Raleigh Convention Center

Justin6882

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOOhhh. I like I was skeptical myself of the design, but after that video and seeing several renderings. I am loving what I am seeing. Convention is a big business. There are 3 other cities within a few hundred miles with new convention centers open or opening soon. Including Richmond, VA, Hampton Roads, VA, and Virginia Beach, VA.

This is one of the better decisions Raleigh has made recently. Now if they would just go ahead and approve the Reynolds Tower idea.

"Don't be afraid to dream; And while your at it, dream big"

• 2 weeks later...

Swaying Shimmer on a Wall

I haven't seen what the shimmer wall on the BofA parking garage looks like, but this sounds like a neat idea...I just hope it doesn't look tacky 20-30 years from now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anything that can cost-effectively enhance downtown's uniqueness is a good idea, in my opinion. I would think that the city would certainly want to call attention to the convention center in ways like this, establishing it as a legit city landmark.

Personally, I don't think Charlotte's wall is that cool. Occasionally someone will remark that it looks neat but all in all it just looks like a dressed up chain link fence. Which is pretty much all it is anyway. Maybe Raleigh will put a little more effort into their version and come up with something a little better. In Charlotte it looks as if the idea is taking off as a way to dress up parking decks but I still think it looks cheap and unfinished. It is an interesting concept for covering however I still don't think anyone has done well in using it to its full advantage. I hope architects in Raleigh put a lot of thought into the wall behind the metal and use the way that wall and the lighting play through the metal to achieve something more than the "parking garage chain-link" look the Charlotte version has.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, the gauntlet has been thrown. this morning an army of dump trucks converged on the side of the new convention center to begin moving thousands of tons of dirt from the site. I went up to the top of the parking deck across from Two Hannover to get a good look (incidentally, great panoramic view of downtown). As I looked down at the steam shovels feeding huge gulps of earth into the dumptrucks, I imagined a herd of huge sauropods munching out on some Jurassic landscape. I think the new convention center will be a success, despite what some local luddites think.

Yeah, I read about it in the paper today. I can't believe its going to take 32,000 truckloads of dirt. I'm still not sure I completely agree with the notion of building half of it underground. I think it would make much more of a statement if it all were above ground.

And another completely off topic thought I had today...why in the world did the city council want parallel parking on Fayetteville Street...I watched 3 people yesterday try to parallel on Hillsborough and its sad how much trouble they had. I think sacrificing some sidewalk space for diagonal parking makes much more sense.

And another completely off topic thought I had today...why in the world did the city council want parallel parking on Fayetteville Street...I watched 3 people yesterday try to parallel on Hillsborough and its sad how much trouble they had.  I think sacrificing some sidewalk space for diagonal parking makes much more sense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Somehow I assumed that it would be diagonal. Oh well, I can park both ways so I'm not too worried.

After working in downtown Raleigh for about a year I too can park either way. (After a few incidents between the curb and my rims, but I digress). But anyhoo, it will be a great addition to the city and should have been done a couple of years ago. But I think the timing is right on this one. First the Arena, albeit in the wrong location, then the convention center, and then the New airport terminal @ RDU in 2008/9.

Thought I would post renderings of the new Convention Center project. I must say that they really do an amazing job with those renderings and if it looks like that, I will be happy with it. Along with the Fay St. rebuild, the marriott Hotel, and the likely developments coming to the Conv. Center Cultural District, this new facility will really be a boost to the core of DT Raleigh.

Thought I would post renderings of the new Convention Center project.  I must say that they really do an amazing job with those renderings and if it looks like that, I will be happy with it.  Along with the Fay St. rebuild, the marriott Hotel, and the likely developments coming to the Conv. Center Cultural District, this new facility will really be a boost to the core of DT Raleigh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that is a true representation of what the convention center will look like, then I'm glad they are putting part of it underground. I don't like buildings that are both tall and wide as this one would most likely be.

Thanks chief!

Great news for Raleigh. Here in Va Beach we are building our new Convention center as well. Unfortunately, for us we don't have a convention center hotel in the mix. Since the center was near the beach and hotels it was thought it was not a huge issue but now we find we may need one. Does anyone know does Raleigh intend to build one?

^ So is the hotel going to be 14 stories, or is just the tower of rooms going to be 14 stories with 2 or 3 levels underneath for retail, etc.?  I've been confused about this for a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A quick look at the rendering shows (if I counted correctly) what appears to be 16 stories. Still a far cry from the original request for 23 floors!

Great pictures as always, Flash! You should keep going back there every couple of months for a progress update.

Seeing that picture makes me wonder when something's going to happen with the Enterprise Rent-A-Car lot on the corner of Cabarrus and McDowell. Hopefully, no more stupid parking decks. You could fit a couple of pretty big... well, anythings! right there. Condo, hotel, office, mixed use... just a block away from Fayetteville St, too.

Archived