Raleigh Convention Center

Justin6882

As others have said, the Salisbury Street bridge between Cabarrus and South street is *done*, but it won't be open to the public for a while. I hope they don't keep it closed to make parking deck and Marriott construction easier. They might have a party for the new Convention Center opening, but not a block of Salisbury street. It was never the main street of the city or a pedestrian mall erected to combat/speed up suburban flight.

The Cabarrus Street bridge, from Salisbury to Gale Street, is now under construction. It will be a while before being complete, but it has some supports in place now. It looks like the "access road" to the convention center could reach the basement of the Marriott as well, but it is too early to tell.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww, I thought it would be a little taller.

but thats okay, its just that driving on the east side of downtown i cant see much of the construction going on and if it was higher up i could

The CC would be taller if it weren't for the city agreeing to have the CC half underground. This way the structure won't be as large/tall and of course it's supposed to save the city money? :)

The CC would be taller if it weren't for the city agreeing to have the CC half underground. This way the structure won't be as large/tall and of course it's supposed to save the city money? :)

The options for building this, or just about any 'larger' convention center is below ground or raised above street level. There needs to be a large space a street level block simply won't have enough. With these options, the below ground is much less expensive, plus it allows for the future expansion plans.

I like the fact that most is undergound, it keeps a huge windowless and for the most part doorless building from taking up anymore of the city's streetscape and skyline than necessary. From the drawings and vizualizations on their web site, it looks like an impressive building. I think it's a fine addition to Raleigh.

From the RCC webcam, it appears that construction has been started on the Marriot. Can anyone confirm this? It was my understanding that a large underground parking deck would be built on or near this site. Are they working on the deck now, the Marriot or something else? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

the article says that most of the structural framework is done?? really??? i may be missing something here but has anyone looked at the renderings for the CC and gone out and looked at the construction site or seen it on the online webcam?? that doesnt sound right to me. i'm not an expert but looks like more steel still has to go up. anyway, i'm not hating, just rambling. i think the CC contruction is on a good pace.

last night on wral news they mentioned that the CC hit the 25% completion mark and that they had gone 500,000 hours without an injury or something. it thought that is what they were celebrating.

by the way, if you go to the HD webcam, pull up the archives at about 1 or 1:30, you can see them all sitting outisde eating. i love that thing :D

The outside looked pretty complete. There are no walls, but the support steel has the angled front on Salisbury Street and the highish ceiling on the McDowell side.

I think it is closer to 20 than 25% done, but a lot of work can happen at the same time in the later stages.

The number of bookings is promising, but I hope the hotel rooms, etc. necessary to support it are ready too.

I'm not waiting for the new CC to open to swarm F Street and the rest of downtown, but that's just me.

I heard at one point they were going to tear down the building that sits on the site and make it a grassy area for use as a possible future ampitheatre. The current access road that goes through that site will be paved and will serve as the major service road to the CC (via the tunnel under McDowell) street.

Anyone know how many rooms the Marriott will have? Is this enough for the convention center or are there other hotels in the vicinity?

There is a Sheraton in the vicinity and of course there will be the Lafayette adjacent to the CC. The Marriott will have 400 rooms. I believe the Lafayette will have 150 maybe. No doubt an additional needs to be built in the near future. There was also talk of renovating the Sheraton and that may include adding additional rooms.

There is also the Clarion, formerly the Holiday Inn, in the vicinity as well.

Should we also consider other hotels/motels that are relatively close to downtown, such as the Red Roof Inn on Salisbury, the Days Inn on Dawson, the Holiday Inn Brownstone, and the Velvet Cloak?

This really shows a glaring need for new hotel space in Downtown proper.

Archived