Michigan's Bottle Law

NorthCoast

2)If people really do actually care about the money they get from the deposit than they certainly wouldn't care about having to drive a few minutes further to regional recycling center (public or private) to receive their money. This idea would also create new job opportunities. If people really cared about recycling a little raise in tax to fund greater efforts would be welcomed.

People care about the deposit money b/c it is easy and convenient for them to get it back. Have to go to the grocery store anyway . . . .lets face it . .the general public at large is not going to make an extra trip to take back their cans/bottles . . . I'd bet on it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like the idea of the penny tax. I think Michigan should keep a hybrid law of bottle returns, and the penny tax.

I'm also in favor of moving bottle return stations and recycling stations to seperate locations. One thing I always thought was disgusting was dirty bottles flying all over in a grocery store. Michigan needs to start cleaning itself up, everything I read says we are one of the dirtiest states in the US.

For a state that wants to bring in tourists, we need to keep things clean.

I'm also in favor of moving bottle return stations and recycling stations to seperate locations. One thing I always thought was disgusting was dirty bottles flying all over in a grocery store. Michigan needs to start cleaning itself up, everything I read says we are one of the dirtiest states in the US.

For a state that wants to bring in tourists, we need to keep things clean.

I agree with separate facilities. The convenience of being able to return bottles and cans at the grocery store is nice, but dirty. I like when stores have the bottle returns separated from the groceries, especially when they're right in the front of the grocery stores, before you even get to the registers or food. It's nice that Meijer has separate areas for recycling, but I always thought it was odd that you had to cart your dirty returnables all the way to the back of the store.

I agree with separate facilities. The convenience of being able to return bottles and cans at the grocery store is nice, but dirty. I like when stores have the bottle returns separated from the groceries, especially when they're right in the front of the grocery stores, before you even get to the registers or food. It's nice that Meijer has separate areas for recycling, but I always thought it was odd that you had to cart your dirty returnables all the way to the back of the store.

The new meijer stores have the bottle returns in the front of the store, but the old ones don't.

Has anyone ever been to a store that has a certain limit on returns? Some of the Family Fares around have posted limits of 25 dollars. I am under the assumption that this is against the law, but the state provides no penalty; the stores are free to do have their own rules as a result.

Here in Metro Chicago it feels weird not running into people with carts full of bottles. I'm currently sipping on some Coca Cola, the can just mets its death at the trash can -- just thrown away.

Has anyone ever been to a store that has a certain limit on returns? Some of the Family Fares around have posted limits of 25 dollars. I am under the assumption that this is against the law, but the state provides no penalty; the stores are free to do have their own rules as a result.
According to a recent GR Press article "Cap on pop bottle returns is hard to swallow", $25 is the state minimum a store must accept:
Under the law, any store selling pop or beer "must" accept returns of up to $25 in deposits -- 250 cans-- on any products they sell.
I know Family Fare will accept more than $25 in returns. I believe they post that so individuals don't monopolize the machines with $100+ in returns.

But, you are correct that some stores have illegal limits and requirements for returns. "Empty promises make for unhappy returns":

There is no enforcement of the law's most basic provisions, and retailers freely make rules that sometimes are illegal.

That's what a Press reporter found as he tested the bottle law's simplest premise -- that any merchant must accept up to $25 per person in eligible bottles and cans returned for a refund.

Some stores, particularly the smallest, place lower limits on how many returns they'll accept; others restrict the times when they take them or what kind of bag they are delivered in. One requires you to spend more than a buck in the store.

None of those freelance rules is codified in the state law, however.

Archived