College Avenue Developments

mzweig

There might be something starting again. It is kind of undercontract again but who knows if it will go through. It just was not cost effective last time so that did not work. Hopefully this one does. I know that you are looking forward to getting something going since you are in the neighborhood. You should switch from redoing houses and try some commercial... :thumbsup:

It just aint my thing! I have thought about houses since I was just a little kid. Commercial buildings don't hold the same fascination for me. But I sure hope someone does something with this particular eyesore! I hope the deal goes down, unless it is an adult-oriented business, tatoo parlor, or pawn shop!

M

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old Lin's/Gonzales Mexican location that burned is under construction this week! Yea!!! I dunno what is going to go in there but it is great to see this eyesore on College being rebuilt!

M

Good to hear. With the way College Ave has been it's nice to hear there's been some recent activity.

The old Lin's/Gonzales Mexican location that burned is under construction this week! Yea!!! I dunno what is going to go in there but it is great to see this eyesore on College being rebuilt!

M

That location seems cursed since Lin's closed. I'd like to see something stick around for a while, preferably without needing to use a bubble machine to attract attention. Lame.

That location seems cursed since Lin's closed. I'd like to see something stick around for a while, preferably without needing to use a bubble machine to attract attention. Lame.

Funny! Nor any purple neon, I might add!

M

• 1 month later...

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I'd put this out there.

Given the number of bars that already exist on North College, between North and Township, I think it would be cool if the landowners could get together and form some kind of Midtown District, similar to what was done on Dickson.

This could start as just a way of marketing the area's night spots, but it could morph to include streetscape improvments, building standards, etc.

I really could see this part of College Ave coming into its own with a little care and feeding from the city. If more attention were paid to the pedestrian atmosphere, or even to traffic calming, there's no reason why this area couldn't gain its own identity in a few years.

Just a random thought..

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I'd put this out there.

Given the number of bars that already exist on North College, between North and Township, I think it would be cool if the landowners could get together and form some kind of Midtown District, similar to what was done on Dickson.

This could start as just a way of marketing the area's night spots, but it could morph to include streetscape improvments, building standards, etc.

I really could see this part of College Ave coming into its own with a little care and feeding from the city. If more attention were paid to the pedestrian atmosphere, or even to traffic calming, there's no reason why this area couldn't gain its own identity in a few years.

Just a random thought..

Yeah I agree with you. I'd really like to see more going on on the section of College Ave near Dickson. I'm a bit worried though with the current market though it might be a while before anyone might really make an effort though. I don't want to 'water things down' too much and have things spread out too much. But I would like to see something like this going on along that section of College and I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of something like this happen around the Mill District as well. As long as it didn't take away from Dickson St too much.

Yeah I agree with you. I'd really like to see more going on on the section of College Ave near Dickson. I'm a bit worried though with the current market though it might be a while before anyone might really make an effort though. I don't want to 'water things down' too much and have things spread out too much. But I would like to see something like this going on along that section of College and I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of something like this happen around the Mill District as well. As long as it didn't take away from Dickson St too much.

A MidTown District could provide an alternative to Dickson that is going to be needed.

Gypsy moving out to get away from the high rents is a good example of the need.

There are a number of drinking establishments in that general area already, but there is almost NO pedestrian environment.

All I am thinking is that the city could facilitate another "attraction" area of the city, that might not be as upscale or completely college oriented, take your pick.

They could do this by working on the pedestrian environment first. I believe sidewalks would actually get used on that section of College if they existed, as opposed to other areas where the traffic and nightlife don't already intersect.

The whole of a district would be a greater draw than the sum of its current fragmented parts. It might be looked at as another way to draw BenCo folks south to spend more of their new money.

A MidTown District could provide an alternative to Dickson that is going to be needed.

Gypsy moving out to get away from the high rents is a good example of the need.

There are a number of drinking establishments in that general area already, but there is almost NO pedestrian environment.

All I am thinking is that the city could facilitate another "attraction" area of the city, that might not be as upscale or completely college oriented, take your pick.

They could do this by working on the pedestrian environment first. I believe sidewalks would actually get used on that section of College if they existed, as opposed to other areas where the traffic and nightlife don't already intersect.

The whole of a district would be a greater draw than the sum of its current fragmented parts. It might be looked at as another way to draw BenCo folks south to spend more of their new money.

Yeah I do agree that another area with cheaper rent would be helpful to a number of people. I know that's a problem for the businesses on Dickson. I also agree about needing an area that's more based around pedestrians. I could see that possibly being a problem with the location along College Ave.

Interesting points. The changes mentioned would do wonders for College (any portion of it, really), but I think creating a walkable environment will be difficult, especially around the Dart Room. With the new development across the street potentially bringing some fresh life to that stretch, it might look better soon, but there aren't any stop lights near by to provide a good crosswalk connection, and one of the things that makes Dickson such a good area is the relativley slow traffic flow and numerous crossing spots. Any ideas on what the city could do to make College (let's say that stretch particularly) more pedestrian friendly other than just improved sidewalks? I'm actually quite curous, as I've thought about it and not come up with many good solutions considering the width of that highway, the high traffic flow, and the large amounts of space involved that aren't going to be pedestrian friendly without increased density.

Interesting points. The changes mentioned would do wonders for College (any portion of it, really), but I think creating a walkable environment will be difficult, especially around the Dart Room. With the new development across the street potentially bringing some fresh life to that stretch, it might look better soon, but there aren't any stop lights near by to provide a good crosswalk connection, and one of the things that makes Dickson such a good area is the relatively slow traffic flow and numerous crossing spots. Any ideas on what the city could do to make College (let's say that stretch particularly) more pedestrian friendly other than just improved sidewalks? I'm actually quite curious, as I've thought about it and not come up with many good solutions considering the width of that highway, the high traffic flow, and the large amounts of space involved that aren't going to be pedestrian friendly without increased density.

The Dover Kohl group kept mentioning making it a boulevard. That way it's broken down into smaller areas that's more easily walkable, as in trying to cross the street by foot. I think they wanted a couple of lanes in the center for traffic just going through and then a lane on each side of it for slower traffic that would be accessing local business locations. It's an interesting idea on paper but I wonder how feasible it would be. For one I would seriously imagine a big uproar from most people. It would be a big change for people to get used to. I also wonder what kind of costs would be involved in something like that. I think the biggest thing is just to take things in steps. I don't think we can try to fix all of College Ave overnight. Focus on some key areas and then take it from there.

The Dover Kohl group kept mentioning making it a boulevard. That way it's broken down into smaller areas that's more easily walkable, as in trying to cross the street by foot. I think they wanted a couple of lanes in the center for traffic just going through and then a lane on each side of it for slower traffic that would be accessing local business locations. It's an interesting idea on paper but I wonder how feasible it would be. For one I would seriously imagine a big uproar from most people. It would be a big change for people to get used to. I also wonder what kind of costs would be involved in something like that. I think the biggest thing is just to take things in steps. I don't think we can try to fix all of College Ave overnight. Focus on some key areas and then take it from there.

I think if the city could manage to put some tree lined medians in it along stretches where it now has turn lanes that it would calm traffic, and make it easier to cross on foot. I think the most important thing at this point would be to have some kind of sidewalk system along the sides. There is almost none at this point.

I think if the city could manage to put some tree lined medians in it along stretches where it now has turn lanes that it would calm traffic, and make it easier to cross on foot. I think the most important thing at this point would be to have some kind of sidewalk system along the sides. There is almost none at this point.

Yeah sidewalks would be a big help. Even though the city has been putting in sidewalks around the city in areas that were missing them, it's going to take forever at this rate. But it's obvious that at the moment College is built around the vehicle and not for pedestrians. Last year Mayor Coody specifically mentioned trying to improve College Ave. But since the speech I haven't seen much going on. I wonder if the dip in sales tax basically killed that idea. I wonder if much is going to happen before Coody leaves office. Who knows what the next mayor will think about doing something with College Ave.

Yeah sidewalks would be a big help. Even though the city has been putting in sidewalks around the city in areas that were missing them, it's going to take forever at this rate. But it's obvious that at the moment College is built around the vehicle and not for pedestrians. Last year Mayor Coody specifically mentioned trying to improve College Ave. But since the speech I haven't seen much going on. I wonder if the dip in sales tax basically killed that idea. I wonder if much is going to happen before Coody leaves office. Who knows what the next mayor will think about doing something with College Ave.

I remember reading an article where Mayor Coody wanted to make sure that the square and College improvements would be done before he left office. I was under the impression that the designs and money were in place and construction would start this summer on College. He was afraid the next administration might not give those projects the priority that he has. It's just the section of College from Maple to Archibald Yell though. I don't know if a lot could be done on the stretch from Evelyn Hills to the mall area. There are so many curb cuts and businesses that it would be hard to put in medians. The amount of traffic would be hard to manage with more lights, etc without major gridlock. The planning for improvements should have been done decades ago but who knew how the area would grow?

I remember reading an article where Mayor Coody wanted to make sure that the square and College improvements would be done before he left office. I was under the impression that the designs and money were in place and construction would start this summer on College. He was afraid the next administration might not give those projects the priority that he has. It's just the section of College from Maple to Archibald Yell though. I don't know if a lot could be done on the stretch from Evelyn Hills to the mall area. There are so many curb cuts and businesses that it would be hard to put in medians. The amount of traffic would be hard to manage with more lights, etc without major gridlock. The planning for improvements should have been done decades ago but who knew how the area would grow?

Thanks for the info, guess I had missed that. You're certainly right on all the curb cuts. That's why I'd like to see some of those locations totally rebuilt at some point in the future. I'd prefer something more than just a strip mall to replace some of those businesses. But still even with a strip mall you probably just have one entrance/exit. Not an entrance/exit for every single business located along that stretch. If this was done by the Dover Kohl Group. They'd have limited curb cuts, put in a sidewalk and some plants and move the building up near the street level. Put the parking in the back away from the street.

• 5 months later...

I drive this road every day. The improvements downtown I think are going to have a big impact.

It looks as if they are narrowing down College a bit with this sidewalk project. Now the section of College south of about where Curry's is and Baba Boudans is narrower than that section of College to the north. This has not been improved yet, but its noticeable here where the transition takes place from wider to narrower.

It seems like there is some play in the required width for a 4-lane road with turn lane. I believe the city is doing the minimum. It sure looks like it.

This is going to have the effect of calming traffic through this section. It already does. I would like to see all of College Avenue redone like this.

In other news there is a little store called MAUDE located between Lou Lou's and Lacuna. That whole area has a lot of potential.

I drive this road every day. The improvements downtown I think are going to have a big impact.

It looks as if they are narrowing down College a bit with this sidewalk project. Now the section of College south of about where Curry's is and Baba Boudans is narrower than that section of College to the north. This has not been improved yet, but its noticeable here where the transition takes place from wider to narrower.

It seems like there is some play in the required width for a 4-lane road with turn lane. I believe the city is doing the minimum. It sure looks like it.

This is going to have the effect of calming traffic through this section. It already does. I would like to see all of College Avenue redone like this.

In other news there is a little store called MAUDE located between Lou Lou's and Lacuna. That whole area has a lot of potential.

Maude just moved from a smaller location at about the 2600 block of north College. I have to say that the new owner of the old Lin's restaurant building has really made it look nice.

I noticed today that the Suzuki dealership at Township and College across from Walgreens has shut down and moved.

Up the road past Walgreens there is a new spa of some kind. Its a good reuse of an existing building. They did a lot of work on it and it looks better.

Yeah, I noticed the dealership being vacant now also. That is a desirable location so it will probably be occupied again soon.

That other one was the old Big 8 Tire building- quite a switch in use isn't it? It's great that it has been recycled so quickly. I 'd like to see more of that along College. It seems there are a lot of vacant properties along the street. The old miniature golf course, Dart Room and Long John Silver properties have been for sale forever.

Before I went on vacation I drove a section of College Ave and noticed some of the changes. From what I could see it looked like they were putting in sidewalks in a style similar to what they put in on Dickson St. I don't think they've started it yet but I'm assuming they'll also be putting in some vegetation as well. I wouldn't mind seeing some bigger changes, but hey right now that's still a very nice improvement.

Yeah, I noticed the dealership being vacant now also. That is a desirable location so it will probably be occupied again soon.

That other one was the old Big 8 Tire building- quite a switch in use isn't it? It's great that it has been recycled so quickly. I 'd like to see more of that along College. It seems there are a lot of vacant properties along the street. The old miniature golf course, Dart Room and Long John Silver properties have been for sale forever.

Yeah I noticed the former Big 8 Tire the day before I went on vacation. It is nice to see some locations being reused quickly. But like you said, some locations just seem to be sitting there a very long time.

J.R. Ball bought the building that used to house the former "Extreme Novelties" store on 71/S. School and is renovating it and turning it into a clothing store for either his wife or daughter. I am quite glad as my daughter owns the house behind it and I own the one across the street from her (currently for sale--http://www.churchandsouth.com).

Mark

J.R. Ball bought the building that used to house the former "Extreme Novelties" store on 71/S. School and is renovating it and turning it into a clothing store for either his wife or daughter. I am quite glad as my daughter owns the house behind it and I own the one across the street from her (currently for sale--http://www.churchandsouth.com).

Mark

Hey Mark, Congratulations on your award last night. Keep up the great work.

Hey Mark, Congratulations on your award last night. Keep up the great work.

Hey, thanks, Shaddo. Wish I could've been there to receive it...but am in Chicago at The Zweig Letter Hot Firm Conference. Chicago sure is a nice city!

I just wish the improvements on College would go down as far as South Street toward the south and North Street toward the North. This is really going to make a difference in Fayetteville!

M

The city installed the first few trees in the College Avenue improvements this week. Its going to look so awesome in a couple of years when those trees start to mature.

In other news, Trees and Trends in Fiesta Square has closing signs on their exterior. With them and Circuit City and a few restaurants closing, it appears as if the recession is making its way to Fayetteville.

Business is booming at Aldi, on the other hand. :whistling:

The former Dart Room re-opened as the Gypsy on College this past weekend. Cheers is a bar that opened where that Mexican place was at Sycamore. There seems to be a lot of entertainment options popping up on College lately.

The city installed the first few trees in the College Avenue improvements this week. Its going to look so awesome in a couple of years when those trees start to mature.

In other news, Trees and Trends in Fiesta Square has closing signs on their exterior. With them and Circuit City and a few restaurants closing, it appears as if the recession is making its way to Fayetteville.

Business is booming at Aldi, on the other hand. :whistling:

The former Dart Room re-opened as the Gypsy on College this past weekend. Cheers is a bar that opened where that Mexican place was at Sycamore. There seems to be a lot of entertainment options popping up on College lately.

Thanks for the updates. Even when things were going well with the economy there were still places closing. Things were going great here when Service Merchandise closed.

Archived