87 Monroe Center

GRDadof3

For those of you still waiting for the Business Journal to make it to your desk, they have an article saying that it appears the City is getting close to leasing out space they own on Monroe Center to "a retail type operation to the space and would contribute to the vision for downtown".

City hope to park tenant

87 Monroe Center flyer

It's only 2300 square feet, so don't expect a downtown Gap MJLO.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, there definitely is. I would highly doubt they'd open a second so close.

Maybe they were referring to something like Jimmy John's? I couldnt' think of what it might be though, because there is already a Jimmy John's, Subway, and a Quizno's in the area already? Maybe it will be something more specific like a Schnitz Deli? There used to be one along the skywalk, but the last time I walked by it looked like it was called something else.

I just hope it's something that expands on the overall downtown sustainability and would hate to see downtown Grand Rapids become a giant food-court.

Question 1: In your opinion, what is the saturation point for restaurants in downtown Grand Rapids based on the current population. Do you think there is room in the market for more additional restaurants/bars downtown?

Question 2: Does anyone have data on retail sales downtown in the past year, 2 years? It seems like within the past 3-4 years the downtown has really taken off but is there data to support this?

Question 3: Is there a current list of downtown retail business that are NOT food and alcohol related? Just curious what the proportion is.

By "downtown" I mean core downtown.

Does anyone remember what businesses John Logie had as his "vision for downtown"? I think bookstore, grocery store, and movie theater were in that, but I can't remember what else. That might answer the question of what the City has in mind.

Does anyone remember what businesses John Logie had as his "vision for downtown"? I think bookstore, grocery store, and movie theater were in that, but I can't remember what else. That might answer the question of what the City has in mind.

Wasn't a full service pharmay on the wish list? I think there use to be a Rite Aid in this location some 10 to 15 years ago.

Theres one thats coffee only, and two that are coffee/restaurant hybrids IIRC

I think there are more cofee shops on Monroe Center than people realize. Lets see:

Beaners, Four Friends, Local Mocha, West Coast Coffee

Also Starbucks within spitting distance across Monroe in the Amway GP

And a couple for who coffee is not their main business, but sell quite a lot anyway: Cafe Solace and River Bank Books

Am I forgetting any?

What I would love to see is a bagel shop, like Bagel Beanery, or an Einstien Bros. etc.

I think you have to take in the fact the the GRCC Culinary School is in the nation's top 5. I would like to see the independent restaurants continue to grow downtown. We sure could use some real ethnic restaurants in the core.

Really? :w00t: Ever watch Chef Angus over at GRCC? I think he used to have short lived cooking show on GRTV. :P

It's only 2300 square feet, so don't expect a downtown Gap MJLO.

Don't hate Jeff! Wouldn't be anything wrong with a gap downtown.

hehehe, we dont need another coffee or sub shop on monroe center, it's already a glorified food court right now as it is.

I think you have to take in the fact the the GRCC Culinary School is in the nation's top 5. I would like to see the independent restaurants continue to grow downtown. We sure could use some real ethnic restaurants in the core.

WMU did something like this with a restaurant called The Union. From what I have been told, several departments are involved. The music department does all the scheduling for entertainment, the business department handles the business side of things, and the culinary dept prepares the menu.

It would be great for students to have something like this where it

WMU did something like this with a restaurant called The Union. From what I have been told, several departments are involved. The music department does all the scheduling for entertainment, the business department handles the business side of things, and the culinary dept prepares the menu.

It would be great for students to have something like this where it

Top 5?!? can you back this up?

I found it at #54 on this site and found it in the top 50 on another site.

Dont get me wrong, I think it would be sweet, but top 5 seems a bit out there.

Top 5?!? can you back this up?

I found it at #54 on this site and found it in the top 50 on another site.

Dont get me wrong, I think it would be sweet, but top 5 seems a bit out there.

that site you mentioned is also a user-driven site, and rankings are derived from people voting for or against the school anonymously

While thats great in some instances, it shouldnt be held as a gold standard for rating culinary schools.

although I think GRCC in the top 5 is a stretch, top 50 is almost a certainty.

• 3 weeks later...

SO a wal-mart fine arts gallery? :thumbsup:

Huh? It's a pretty small space, so I don't know if they need more than $20,000 to upgrade it. Even though the building is old, the retail space was created when the Monroe Center ramp was built maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I think an art gallery is a great addition to Monroe Center. Now if they can just get moving on the Fox building next door....

Archived