, Haynes and Allyn Streets. There should probably be an entrance on the north as well.

If you were standing in the middle of this plaza, you should be able to SEE

the Sage-Allen building to the east (Pratt Street),

Union Station to the west (Allyn Street),

Bushnell Park to the south (Haynes Street).

I would build up the remaining three corners.

I believe it was more of a toss out when Larry G was talking about a possible new arena. A good PR move for him to create a little buzz around a new arena. I don't believe this idea has gone much further than Larry G's mind....at least publicly.

Part of the Rockefeller can be a small to mid size upscale department store. Something like Louis in Boston or Henri Bendel in NYC, maybe not as pricey but something unique and urban, something that is a destination that will revitalize downtown shopping. Something no malls, Blue Back Square or Cabela's have.

SOCOM,

I am looking forward to seeing your ideas.

Archived