Village Roadshow

memphis born

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Adventure River get renamed Wet and Wild? Not that it was ever associated with the Australia version. . .

While I hope we get more than just studios, I don't see any reasonto think they're interested in expanding their theme park business into America. I hope they are. Don't get me wrong.

Either way, it seems Village Roadshow is a great company to join our community.

I'm positive it was called Wild Water and Wheels. Why exactly did it shut down and whats in its place? I hope they put a waterpark at the Fairgrounds or Western Desoto County. I also hope they don't just put in just a soundstage but a fullblown studio in town.

• 2 months later...

Village Roadshow is no longer a possibility...for now, at least. CA article

Apparently, they asked for $5 million in city-county incentives and further state incentives than what the legislature passed to lure film production here. They also halved the amount they plan to spend in Memphis from $250 million to $125 million and didn't make a commitment to spend any money in the local economy.

We don't throw money out in advance to bait companies to come here, and that's basically what they were asking for. It's typical of an economic development deal that the company coming in asks for the moon and sees if they can get it."

Wednesday's letter noted that Village Roadshow was seeking incentives that "would rank among the most generous granted by any state in this country."

In the letter and in a phone interview, Sitler expressed the hope that Memphis and Village Roadshow could "partner successfully at a later date," perhaps resulting in the company shooting a movie here.

But it appears there was no chance of local and state government accepting Village Roadshow's terms for the regional headquarters: "It's asking for too much," Sitler said.

Archived