Purcell's speech today on CC

hayesmw

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with him. We already have a great tourism economy. All we need to do is maybe update the convention center, or build a newer, but smaller one to replace it. I don't think the $500 million is necessary, same as the $300 million delta on the east bank. I do think something should be done, just not on such a grand scale. We should use the extra money for something like tax deductions for businesses so that they will finally start coming to downtown instead of Cool Springs.

:Edit:

I would be MUCH happier with that idea, than the current one, because the big-block development of a convention center seems like it would be very detrimental to SoBro, and this would probably help stimulate development on the East Bank (land prices are probably cheaper there anyway).

I would be MUCH happier with that idea, than the current one, because the big-block development of a convention center seems like it would be very detrimental to SoBro, and this would probably help stimulate development on the East Bank (land prices are probably cheaper there anyway).

Although I was intitially afraid a CC in Sobro would just be a big box, I have received several assurances that it will incorporate retail and restaurants into it. At one presentation, the speaker even mentioned that the committee had talked about including a Nordstrom's!! Even though i think that is a bit far-fetched, I think it is a positive direction of thinking about different things we can incorporate to bring conventioneers and Nashvillians together through this structure. Also, business uses within the structure would hopefully also be used to mitigate costs in some ways. Anyway, I'll be holding my breath until the renderings, but the presentations by the Music City Center group did put me at ease somewhat.

If the convention center was on the East bank they could have some really cool glass views facing the city and the river. Have you all ever been to Javits center in New York? The convention center has beatiful views of the Hudson River and it's really cool. This is probably a little ambitous in my mind, but I can see a Really cool development on the East Bank. Could they also link it to DT with a monorail system???? Maybe? Please???

If the convention center was on the East bank they could have some really cool glass views facing the city and the river. Have you all ever been to Javits center in New York? The convention center has beatiful views of the Hudson River and it's really cool. This is probably a little ambitous in my mind, but I can see a Really cool development on the East Bank. Could they also link it to DT with a monorail system???? Maybe? Please???

NO!!!! IT MUST BE TRAM!!!!!! :thumbsup:

It would be funny if the convention center got built on the east bank and the Ramada and the Stadium Inn started promoting themselves as "convention hotels," especially the Stadium Inn, or better yet, the Knight Inn on Jefferson. Imagine the looks on the faces of the guests when they arrived!

It would be funny if the convention center got built on the east bank and the Ramada and the Stadium Inn started promoting themselves as "convention hotels," especially the Stadium Inn, or better yet, the Knight Inn on Jefferson. Imagine the looks on the faces of the guests when they arrived!

:rofl: I could see myself falling into that trap!!

yeah, I personally think the heart of Nashville could be put to better use than a 400k sq. ft. hall that get's used half a dozen times per year.

I guarantee you that the convention center would have an enormous number of days of use during the course of the year. I would believe a hundred use days a year way before I'd believe a half dozen. I don't have the facts at hand, but I'm sure the current one is in use for dozens of conventions each year, and a newer, larger one could attract additional events which are too big for the current convention center.

I didn't see the latest report from UT as a 100% thumbs up. It makes a valid point that I have said many times: Nashville-Davidson county is competing with a private entity, Gaylord Hotels. That means Nashville tax payers will be paying to build a new convention center that will compete with Gaylord. In the worst case scenario, Gaylord could determine that their property here is no longer valuable and shut it down or sell it off, thus killing the largest generator of hotel/motel tax in the county. How can that be good? I know that is the worse case scenario, but are we really in a position where we can hope that everything works out for all parties involved?

Let's look at this another way. I decide to open a bakery. Nashville-Davidon county then comes and says 'I want a bigger bakery, and mine will be subsidized by every single tax payer in davidson county.' How is that fair to me, the private company who can't throw people in jail for not giving me money? I'm not saying NAshville can't or shouldn't proceed with a new facility; I just hate when the government competes with private industry.

I've said all along the solution is to work with Opryland to increase their convention space, and connect it with downtown via a high speed rail. The cost would be MUCH lower that half a billion dollars, and Davidson county taxpayers would have no liability at all.

Archived