New Gateway Construction

Relient J

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the project that's currently under construction at the corner of Medical Center Parkway and Thompson Ln. If you're coming toward the Gateway from I-24, it's the project going up on the corner across the street on the left, across Medical Center Parkway from The Oaks Shopping Center.

A few weeks ago they had a big sign up next to the construction that gave a name to the project. It was called Gateway Corner or Gateway Crossing. It appears to be a retail development, but I was wondering if anyone had any specifics on the nature of the project. Thanks!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the project that's currently under construction at the corner of Medical Center Parkway and Thompson Ln. If you're coming toward the Gateway from I-24, it's the project going up on the corner across the street on the left, across Medical Center Parkway from The Oaks Shopping Center.

A few weeks ago they had a big sign up next to the construction that gave a name to the project. It was called Gateway Corner or Gateway Crossing. It appears to be a retail development, but I was wondering if anyone had any specifics on the nature of the project. Thanks!

The Development is Gateway Crossing and will contain a retail store and Red Robins specialty hamburger and spirit shop. On the Northside of town, Harvest Bread Co. and Papa Murphy's Pizza are about to open.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post. I was wondering if anyone knows what is going up at the intersection of Medical Center Parkway and Gateway Boulevard. If you're heading toward Thompson Lane, it's on your right. They have the ground cleared away and stakes planted. It looks to be a size-able project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ I've been wondering that too. That building is also not on the site plan on their Web site, so it must be a relatively recent addition to the shopping center's plans.

The mysterious building across from Carraba's is Pei Wei Asian Dinner. It is a branch of P.F. Chang's and will open after Thanksgiving. Red Robin's Hamburgers will also open after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the info, Justiceham! I just heard of Pei Wei from someone the other day. I didn't know it was related to P.F. Chang's. I've never been to a P.F. Chang's, but they seem to be highly regarded. The Red Robin's is going to be an interesting building I can tell already. It's also bigger than I would have expected.

• 1 month later...

Here's a Nashville Business Journal article about the Red Robin going up in The Gateway:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stori...html?from_rss=1

According to the article it will open on January 15.

Here also is an article from the DNJ's Web site on the matter:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...NEWS01/61226010

• 1 year later...

I read it would be 7 stories and 85 feet tall. Nice to see the Boro going a little verticle.

Yes, this is very welcome news. Height shouldn't be too much of an issue in this area with a maximum cap of 150 ft. It seems the planners are finally realizing that stringent height limits push development elsewhere.

• 4 months later...

Candlewood Suites is planning a new hotel on North thompson Lane and it looks like the new Swanson development will proceed with their new mixed used retail and residential buildings near the Oaks Shopping Center. The plans will not nclude the tire center as originally planned but the four story residential condos, department store, and boutique shops wil remain as well as the two level parking garage. A spur will provide connectivity from the newly completed Greenway extension's island, pond, and visitors center. The new extension is a beautiful addition to the Greenway trail system.

• 4 years later...

7 new hotels coming to The Boro, it seems likely. The article does have at least one typo, listing Holiday Inn & Suites twice. This could be a domino for the Gateway to get back on track and see more retail move into The Avenue and surrounding parcels.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20130531/NEWS05/305310047/Hospitality-Central-Seven-more-hotels-poised-join-Boro-s-Gateway

7 new hotels coming to The Boro, it seems likely. The article does have at least one typo, listing Holiday Inn & Suites twice. This could be a domino for the Gateway to get back on track and see more retail move into The Avenue and surrounding parcels.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20130531/NEWS05/305310047/Hospitality-Central-Seven-more-hotels-poised-join-Boro-s-Gateway

Read the article too. This is great news and has been needed for quite some time, considering Bonaroo, all of the festivals, conventions, and happenings of Nashville. I would expect to see a Four Points by Sheraton, Hyatt Place, or Hilton hotel in the area soon. Farther down Medical Center Parkway, construction has begun on a new mixed use development with apartments, townhomes, retail, and office space. Can't remember the name of the development, but it was approved last year after the developer "promised" to remove the vinyl siding. It is located at the intersection of Robert Rose Drive and MCP aimed at college students and young families. On the other side of the interstate along Fortress Boulevard, Integra Creek Apartments have opened. The luxury apartments are part of the larger mixed use development called Fortress Landing, a 130 acre project near the Blackman Schools. 

http://www.showcase.com/property/I-24-Fortress-Boulevard/Murfreesboro/Tennessee/7076706

With all of these new hotels likely to come online within the next 2-3 years, expect attendant retail boom to follow and see more windows open at The Avenue and more of the outparcels be developed as well. Murfreesboro is still under-retailed to an extent.

Archived