Hartford Civic Center Discussions

jcrc

Rawson, Noah Webster, and HPHS all undergoing signihagant face lifts that are either complete or nearly complete. The other schools will follow, and there are beautification and streetscape improvements planned for every neighborhood in Hartford. So there is action being taken on the fronts we all know need to be addressed.

Good, now on to CRIME!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good, now on to CRIME!

I would say crime is down. Urban crime is a problem in every major US city though. It goes hand and hand with poverty. So, let's address the poverty. To do that we must address education and inequality in society. So now we are in the realm of hard as hell to accomplish and you take what gains you can get. That's just how it is. Unfortunately.

Since the State Troopers have been here, it's been pretty quiet. If we could get more cops permanently it would be a start.

I would say crime is down. Urban crime is a problem in every major US city though. It goes hand and hand with poverty. So, let's address the poverty. To do that we must address education and inequality in society. So now we are in the realm of hard as hell to accomplish and you take what gains you can get. That's just how it is. Unfortunately.

Since the State Troopers have been here, it's been pretty quiet. If we could get more cops permanently it would be a start.

Good Tycoon! Now you are on a better path of thought! Crime, Poverty, education, equality...all major fundamentals, and once improved, and progressed, and grown upon, lead to a rise in class for the city, and more residents, and residents and people and culture lead to great great great things like skyscraper restaurants, etc. Thats just how I see it.

Good Tycoon! Now you are on a better path of thought! Crime, Poverty, education, equality...all major fundamentals, and once improved, and progressed, and grown upon, lead to a rise in class for the city, and more residents, and residents and people and culture lead to great great great things like skyscraper restaurants, etc. Thats just how I see it.

Um, I never left that train of thought. That is how I think always. Just because I'm talking about one set of issues doesn't mean that I've forgotten about the other ones. The way I see it you can't only be reactive and try to fix problems all of the time, sometimes you just have to do things that you think could have a positive effect, even if they are not the actual remedy for a specific social ill. That's called being proactive. So we must be both reactive and proactive if we want Hartford to be great again.

I don't see how one point precludes another. I also don't know where you're getting this arbitrary 50 years BS from. Bridgeport has a Zoo, yet their city is falling apart, should they sell the Zoo and use it for schools? If Larry G decides to add a Space Needle as part of his Civic Center plot thing, are you going to tell him "listen pal, we need that money for schools, so no Needle for you"? You guys are using too strong of words for what this warrants. I have never said this was a top proiority. I have never said we should take funding from anything more vital like roads or schools. I have never said that this was even probable. It is absolutely improbable. However, to call it ridiculous is going too far. to imply that I've said things that I have never said is going too far. To say an idea as an idea is uncreative when it hasn't even been fleshed out is going too far. It makes you guys seem unresonable......

Well like I said, I am not being a pessimist. These things ARE possible, albeit 50ish years away at best. I dont think the golden years are done, I would LOVE to see big things here. I am thinking logically to get there, no dreaming far into the future.

ps- I think anyone reading/posting on this board clearly has faith in the city..why else would one come here or to other Hartford forums...?

I doubt it would take 50 years. Ten to fifteen years is very doable, maybe even earlier.

You aren't Sam Fingold, are you?

What does this all have to do with the Civic Center site? ;)

I just made a rough map of how I would integrate it into the area. I just have no place to upload it at this time. It is based on Northlands Rockefeller Center scheme.

I would create a plaza in the middle that runs from Trumbull to Ann Streets. The plaza, which would tie Pratt and Allyn Streets together could include a skating rink. A 2nd walkway would bisect the block on a north - south axis. It would tie in Haynes street, which I advocate extending to the park.

The block would be divided into 4 quadrants. H21 is situated on the southeast. Continuing clockwise would be H31, H51 and H41. The use and size of each building would vary.

Here is a map that outlines my interpretation. Pratt, Allyn, and Haynes Streets all point to the central plaza. I hope the developers see the importance of tying in these surrounding streets.

civiccenter.gif

I would get rid of the bridge over Church Street that connects the Hilton. Wouldn't the purpose of that structure be obsolete?

This plan also suggests extending Haynes Street to the park.

Nice idea, but with towers at every direction, wouldn't the plaza be a bit of a dark gauntlet?

Also, I like the idea of Haynes street being extended. The whole thing could be pedestrian-only. Reminds me of Florence.

Thanks Mike,

The buildings don't necessarily have to be all towers. They can be of various heights. For tall buildings, the parcels should be large enough to allow for setbacks.

Thanks Mike,

The buildings don't necessarily have to be all towers. They can be of various heights. For tall buildings, the parcels should be large enough to allow for setbacks.

I say make H51 10-12 floors of condos, not rentals. H41 could be in the 15-20 floor range with 20% office space and 80% rentals. H21 is 36 floors of rentals, and H31 could be Hartford's new tallest at 660 ft and 50+ floors :)

H31 would be 30-40% office space and the rest condos. Ofcourse ground retail on all.

I'd rather more condos than rentals, it would promote more people caring a little more since they can't just run out the lease and skedaddle.

I agree, condos would be better. I do think you need some rentals to mix it up a bit, however when people are spending $2,000-$3,000 on rent, you think they would just buy a condo.

Archived