Renaissance Raleigh Hotel @ North Hills

bikwillie

Does anybody have any idea if and when ground will be broken on the hotel at North Hills? They've moved the start date back several times. Last I heard they were supposed to break ground in October, then late this year, and then someone told me this January.

Also, does the planned hotel on the East side suggest that the other has fallen through, or do they believe there is enough of a market for both there?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that it has fallen through. There is a big hole where the hotel will go, plus it is in a more prominent locale than to the east. I'm sure they can handle two hotels with everything that is planned for that area. It will be a great place for out-of-towners with all of the entertainment/restaurants there.

Also, does the planned hotel on the East side suggest that the other has fallen through, or do they believe there is enough of a market for both there?

I'm still hearing January. The NHE hotel will be a second hotel on the whole site. The Renaissance is still a "GO", as is the high rise condo building that will be behind the Alexan and The Lassiter.

• 2 months later...

Yeah. He should have put the tall elements to the property back where Gold's Gym is - on top of parking garage, duh!, and with high visibility to the Beltline. Big mistake, imho.

I think Cherokee Partners was handling the contamination issue for Kane.

At least the Renaissance Hotel is going up behind Gol's Gym. This will ass some heighth and make a big impact from the beltline.

• 2 months later...

The new Renaissance Hotel is set to begin construction this summer. If construction goes according to plan, it could beat Soleil Center as Raleigh's first 4 Star hotel. Construction is slated to be complete sometime next year. Gold gym has reached an agreement with the new hotel to allow guests to utilize their gym. Entrances to the gym will be on the first and second floors. The current plan is decent looking and should look great from the Beltline. Imagine in a few years seeing the existing Highwoods buildings, North Hills phase two midrises, the Renaissance Hotel, and Soliel Cental all from the Beltline. Oh, and lets not forget the other midrises they have proposed at the Intersection of Glenwood and Creedmoor roads. Raleigh is set to have a string of midrises and highrises across the entire northern arc of the Beltline. Now if only we could have streetlights installed on 440.

The entire article can be read here:

http://www.northraleighnews.com/front/stor...p-9395346c.html

Here is the last rendering I could find of the project.

Raleighrenaissancerendering.jpeg

:yahoo:

The new Renaissance Hotel is set to begin construction this summer. If construction goes according to plan, it could beat Soleil Center as Raleigh's first 4 Star hotel. Construction is slated to be complete sometime next year. Gold gym has reached an agreement with the new hotel to allow guests to utilize their gym. Entrances to the gym will be on the first and second floors. The current plan is decent looking and should look great from the Beltline. Imagine in a few years seeing the existing Highwoods buildings, North Hills phase two midrises, the Renaissance Hotel, and Soliel Cental all from the Beltline. Oh, and lets not forget the other midrises they have proposed at the Intersection of Glenwood and Creedmoor roads. Raleigh is set to have a string of midrises and highrises across the entire northern arc of the Beltline. Now if only we could have streetlights installed on 440.

The entire article can be read here:

http://www.northraleighnews.com/front/stor...p-9395346c.html

Here is the last rendering I could find of the project.

Raleighrenaissancerendering.jpeg

I can't wait for this one to get started... well I can't wait for all these projects to start construction! It seems as if we have loads of projects that are going to break ground this year. Speaking of that, it seems as if Raleigh is going to be a city of cranes in 2007. Can anybody come up with a good crane count? It must be in the teens or even the lower 20's. It's going to be awesome driving around and seeing the construction all over our city! :yahoo:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This project was announced on 2 July 2004 as a 240 room hotel opening in the summer of 2005. Then it was reduce to a 229 room hotel opening in the summer of 2007. I have not been by there lately, has this project broken ground? It seems that Mr Kane is in a holding pattern on this project, until he gets the word from the City of Raleigh on his 75 million TIF from the city for parking decks for North Hills East. Does anyone else think this may be the reason? Anyone have any inside "Intel" on this project?

Good question. I ride by every day looking for movement. I hear people say the Alexan has not gone well but would also like to hear inside Intel on that. There has been no mention of new plans for the offices where Firestone/gas station are located and I wonder about the condo building behind the Lassiter and how is it going.

A few stores have fallen out and I am waiting to see if some of the restaurants go under. I really think he needs NH East to make the whole thing work and get off the "food court". I think the most sucessful part is the movie theater and the restaurants around it but that could have been done in a normal strip center for much less cost.

I do think the parking deck yea or nay drive the financials of the whole development. Maybe some of his backers are getting antzy until they see if they get the $75M.

Of course, as soon as I write this, they will start digging. :sick:

From a few inside sources at Marriott, this hotel project is on very shaky ground. It will likely not open as a Renaissance....look for a smaller hotel...not sure of the timeline though.

If so, that means that the hotel that will open there (if one opens !!!) might not be a 4-star property which could knock-off one of the planed 4-star hotels for Raleigh. Also, if it is not a 4-star, then I have doubts that Ruth Chris SH will come in as talked aboutbut who knows. Good for JKs.

We might see a good 3 star class like a basic Marriott or maybe change chains to a Wyndham or even a nicer 2+plus star Hampton Inn. Who knows??

This also brings more strenght to the Weston at Soleil.

If so, that means that the hotel that will open there (if one opens !!!) might not be a 4-star property which could knock-off one of the planed 4-star hotels for Raleigh. Also, if it is not a 4-star, then I have doubts that Ruth Chris SH will come in as talked aboutbut who knows. Good for JKs.

We might see a good 3 star class like a basic Marriott or maybe change chains to a Wyndham or even a nicer 2+plus star Hampton Inn. Who knows??

My reaction to riding through Phillips' Place in Charlotte about 4 years ago was,"Oh! They only got a Hampton Inn for this nice looking project?" On the other hand, has anyone shopped rates with Hampton Inn lately? Not so cheap.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Archived