College Avenue Developments

mzweig

The renovated section of College Ave looks fantastic. It will look even better as time goes on and the trees mature. I really wish they'd extend this treatment to Sixth Street and to North Street. I expect some redevelopment in the renovated section, because its just so much more pedestrian oriented than before.

Not ON College but the big renovation of the facade of Ozark Natural Foods is underway. I saw the renderings in the store. They are building a cart area and new entrance, along with remaking their patio seating for the dining area. The exterior is going to be changed up quite a bit and there will be a cool new look. It will look more like its own building and no longer like the rest of Evelyn Hills.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The renovated section of College Ave looks fantastic. It will look even better as time goes on and the trees mature. I really wish they'd extend this treatment to Sixth Street and to North Street. I expect some redevelopment in the renovated section, because its just so much more pedestrian oriented than before.

Not ON College but the big renovation of the facade of Ozark Natural Foods is underway. I saw the renderings in the store. They are building a cart area and new entrance, along with remaking their patio seating for the dining area. The exterior is going to be changed up quite a bit and there will be a cool new look. It will look more like its own building and no longer like the rest of Evelyn Hills.

I've heard about ONF doing some renovation but guess I didn't realize it was something that big. Guess I haven't shopped there very recently.

• 2 months later...

The NWA Business Journal reports that the former Bank of America branch at Evelyn Hills shopping center is becoming the Vault on College liquor store. It is being opened by the owners of the Mermaids restaurant just down College from the site. It's good to see another of the vacant buildings in that area being reused.

The NWA Business Journal reports that the former Bank of America branch at Evelyn Hills shopping center is becoming the Vault on College liquor store. It is being opened by the owners of the Mermaids restaurant just down College from the site. It's good to see another of the vacant buildings in that area being reused.

True. Anyway happen to know if they bought out someone's liquor license. There's a new one up for grabs right now for Washington County. But I'm pretty sure there's no way it's been decided this early. So I'm guessing they must have bought a former one.

True. Anyway happen to know if they bought out someone's liquor license. There's a new one up for grabs right now for Washington County. But I'm pretty sure there's no way it's been decided this early. So I'm guessing they must have bought a former one.

I saw a list of the people who had applied for that license and The Vault on College was on there a few weeks ago. So I am guessing that they got the license and no one else? I'm not exactly sure how that works. I know it is based on population or something...

I saw a list of the people who had applied for that license and The Vault on College was on there a few weeks ago. So I am guessing that they got the license and no one else? I'm not exactly sure how that works. I know it is based on population or something...

I wish I had saved that newspaper that had the list. But I was thinking the list I saw was a bit more recent than a few weeks ago. I know overall the total number is a percentage of the population. But I have no idea how they decide as in this case which of the nine people who applied for the license. Can a particular person show they'd operate a better liquor store than another person? I don;t know if they even have that type of criteria when people apply for a license like that. Did this person somehow show they would be better than say Macadoodles which also had applied for the liquor license? Anyway overall I don't know if it makes a big difference. Just nice to see another location on College Ave being filled.

I wish I had saved that newspaper that had the list. But I was thinking the list I saw was a bit more recent than a few weeks ago. I know overall the total number is a percentage of the population. But I have no idea how they decide as in this case which of the nine people who applied for the license. Can a particular person show they'd operate a better liquor store than another person? I don;t know if they even have that type of criteria when people apply for a license like that. Did this person somehow show they would be better than say Macadoodles which also had applied for the liquor license? Anyway overall I don't know if it makes a big difference. Just nice to see another location on College Ave being filled.

I hate to disagree with y'all but I am not excited about another liquor store on college. We already have at least five. That's enough. I don't need more liguor stores, tattoo parlors, used car lots, or fast food chains, personally. I would like to see some better quality businessES moving in, not worse. I don't see a bank leaving and a liquor store going in as progress. And yes, I am a drinker!

That's my two cents at least.....

M

I hate to disagree with y'all but I am not excited about another liquor store on college. We already have at least five. That's enough. I don't need more liquor stores, tattoo parlors, used car lots, or fast food chains, personally. I would like to see some better quality businesses moving in, not worse. I don't see a bank leaving and a liquor store going in as progress. And yes, I am a drinker!

That's my two cents at least.....

M

I see what you're saying. But when some of these locations on College Ave stay empty it gets to sorta hard to be picky about what opens. The old Long John Silvers has been sitting there empty for quite a few years. While I may not be crazy about the idea of certain businesses opening up there it's hard to complain for it to stay empty while it slowly falls apart. If we can get more of these empty spots filled eventually then I may worry more about what type of businesses are located there. Liquor stores don't really bother me too much. I admit though I wouldn't want one popping up all over the place. I guess maybe I'm just hoping this will be a nice liquor store that will provide more variety and options.

I see what you're saying. But when some of these locations on College Ave stay empty it gets to sorta hard to be picky about what opens. The old Long John Silvers has been sitting there empty for quite a few years. While I may not be crazy about the idea of certain businesses opening up there it's hard to complain for it to stay empty while it slowly falls apart. If we can get more of these empty spots filled eventually then I may worry more about what type of businesses are located there. Liquor stores don't really bother me too much. I admit though I wouldn't want one popping up all over the place. I guess maybe I'm just hoping this will be a nice liquor store that will provide more variety and options.

Yes, considering who the owners of this store will be I think it will be an upscale store with a great selection of wines and fine spirits. I guess for me it's shows momentum to revive that area. The ONF build on looks great- that should help also. The Veterans Hospital expansion seems to have hit a stall- I haven't seen any acticity there in several months.

I've been thinking. Has anyone else noticed that every single liquor store from south Springdale to MLK is on the east side of College/Thompson?

There's like a dozen of them. All on one side of the street.

I think if someone would put one on the west side of College it would do well, simply because I wish I didn't have to make a left turn across College.

I've been thinking. Has anyone else noticed that every single liquor store from south Springdale to MLK is on the east side of College/Thompson?

There's like a dozen of them. All on one side of the street.

I think if someone would put one on the west side of College it would do well, simply because I wish I didn't have to make a left turn across College.

I never thought about that. :lol: Guess it's been a number of years since there was one on the west side. I'm trying to remember the name, Blue Moon or something like that. It was just north of Fiesta Square. But Sam's bought that liquor license out so they could eventually put a liquor store at the new Fayetteville location. But they bought it well in advance. So it has been quite a while since there's been one on the west side. I suppose if you live on the north side of town it could be frustrating. Considering I don't it's been convenient to simply be able to head north on College and make a right hand turn.

Yes, considering who the owners of this store will be I think it will be an upscale store with a great selection of wines and fine spirits. I guess for me it's shows momentum to revive that area. The ONF build on looks great- that should help also. The Veterans Hospital expansion seems to have hit a stall- I haven't seen any acticity there in several months.

Well, maybe I'm wrong. But I will say I have been able to find any kind of wine I wanted at Liquor World and Liquor Mart, both within a mile or so of the old Bank. I guess filled is better than empty. It just seems to me that we should be more proactive seeking certain types of tenants for vacant spaces. Some cities and subgroups within cities actively recruit new businesses that meet certain criteria to certain specific locations. Maybe College is just such a mess we are lucky to fill any open space...?

M

Well, maybe I'm wrong. But I will say I have been able to find any kind of wine I wanted at Liquor World and Liquor Mart, both within a mile or so of the old Bank. I guess filled is better than empty. It just seems to me that we should be more proactive seeking certain types of tenants for vacant spaces. Some cities and subgroups within cities actively recruit new businesses that meet certain criteria to certain specific locations. Maybe College is just such a mess we are lucky to fill any open space...?

M

There was some talk about zoning districts in Fayetteville with the aim of attracting certain types of business and other uses to specific areas. Sounds like a good idea to me, much better than hoping that the type of development you want will happen. Haven't heard much about it lately but as the economy picks back up and development does also it is certainly worth looking at. I don't know if College would be a good place for that or not seeing that is already built up.

Midtown should be encouraged as retail/restaurant development, IMO. There are many properties that could be reworked into large enough buildings to support bigger retail and restaurant outlets than could ever go into Dickson or the Square.

I'm just happy there is something going into another empty space.

I really would like to see some of these used car lots transitioned into higher uses.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this has been discussed on here, but whats going on with the large building on College north of Maple Ave? Im guessing it use to be some type of large store because its a very large building.

Guess I haven't driven by there in a while. I'm guessing you're referring to what used to be the locations of a number of clubs and Curry's video. I'm not sure what was there originally. I think when I moved to NWA it was occupied by a number of clubs. But as I said earlier I haven't driven on that section of College Ave in a while to see if there's some remodeling being done. The only other thing I can think of is the remodeling of Ozark Natural Foods but that's a bit away from Maple St.

Guess I haven't driven by there in a while. I'm guessing you're referring to what used to be the locations of a number of clubs and Curry's video. I'm not sure what was there originally. I think when I moved to NWA it was occupied by a number of clubs. But as I said earlier I haven't driven on that section of College Ave in a while to see if there's some remodeling being done. The only other thing I can think of is the remodeling of Ozark Natural Foods but that's a bit away from Maple St.

Curry's is being remodeled into a skating rink called Starlight Skatium.

I remeber when that building was the club River City. It was a happening place and along with Doc Murdock's, which was in the building just up College where the interior decor place is now, caused a lot of friction with the historic district neighbors.

It's always exciting when someone strips the skins and add-ons off old buildings like that. Who knew that building had that curved facade like that? really cool to see.

I remeber when that building was the club River City. It was a happening place and along with Doc Murdock's, which was in the building just up College where the interior decor place is now, caused a lot of friction with the historic district neighbors.

It's always exciting when someone strips the skins and add-ons off old buildings like that. Who knew that building had that curved facade like that? really cool to see.

It Is a vast improvement! I wish they woulda brought back all of the windows it had at one time but it looks so much better it's amazing. Roller derby....a long block from my house....will be weird!

M

Anybody know what that building was when it was originally built? Surely it didn't start out as a club.

I think there used to be a grocery store chain who's buildings had a front like that. If I remember right it was caled Gibson's. Don't know if that's what it was though. We need an 'On College' book like the 'On Dickson' book. I know someone in Fayetteville knows what it was- it's just finding that person.

I think there used to be a grocery store chain who's buildings had a front like that. If I remember right it was caled Gibson's. Don't know if that's what it was though. We need an 'On College' book like the 'On Dickson' book. I know someone in Fayetteville knows what it was- it's just finding that person.

Actually the guy who came out with the Dickson St book is making a College Ave book now. But might be a while before it's actually out.

Actually the guy who came out with the Dickson St book is making a College Ave book now. But might be a while before it's actually out.

I need to contact that guy. My old house at 59 E. Prospect was on a two acre site facing College when it was built. I have some interesting history. It was built by A.L. Trent, founder of Trent's Pond (later became Wilson Park).

M

Archived