Inner City Retail

egrguy

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/28/news/econo...rcity/index.htm

The article specifically mentions Detroit, but felt it would be good for all of Michigan's cities if retailers took note of this.

I fully agree. Retail has followed people from the cities into the suburbs and exurbs... now that people are moving back into cities, let

I went to the brand spanking new Meijer in Warren this past weekend to do my grocery shopping. When I checked out, the cashier asked me for my zip code. I think that that should be done more in order to determine potential markets. I think area retailers should become accustomed to doing this so that there can be an awareness of just how much their survival is dependent on the residents of the city of Detroit.

I think you missed the point, Mike, and that's that inner-cities can support quality retail. It is not just some talking point or myth that inner-cities are underserved, it's a fact, and I personally am offended that the only people that seem to matter to these big retailers are suburbanites. Is a company like Meijer trying to tell me that they don't even have ONE store in a city of 800,000 persons because it wouldn't work? I'm offended, and I think any sensible person should be. They don't seem to mind taking Detroiter's money when they have to travel to Livonia or Warren, though, but they are too good to set up shop where these people live and in higher densities than half the Meijers in the state? Something has always been fishy about this, and I know the other reasons they give. I'm just using Meijers as an example. The idea that wealthy whites have to move back to Detroit before it gets a big box retailer is ridiculously offensive, to me. What is comes down to is that people from outside these areas won't go into them to shop, pretty much holding everyone else hostage. In my opinion, that is simply shameful.

Rant over. :)

Archived