Raleigh Convention Center

Justin6882

:D Here are some of the pictures of the construction of the new Convention Center that I promised. From a "Birds Eye". I will post periodically to update.

If you notice if the second picture you can see the tunnel that will lead from underneath the Marriott into the Convention Center underneath Salisbury Street. The put the roof on yesterday, before that you could clearly see the tunnel. They are making really good progress. I suspect they will start with the hotel in the spring on '07 at this rate, perhaps sooner.

Gotta love Fall in North Carolina :)

bigdig4.jpg

bigdig6.jpg

auditorium.jpg

bigdig7.jpg

bigdig3.jpg

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work in the top of Bank of America so Pictures arent an issue. Finding the time is. But I will do my best to keep you guys updated.

Also most of that is the parking deck however, the diagonal piece in the ground in the 2nd pic is one of the underground tunnels beneath the parking deck and the future hotel. The way it looks they may have a tunnel on each level of the parking deck as well as the hotel.

I thought the parking structure was going to be under Salisbury, but it looks like the convention center itself is. The last time I went by there, it looked like they were reconstructing west Cabarrus with a "bridge" from Salisbury to McDowell. That bridge will be above the area accessed by the bridge as part of McDowell street to the west.

I know parking structure construction isn't the same as hotel construction, but it is a start, and will be interesting. I don't know much about construction, but it seems the CC has a "head start" compared to the Marriott itself.

I think the land bound by McDowell, Davie, Gale, and Cabarrus will be something other than the current parking lot and Enterprise outlet. With its proximity to the CC, a hotel could be in order, and maybe Enterprise could be part of the mix, with spaces in an existing or new deck for its rental fleet. Retail corridors along Davie and Cabarrus would tie to the Depot district. It would be cool to have retail on McDowell as well, mirroring the "Wake County parking deck wrapped with retail and condos" project sort of mentioned in this thread and more recently in this other thread.

N&O: Underground parking deck's cost rises $4.4M. I sure hope we charge plenty for that thing once it's built. :P

I thought the parking structure was going to be under Salisbury, but it looks like the convention center itself is. The last time I went by there, it looked like they were reconstructing west Cabarrus with a "bridge" from Salisbury to McDowell. That bridge will be above the area accessed by the bridge as part of McDowell street to the west.

I know parking structure construction isn't the same as hotel construction, but it is a start, and will be interesting. I don't know much about construction, but it seems the CC has a "head start" compared to the Marriott itself.

I always go over to take a look every couple of weeks or so. Salisbury and Cabarrus are being built as bridges essentially, with walkways underneath (meeting rooms underneath Cabarrus). The RCC is indeed ahead of the Marriott, but really needs it due to the size and scope of that structure. The Marriott is probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the size in square feet compared to the RCC.

Question?

Has anyone here had/have any problems viewing the RCC web site cam? The site:

http://earthcam.com/clients/raleigh/index.php

Now only shows three pictures that were from at least a week ago even though they have an updated time stamp on them. I say at least a week because I check it out everyday and it hasn't changed since then. Also, I have sent an email but have had no reply as of yet. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad that the cc, which is really looking great, won't be as overpowering to the skyline as previous photo shots have it. It is now going to be interesting to see how the new Marriott hotel is going to look against the other buildings. Again, hopfully not as large as the photo's had it! :D

Expect 10 million more in a few months, and 10 million more a few months after that, continued until the completion of the project. That's how these things turn out.

It'll generate new types of demand for services in Raleigh, so it'll pay off anyway. That's also how these things generally turn out.

Archived