Space Needle

MadVlad

A giant single action Colt 45 peacemaker on top of a space needle? That will get the Cabela's shoppers into the city no doubt.

Somehow, I think that would not be the correct symbol for Hartford given our present day realities. Although I think it would be pretty funny.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As attention getting as that might be, I was thinking of something a more... symbolic :).

Maybe a large likeness of the Colt horse, or something completely abstract like a graceful tower.

A horse would be right on, but how would you make a tower out of that?

A horse would be right on, but how would you make a tower out of that?

Just thinking out loud here, but...

Here is the "rampant colt" trademark:

Colt15-Rampant-colt.jpg

It was designed as a reflection of Sam Colt and as a symbol of the company he built. This small figure has sat atop the onion dome at the Colt building on and off for over 150 years.

Now imagine an Effiel-toweresque structure with this Colt figure sitting on top. Maybe the tower would be 300-400 feet with a 100 ft or so tall Colt figure on top. The tower would serve as a pedestal for the sculpture (much like the Statue of liberty). At the top of the tower and at the base of the horse would be an observation deck. It could be part of the Coltsville National Park. Hopefully, Coltsville would also house an extensive Colt museum including the largest collection of Colt firarms now owned by the Connecticut State Library and Colt's revolutionary manufacturing processes. The CSL also owns the original Colt Statue from the onion dome.

colt.gif

Imagine the tower residing at the Colt Botanical Garden (the idea has been kicking around for years). I think you'd have a winner. The Botanical Garden, Tower and Museum at the National Park would draw visitors and you would have your unique structure for Hartford that is very relevant to our history. You would also get your icon for the skyline.

Now how all this gets paid for is anyone's guess...

Nice view from 502 feet. The area around the base is filled with tourist traps like the sci-fi museum and even a high school football stadium. You need a new site with more room.

Was the base that wide? I'm trying to remember, it was probably 1998 or so when I was there (they were working on the outside, so scaffolding was everywhere). I don't remember a football stadium, though I do remember the awesome outside fountain they had they went in concert with classical music and colored lights and that it was very close to the Key Arena....

Key arena is right next door, there is a straight science center and something called the music experience is part of the sci-fi museum. The bottom of the actual needle is tiny. Bt they have roller coasters, store etc around the base. It's a well designed mulit-facility tourist trap the entire complex takes up more than a couple of acres.

Nice view from 502 feet. The area around the base is filled with tourist traps like the sci-fi museum and even a high school football stadium. You need a new site with more room.

So what are some good sites?

What would the view be like?

One thing to keep in mind would be to give it its own space. For example, you probably wouldn't want it to dwarf an important landmark.

beerBeer:

Where's the sci-fi museum? I'd love to see COLTSVILLE be renovated. That old MSG (Manchester Sand and Gravel - not the other MSG) tower need to be gone. Dillon needs to be fixed up.

JimS

beerBeer:

Where's the sci-fi museum? I'd love to see COLTSVILLE be renovated. That old MSG (Manchester Sand and Gravel - not the other MSG) tower need to be gone. Dillon needs to be fixed up.

JimS

They are indeed working on Dillon Stadium, and I do believe that gravel tower is down...

MadVlad:

Thanks!! I have to say that MSG tower was a landmark -- in the late 60s, it had on it 'The Home of the Harford Knights'.

What are they doing to Dillon? Putting in SKYBOXES?? :rofl:

No idea, they have the area past the endzones all dug up, and a lot of the area behind the bleachers on the Van Dyke Ave side....

No idea, they have the area past the endzones all dug up, and a lot of the area behind the bleachers on the Van Dyke Ave side....

Yeah, I saw that too. It's good to see them fixing it up. That stadium is a city asset. So many Hartford High Vs. Weaver games and so many dissapointments. At least we (HPHS) beat the tar out of them last Thanksgiving for the first time in at least 10 years!!!

I was going through my pics the other day and found the pics I took of the Space Needle and CN Tower when I was in Seattle and Toronto respectively. As unlikely as this is to happen, it really excites me to think about it...

Never say never. Although It probably won't be in my lifetime.

Archived