Space Needle

MadVlad

How high above street level is the dyke in that area? Could the Dyke protude out so the road can clear it?

I'll check next time I walk by but if I recall the dyke is raised about as high as I-91 is in that area and about 10 feet away from the interstate.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best place I could think of logistically for a street level bridge would be Wawarme Ave. south of Colt Park, as this road already extends to Charter Oak Landing because the dyke becomes only a hill instead of a wall and I-91 curves inland. This would put the bridge pretty far in the middle of nowhere compared to the original idea, I think.

I think that Hartford needs a landmark bridge. New York has the Brooklyn Bridge. Philly has the Ben Franklin, San Fran has the Golden Gate, Jacksonville has that nice blue one (i forgot the name). What does Hartford have? Nothing but the boring founders bridge. We need something that stands out. I like the idea of a tower but only if it is on the East Hartford side because it would really throw off Hartford's skyline.

I think that Hartford needs a landmark bridge. New York has the Brooklyn Bridge. Philly has the Ben Franklin, San Fran has the Golden Gate, Jacksonville has that nice blue one (i forgot the name). What does Hartford have? Nothing but the boring founders bridge. We need something that stands out. I like the idea of a tower but only if it is on the East Hartford side because it would really throw off Hartford's skyline.

For some strange reason I agree with everything you said. We need a bridge and I would rather see a space needle in East Hartford than Hartford. They really need to build that side of the riverfront up so that the Hartford/East Hartford Skyline surround drivers on I 91. And a landmark bridge downtown would really add alot to the charactor of the city. I say I say founders bridge should be redesigned and there should be a bridge from the North Meadows to East Hartford. I think there needs to be a new bridge from the North Meadows to East Hartford, maybe that would just make my life alot easier.

It is too bad that I-84 had to attach itself to the Bulkely Bridge. May Fox wanted to make sure the highway went right by her store. I-84 could have crossed the river to the north, but instead swings in right by the G Fox building. The integration of the bridge and highway still seems clumsy. On the East Hartford side, the alignment with Connecticut Boulevard is obvious while the highway sweeps in for the interception.

The Bulkely Bridge would have been an ideal street connecting downtown Hartford and East Hartford. Imagine "Connecticut Boulevard", from Main Street to Main Street.

Here is a site about the Bulkely Bridge

The reason I suggested the Space Needle for the spot that I did is I was trying to establish a connection between the Mark Twain House and Downtown, which the Space Needle would do great. It's also on higher ground there, affording better views without making the thing this enormous monstrosity....

That being said, I'm all for building up the East Hartford side of the River. You know that the people that are currently living in that high-rise condo are fighting a second tower because they want to be exclusive, right?

When people hear 'space needle' they think Seattle. Honestly, a space needle was original in the 1960's (no offense MadVlad) but in how many cities has a space needle or similar type structure really put them on the map, besides the CN Tower in Toronto, which was probably already on the map. Hartford needs something no other city has, it doesn't have to be a big thing or a small thing, just original, something other cities will copy, not something we copied from another city. Providence had that 'waterfire' thing or whatever for example and now thats popping up all over from what I hear. That being said however, unoriginal ideas can work too, I think the new science museum (especially if it lives up to the renderings, it looks amazing) is going to be a really big draw for Hartford, at least in pulling in people from the immediate suburbs, and we need those people before we can even think about drawing in tourist-types who would possibly be attracted to a space needle.

The more I think about it, the more a large peice of public art would possibly make sense in Hartford. Something, that would look interesting can't hurt.

I mean something akin to a large tower, or space needle if you must. Maybe some kind of large obelisk with some sort historical Hartford Engraving and a good light source aimed at it.

I still want to float the idea of a Connecticut Hall of Fame as something unique.

I don't know about that, that only appeals to the 3.5 million Connecticut residents (what do you people call yourselves, Connecticuteers?). Hartford is directly on the fast route between New York and Boston...we need something to get people off of 91 and 84 and into the city. A space needle might do that based simply on visibility, although it is still not that original. But a green sign on 91 saying "interesting tourist trap, next left" would accomplish the same thing. IMO however, I think that the Science Center Atrium hanging over I91 is going to be a great advertisment in and of itself and probably draw people into the city.

I don't know about that, that only appeals to the 3.5 million Connecticut residents (what do you people call yourselves, Connecticuteers?). Hartford is directly on the fast route between New York and Boston...we need something to get people off of 91 and 84 and into the city. A space needle might do that based simply on visibility, although it is still not that original. But a green sign on 91 saying "interesting tourist trap, next left" would accomplish the same thing. IMO however, I think that the Science Center Atrium hanging over I91 is going to be a great advertisment in and of itself and probably draw people into the city.

Sadly, we actually call ourselves Nutmeggers. :(

• 4 months later...

Going into this tower just reinforces my opinion that a Space Needle could work in Hartford. I guarantee something like this would bring people into the city as visitors. We don't need rollercoasters and rides on top, just a nice tower that overlooks the beautiful city and region. There really is not anything like it for miles and miles, it would definitely draw some visitors.

Going into this tower just reinforces my opinion that a Space Needle could work in Hartford. I guarantee something like this would bring people into the city as visitors. We don't need rollercoasters and rides on top, just a nice tower that overlooks the beautiful city and region. There really is not anything like it for miles and miles, it would definitely draw some visitors.

i agree. Hartford would no longer be seen as 'the city between new york and boston'. it would help us in being a city in the U.S that is different for our population size. BUILD IT NOW!

Archived