A little bit of a stretch...

megad

I was watching this.. and I was wondering how cool something like that would be in Providence. Of course, I don't think that kind of architecture would fly in Providence, but I like the idea of having an international contest for a tower design. What does Mississauga have that we don't? We both sort of serve the same purpose (Providence to Boston, Mississauga to Toronto)

http://www.i-mad.com/projects_location.asp?id=17 ... damn that looks cool

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan. It looks like an Ikea vase. Though I like the night shot, it would be a better fit in Vegas.

I was watching this.. and I was wondering how cool something like that would be in Providence. Of course, I don't think that kind of architecture would fly in Providence, but I like the idea of having an international contest for a tower design. What does Mississauga have that we don't? We both sort of serve the same purpose (Providence to Boston, Mississauga to Toronto)

http://www.i-mad.com/projects_location.asp?id=17 ... damn that looks cool

PS, Mississauga is a mess. :sick:

What do you mean by this? I've spent a lot of time there over the years and have seen the city explode in both economic growth and population. The 1st time I went there the pop. was something like 150,000. The last time was 280,000. It's probably one of the largest suburbs of Toronto. But I'm not too crazy about the track house neighborhoods that I've found in a lot of Canadian cities. The downtown area has a lot of nice modern buildings but I never checked out the retail scence or the night life.

Toronto managed to incorporate all of the surrounding cities and towns into one metropolitian government, except for Mississauga, which declined because Toronto ignored them when they were nothing but a bedroom community. Now that Mississauga is a thriving city, it said NO to Toronto when they came a knocking. Good for them.

Toronto is better off not having it's good name applied to that exurban wasteland.

WOW! Your pretty rough on Mississauga. May I be so bold as to ask if you've actually been there? I have family there and have visited there for about the past 15 years. Toronto wanted to incorporate Mississauga BAD!!!!! There are many corporate businesses located there. I wouldn't be surprise if the population hasen't topped 325,000.

Based on the aerial view alone, I'll have to agree with Cotuit. There are eight lanes of traffic between this proposal and the massive parking sea across from it! Maybe there is more to this city that I can't see so I'll consider the possibility of being entirely wrong about this but having tall buildings doesn't make a place entirely urban, and this place just seems to have tall buildings in an office park. There's also an unneccessary duplication of style architecturally. I'm all for cities picking an architectural theme and running with it, it makes for sense of place, but there are groups of the same exact building in this picture! There are nine buildings that fall under three designs......what? I'm not saying that they CAN'T make a denser or more pedestrian-oriented city out of this place, I'm just saying that they haven't as of yet.

Maybe there is more to this city that I can't see so I'll consider the possibility of being entirely wrong about this but having tall buildings doesn't make a place entirely urban, and this place just seems to have tall buildings in an office park.

There ya go! :thumbsup: I don't like those buildings, wherever they may be, but I can tell you that IT IS NOT THE CBD OF Mississauga. Downtown Mississauga IMO is beautiful. The drive into the city is lined with company after company, corporation after corporation. Think of combining Providence with Warwick and you have Mississauga, only more modern.

There ya go! :thumbsup: I don't like those buildings, wherever they may be, but I can tell you that IT IS NOT THE CBD OF Mississauga. Downtown Mississauga IMO is beautiful. The drive into the city is lined with company after company, corporation after corporation. Think of combining Providence with Warwick and you have Mississauga, only more modern.

Here are some skyline photos:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/pc/?id=100996...aid=3&sro=1

I have to agree with the prevailing opinion thus far. This looks like a clone of the corporate-soulless White Plains/Stamford school of city design, but ugly. Looking at the "skyline" photos, the one on the far left in the second row down has a building that looks like the long lost blue brother to our BCBSRI building. Ugly stuff...

- Garris

Archived