Got a CFL?

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have converted another room! Replaced 4 40W ceiling fan bulbs with 9W replacements (160W when fixture is on to 36W). Also, two other fixtures in the room form 60W to 13W. So if every light in that room is on, I've reduced from 280W to 62W!! I've replaced 16 bulbs now!! :thumbsup:

Here is a surprising and welcomed write up on how Walmart will make CFLs, compact florescent lights, available to their customers. It is nice to see them do this and a great technology to reduce energy and resource usage to light our homes.

Have you folks converted at least some of your lights to CFL technology?

• 3 weeks later...

i have about 20 bulbs in my apartment. when you start to count them all you really realize just how many you have. i thought 33 was a lot, but i guess it's really not all that much. i've converted all the lights i use all the time to CFL (bathroom, bedroom, office, dining room, kitchen, and one of the end tables in the living room has a CFL). i think i'm done converting though. the difference in electricity for me won't really be noticed (at least compared to the cost of the bulbs), so it's not worth buying more because i won't be staying here more than a couple years.

• 2 months later...

One thing I have started doing is preaching the benefits of CFL's to businesses I frequent. I am impressed with the number who have switched, but there are many many more who haven't. I actually have saved a form email that I send to the business or fill out the customer comment card/website section encouraging the site to switch from incadescent to CFL's. I encourage everyone else to do the same! :thumbsup:

Can someone tell me how these things perform outside in the cold? I'd like to put them on my porches, but I'm afraid the warm up time mught be too long. Can anyone give me an idea, say in the form of "40 degrees, two seconds before it comes on, then 80% light for five minutes?"

Can someone tell me how these things perform outside in the cold? I'd like to put them on my porches, but I'm afraid the warm up time mught be too long. Can anyone give me an idea, say in the form of "40 degrees, two seconds before it comes on, then 80% light for five minutes?"

We have them in our fixtures outside such as the porch, deck and the sides of our garage. This past winter was the first time we did this and they performed well IMO. There were days it got in the low teens and I didn't notice any issues with them. The same CFL's are still working so I assume no real damage was caused by the low temperatures. I might add they perform just fine on the other end of the spectrum as well. We've had several days over 100 and they're still doing fine.

Archived