Renaissance Raleigh Hotel @ North Hills

bikwillie

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hmm...I havn't thought much about the room virtues for this place...obviously shopping but not much foot exploring beyond North Hills....wonder if the south face faces much towards downtown and if so what the skyline looks like at this distance....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to derail the topic, but I still completely disagree with the notion of calling North Hills "midtown". It just doesn't work for me, and considering how new and relatively suburban the North Hills area is, it really really sounds cheesy. I look away in shame when my friends at work describe it as "midtown" to out-of-town guests. At least they don't refer to Brier Creek as "uptown"... yet. :(

Anyway I am seldom on the northeastern part of I-440, but last night I was on the bike and noticed something foreign above the tree-line near the Wake Forest Rd exit. Upon close inspection it was the top of this hotel! Niice! Since North Hills is on a relatively high geographic point, even a 10 story building looks impressive from a distance. This hotel and the Soleil will certainly be welcome additions to the Raleigh area. A lot of our guests at work poke fun at the choices we currently have. :)

• 7 months later...

Hey mods, is it worth combining this thread with the NE East thread and the regular NH thread (if there is one)? Anyway, Renaissance is hiring 200 positions and the paper said 500 people have applied. Wow. With the offices across the street, NH really is quite an employment center and ripe for better transit service. (ten minute peak buses maybe as a start).

An observation on the materials, the sidewalks in NH are cracking all to pieces. Every few feet is a crack spanning the full distance from faux joint to faux joint. Obviously the depth of the concrete (should be 4-6 inches) or the subgrade and sub-base material were cheaped out on....I have noticed some of this downtown on the FS cross streets that had new sidewalks, but not to the extent that I saw at NH. Hillsborough Street's sidewalks that I am looking at right now, is dirtier, but far less cracked.....The coming winter season will surely exacerbate this in NH.

On a brighter note, I went to the new Urban Food Group restaurant, Coquette for a drink. They have a nickel plated bar, that the owner said cost 150k dollars and was imported from France. Wow. The floors are tiled in those little mini tiles my grandmothers bathroom had, Its very very nice, yet still seemed fairly relaxed. The beers are all unique yet affordable...I had a $4 witbier, and the most expensive tap was $7. What I like about the UFG is that they have always welcomed the casual Joe (maybe even Joe Six Pack), even as they strive to keep their places looking and running smooth as can be.

Archived