Raleigh Convention Center

Justin6882

In addition to the Enterprise lot, has anyone noticed that prime locations for high-rises downtown are currently occupied by those tire dealerships between Mcdowell and Dawson streets? I say it's time for them to relocate. Currently, all the high rise buildings downtown are in a strip along Fayetteville st only a block or so wide. This gives downtown Raleigh the look of a Potemkin village. I say let high rise development spread outward (mainly westward) and give downtown Raleigh some mass!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

So i searched and searched and I couldn't find a topic just on the convention center itself (lots of others on the hotel, tearing down the old one, shimmer walls, etc). So I'm going to start one to put all future updates in one place.

Here's an update for today:

The underground walkway connecting the convention center and the hotel (which is, I think, an integral part as people will likely be using this often) is under review. Some people just want to put stairs in instead of escalators. I think thats a terrible move, as a lot of people in the US are, unfortunately lazy. Also, some people simply can't make it up stairs because of other physical impairments. Anyway, I hope they don't go for the completely no frills tunnel. I wouldn't want to walk from my hotel to a convention in a gray cold tunnel, simply not inviting at all.

Bids sought on walkway

and here's another about the underground convention center parking deck, its also under review...

Raleigh Leaders Reconsider Convention Center Parking Garage

• 3 months later...

This really is great news - and just underscores the fact that downtown Raleigh really really needs more hotel rooms! This is good for the 32 story Reynolds tower, I think, since some of it will be a hotel. Also bodes well for Site 4.

One thing I've wondered though, we have this decent sized hotel development company right here in Raleigh, Winston, and they have no presence in DTRaleigh. What gives? I know they said the economics weren't right for the Convention Center hotel for them, but this is three years later. I would say things are on the upswing.

At this point, I think it is a case of being too close to the situation. Don't all of us put Duke, UNC, and NCSU going too far or not far enough in the NCAA brackets? It kinda works both ways. I've seen NCSU tank so badly lately that I put no stock in them for the tournament.

I think Bob Winston has watched downtown flounder all of his life and only sees it as a place to go to church. He also is NOT a ground-breaking risk taker. He's always joined the right fraternity, lived in the right neighborhood, driven the right car, joined the right country club, worn the right clothes, etc. IE cookie cutter cookie cutter. Is his brother's restaurant, Winston's, any different? Hatem, on the other hand, is probably overzealous, if anything.

The Winston family is extremely nice, but it is not a particularly dynamic, groundbreaking group of children. They merely manage the hard-earned family money carefully. (Bob's father founded The Angus Barn with Thad Eure and Darryl's with Darryl Davis and Thad Eure).

Once they see some success downtown, count on them doing things downtown. But that's OK, there's plenty of room on the bus, Bob!

that's funny... you seemed to really sum things up pretty well regarding the Winstons. they will jump on the bandwagon once things are hopping i guess. it is strange to me that there are not more people willing to risk some investment in downtown. i know if i had a big chunk of change i would be getting in on the game myself.

I think Bob Winston has watched downtown flounder all of his life and only sees it as a place to go to church. He also is NOT a ground-breaking risk taker. He's always joined the right fraternity, lived in the right neighborhood, driven the right car, joined the right country club, worn the right clothes, etc. IE cookie cutter cookie cutter. Is his brother's restaurant, Winston's, any different? Hatem, on the other hand, is probably overzealous, if anything.

The Winston family is extremely nice, but it is not a particularly dynamic, groundbreaking group of children. They merely manage the hard-earned family money carefully. (Bob's father founded The Angus Barn with Thad Eure and Darryl's with Darryl Davis and Thad Eure).

LOL So True !!!!

I think Winston Hotels have taken ownership of few urban properties but they got their start with Hampton Inns during the early to mid 90's. They have move up to some "hotel-like" properties but so has everyone else.

Bob Winston was the one who told the city that no one could build what they wanted downtown and make money so he was not going to reply to the RFQ (Request for Quote). What the other more seasoned developers/hoteliers did was lower what they were going to offer. example: city says it wants 400 rooms, they offered 350). That shows experience and how to get business. Much different than buying some property on the interstate and slapping a Hampton Inn on it.

He made a lot of noise as I think he thought he had first dibs since he was a Raleigh-ite but I think the city showed poise and professionalism in going after what they wanted (well, sort of) and not playing local politics.

Winston has a good business but I do believe Winston Hotels were in the right place at the right time with the right amount of money to get started. It is something to be said about that because the Winston family appears to be real hard workers and in that right place at the right time many times in the past. Good instincts.

I do think urban development takes a little more risk and knowledge than the 'slap them up fast and get out of town" development we have seen here in the last 15 years.

perhaps they will put a nice hotel downtown to try and showcase their business

who knows, if i had money i would

I think Winston hotels biggest issue is they are a public company.....and you must do right for your shareholders. So if putting motels on the interstate is a better deal than building a statement/whowcase in your home city, then the choice is to do what makes more money. Wall Street does not care about "statements" or "showcases."

In fact, you can be crucified for making statements/showcases. I think that is what got Winston so tied up in a knot when the Civic Center Hotel project requirements were announced. He knew his hands were tied and it meant taking a big risk that his shareholders and marketplace would not swallow.

Yesterday I was on top of the parking deck across from the Sheraton checking out the construction of the new convention center. I noticed they are building a bridge for Mcdowell st. to go over Cabarrus St. Yet it appears to be off-center, very much skewed to the left. Are they going to re-align Mcdowell St. that much? If so, what for? And anyway, why the bridge?

that bridge you saw for McDowell st. is the tunnell for trucks that will bring in the convention supplies to the loading docks underground. since the convention hall is underground, they also placed the loading docks underneath what is now Cabarrus st. to supply the conventions. if you look at some of the color renderings, you'll notice in the lawn across McDowell st. is a curved road, that road leads to the tunnell. hopefully that won't interfere with any future expansions.

they are currently working on the west side of McDowell's bridge. Once they finish what you saw, the road will be shifted back to its original alignment except for 1 lane. Then they will complete the other half of the bridge and everything will be good to go for the completion of the excavation for the Convention Center.

• 1 month later...

The current pictures of the site show them putting in the foundation. They're making good time with it.

The building will cover 2 blocks, and run under 2 streets. It should have more than three times the room the previous convention center had, with three wings each having two floors and a ballroom.

I hope it's large enough to host infocomm. I think large tech conventions like that are what they're aiming for ultimately.

Archived