Got a CFL?

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding mercury levels in CFL's, this company claims that their CFL contains 30% less mercury than other CFL's:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

The company is Megalight and they certainly have some interesting CFL and LED products available, particularly interesting if their CFL's contain 30% less mercury (and other substances as well).

• 2 weeks later...

As i have bragged before, i have my whole apartment switched to CFL's. I don't notice any real problems with warm-up on any of the bulbs except for one. The bulb i use in my hallway(a spotlight style CFL) takes quite some time to warm up, and since it is in my back hall with no windows, it bothers me a little. So i have been looking for another option, and considered an LED. I found this website EarthLED and like the products from what i can tell. The drawback...they are mondo expensive! The cheapest being $39, and their featured pride is $149! So, back to the drawing board. I'm sure these LED lights are as great as promoted, but at that price, i can never see them getting off the ground.

note: i should note that i do have a slightly slow warm-up with my bathroom "vanity" CFL bulbs, however, i quite enjoy this side effect. It's not so shocking first thing in the morning, or in the middle of the night, to turn these lights on and have a brief warm-up so that my pupils have a chance to adjust.

note: i should note that i do have a slightly slow warm-up with my bathroom "vanity" CFL bulbs, however, i quite enjoy this side effect. It's not so shocking first thing in the morning, or in the middle of the night, to turn these lights on and have a brief warm-up so that my pupils have a chance to adjust.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Working in the wholesale grocery industry, I see a lot of fixtures and such in new locations. The hottest thing at the moment is LED lighting in freezer cases. It is an expensive option (the store where I took the photo paid $46,000 vs $14,000 for flourescents, but should recoup the expense within 3-5 years.) Retrofit kits are also available and are proving popular..

ledfreezer.jpg

• 3 months later...

I personally can't stand CFLs, though we do use them in our two porch lights. They do not last as long as the claim, not even close in my experience. LEDs are the way to go, but they too are ugly. I use incandescent bulbs for indoor lighting and will continue to do so despite the increased costs until they can come up with a bulb that doesn't offend my retinas.

I'm sure this is an isolated incident, but my parents had one CFL nearly catch fire. The point where the tube meets the base blackened, charred and was smelling. luckily they found it before it got any worse.

We got some LED lights for use in Christmas decorations. They seem to draw an extremely small amount of power, as the decorations have been on since Saturday night and they are still on the first set of batteries (4 AA). I've been pretty impressed by that. hopefully the prices will come down even further soon.

I'm sure this is an isolated incident, but my parents had one CFL nearly catch fire. The point where the tube meets the base blackened, charred and was smelling. luckily they found it before it got any worse.

We got some LED lights for use in Christmas decorations. They seem to draw an extremely small amount of power, as the decorations have been on since Saturday night and they are still on the first set of batteries (4 AA). I've been pretty impressed by that. hopefully the prices will come down even further soon.

I've had some of my older (we're talking 5+ year old) CFL's smoke and look a little charred when they go out. The newer ones we've bought don't seem to do this, but I've only had a couple of those go out (yeah, they don't last 7+ years, lol). Was this an older CFL that looked like it almost caught fire?

Regarding the LED Christmas lights...you have to love the blue hue, and if you don't then you're stuck with them because they'll probably outlast you. I've heard numbers around 85% for the amount of power reduction over regular Christmas lights.

No, the CFL was less than a year old. That's what threw me. I wonder if we're now getting some shoddily manufactured ones. the ones that run full time in the basement usually last three years, I think. Still better than cahnging the bulb every 60 days or so.

AS for the LEDs, they were crisp white at first, but have sense faded to an almost lightning bug pale green glow. It is incredible that they'll run at all with the batteries near dead.

Archived