College Avenue Developments

mzweig

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that construction over there and had wondered what that is. Now the only other question I have is what is that being built just north of Walgreens up by the mall.

Believe it or not Mith, that is another bank. I know that north Fayetteville only has 1 or 2 banks... :D. It is a Metropoliatan Bank, there are a total of 4 Metro banks coming into Fayetteville right now. The 6th street branch is open, then one will be located on Wedington (I think in front of the condos that we did out there), the other location will be near the Mission/Crossover intersection.

Believe it or not Mith, that is another bank. I know that north Fayetteville only has 1 or 2 banks... :D. It is a Metropoliatan Bank, there are a total of 4 Metro banks coming into Fayetteville right now. The 6th street branch is open, then one will be located on Wedington (I think in front of the condos that we did out there), the other location will be near the Mission/Crossover intersection.

:lol: Should have known. Maybe we can eventually be renamed Bankville or something.

:lol: Should have known. Maybe we can eventually be renamed Bankville or something.

Amen to that, Mith. I have never seen so many of the Godforsaken things in any city I have ever been to! BTW, I am banking at one of the new banks, Signature Bank. Inconvenient to make deposits at their one location at Joyce and Crossover, but all ATMs anywhere are free with them as of last week, and that's pretty cool. You can go to any bank's ATM and get reimbursed for their rip-off $2 fees. :)

Amen to that, Mith. I have never seen so many of the Godforsaken things in any city I have ever been to!

I always thought a good indication of how prosperous a city was is in how many banks it has. I had no idea that banking was such a competetive market until I see a different bank on every corner.

• 2 months later...

Update on College between Lafayette and North St. Lacuna Furniture store in the old Club Matrix is nearing completion. We also had a fire last weekend just south of there in an old house that housed some sort of bead store. The place got torched on the second floor. And there is NO activity whatsoever at the Gonzales Mexican restaurant site where they had a fire a couple months ago. My guess is that the building is totalled, even though it doesn't look like it from the street.

Overall, the area looks really bad. We have a number of vacant buildings--the old Texaco at the corner of College and Lafayette, College Auto repair, and many, many more. Curry's Video looks like it is falling down (did you ever notice that it is really a huge quonset hut with a building tacked on around it??) and we have an impromptu car lot across the street from it.

Finally, the nine unit condo/office project planned for the site where a gas station is half torn down between Prospect and North on the west side of College has gone nowhere in the past year and a half. There is zero activity and a half-wrecked building.

Overall, pretty darn depressing. :(

Finally, the nine unit condo/office project planned for the site where a gas station is half torn down between Prospect and North on the west side of College has gone nowhere in the past year and a half. There is zero activity and a half-wrecked building.

Isn't that the Timberstone Condo Development? My understanding of that development was that it was cancelled quite a while back ago.

Isn't that the Timberstone Condo Development? My understanding of that development was that it was cancelled quite a while back ago.

No, Timberstone is completely dead as far as I know. Matt Z is talking about the old station on the corner of Cleburn and College. It is just south of North street on the west side of the road.

Update on College between Lafayette and North St. Lacuna Furniture store in the old Club Matrix is nearing completion. We also had a fire last weekend just south of there in an old house that housed some sort of bead store. The place got torched on the second floor. And there is NO activity whatsoever at the Gonzales Mexican restaurant site where they had a fire a couple months ago. My guess is that the building is totalled, even though it doesn't look like it from the street.

Insurance problems are the deal w/ the Mexican restaurant as usual. I know who owns the bead store on the corner there of Maple street but I have not talked to him about what he is going to do about it. I am not quite sure how bad the fire was. I will let you know if I hear something Matt Z.

Curry's Video looks like it is falling down (did you ever notice that it is really a huge quonset hut with a building tacked on around it??)

I was in Curry's yesterday and happened to ask who owned the building and had it been considered for upgrading. They guy behind the counter owns the video business and another guy owns the other two businesses in the building. Goff owns the building. The story was typical... the owner won't invest in the building other than to maintain it and the tenants don't get much return from investing in a structure they don't own. But at least we know it's been discussed. It really is ugly inside and out. I'm not sure fixing a few of the little things (awning, paint) would make a dent in it's rundown appearance. (But Curry's is close to home and affordable so I continue to rent Hollywood's latest and greatest from them.)

I was in Curry's yesterday and happened to ask who owned the building and had it been considered for upgrading. They guy behind the counter owns the video business and another guy owns the other two businesses in the building. Goff owns the building. The story was typical... the owner won't invest in the building other than to maintain it and the tenants don't get much return from investing in a structure they don't own. But at least we know it's been discussed. It really is ugly inside and out. I'm not sure fixing a few of the little things (awning, paint) would make a dent in it's rundown appearance. (But Curry's is close to home and affordable so I continue to rent Hollywood's latest and greatest from them.)

I hear you. You must live near me--I live on Prospect very near College. Stone house with circle drive.

Overall, the area looks really bad. We have a number of vacant buildings--the old Texaco at the corner of College and Lafayette, College Auto repair, and many, many more. Curry's Video looks like it is falling down (did you ever notice that it is really a huge quonset hut with a building tacked on around it??) and we have an impromptu car lot across the street from it.

Yeah and it's a real shame. That certainly shouldn't be a depressed area. It's not far from Dickson St. It's not too far from downtown either, although I guess until the Renaissance is completed it's not in the greatest of shape in some areas as well. It still seems to me that sections of College Ave from Lafayette south to the downtown area have a lot of potential. I keep hoping someone will realize this and eventually jump on board and start trying to do a little more with this area.

Yeah and it's a real shame. That certainly shouldn't be a depressed area. It's not far from Dickson St. It's not too far from downtown either, although I guess until the Renaissance is completed it's not in the greatest of shape in some areas as well. It still seems to me that sections of College Ave from Lafayette south to the downtown area have a lot of potential. I keep hoping someone will realize this and eventually jump on board and start trying to do a little more with this area.

The Growth Group has a sign on the property north of the new location of Lacuna Furniture, on the northeast corner of College & Rebecca behind the *fortune teller

Ask Ruskin (Ward Davis) he may have some info on the project since he works with Growth Group. I know that they have mixed use and condos planned for the old FDC and Trenton street area. But Ruskin may have the edge on this project.

I understand they own the whole block, including Baba's, the old clinic, and even the apartments that face Wilson Park, and that they have no finalized plans whatsoever for what they will eventually do with it. Whatever it is, I am in favor of it (and I am an abutter)!

I understand they own the whole block, including Baba's, the old clinic, and even the apartments that face Wilson Park, and that they have no finalized plans whatsoever for what they will eventually do with it. Whatever it is, I am in favor of it (and I am an abutter)!

Your close. They don't own Baba Boudan's yet because I manage that property and know where the rent goes. They do own the old FDC as well as a number of older houses and maybe that old motel behind Baba's. I don't know who owns the old Nick's station just north of there but I would guess that GG has it too.

Your close. They don't own Baba Boudan's yet because I manage that property and know where the rent goes. They do own the old FDC as well as a number of older houses and maybe that old motel behind Baba's. I don't know who owns the old Nick's station just north of there but I would guess that GG has it too.

They definitely own the apartments that front Wilson Park, that I can tell you. They used to have part ownership of that station but traded out some equity from what I understand on these other parcels.

Who owns Baba's then? I thought the folks there told me once that they were going to be displaced by this development. Growth Group must have an option on it, then.....?

They definitely own the apartments that front Wilson Park, that I can tell you. They used to have part ownership of that station but traded out some equity from what I understand on these other parcels.

Who owns Baba's then? I thought the folks there told me once that they were going to be displaced by this development. Growth Group must have an option on it, then.....?

There is work in progress right now. I am not 100% sure what is going to happen but hopefully it will end up with them owning it. There are big plans for that area of town. I hope everything works out in the end.

There is work in progress right now. I am not 100% sure what is going to happen but hopefully it will end up with them owning it. There are big plans for that area of town. I hope everything works out in the end.

Me. too. It's ugly and that motel doesn't draw the best crowd. I sure hope Baba's can stick around, tho. Best coffee in the world. Great folks, too.

I was talking to Penguin Ed the other day. He owns 3.5 acres of property on the south end of College right where it turns into School street (Archibald Yell is what we call this area) and he told me he is thinking of planting about 500 crepe myrtles (sp?) to make this "The Crepe Myrtle District." That would be cool!

M

I was talking to Penguin Ed the other day. He owns 3.5 acres of property on the south end of College right where it turns into School street (Archibald Yell is what we call this area) and he told me he is thinking of planting about 500 crepe myrtles (sp?) to make this "The Crepe Myrtle District." That would be cool!

M

Wouldn't that be the oddly shaped block that Sassafras is/was? Some sort of downtown park could be an interesting idea. But it also won't be too far away from the future Renaissance. I'm hoping the Renaissance is going to really spark that area and it becomes a rather active spot. Could also be a good spot for some sort of future development as well.

Wouldn't that be the oddly shaped block that Sassafras is/was? Some sort of downtown park could be an interesting idea. But it also won't be too far away from the future Renaissance. I'm hoping the Renaissance is going to really spark that area and it becomes a rather active spot. Could also be a good spot for some sort of future development as well.

I belive it is the area there next to B&B BBQ (Penguin Eds). He had mentioned to us that he was thinking of building on to the old restaurant which is a pretty good idea considering there is a waiting line everyday for seats at lunch.

M

Penguin Ed was the only food vendor at the Fayetteville Renaissance Festival. Good BBQ. The "Crepe Myrtle District" idea sounds very cool.

Archived