College Avenue Developments

mzweig

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midtown functions as a neighborhood in the same ways that Hillcrest does. People shop at the same grocery store, go to the same coffee shop, and go to the same restaurants and gyms and even churches.

What I find "patently absurd" is that you seem to think that the fairly generic term "midtown" requires an area more "worthy" of the moniker for some reason.

It simply denotes a location--the middle part of town. Its not pretentious. I say it now, and I know I'm not the first. My neighbor threw it out there the other day in a conversation, and he's lived around "midtown" longer than I have.

Dickson is downtown. So is the Square. The Mill District (yep) is not. And Walker Park is its own neighbhorhood, too.

Midtown, midtown, midtown, midtown, midtown.

I may even adopt saying "Uptown" if Steve Clark repeats it often enough.

Midtown functions as a neighborhood in the same ways that Hillcrest does. People shop at the same grocery store, go to the same coffee shop, and go to the same restaurants and gyms and even churches.

No offense, but this makes me laugh.

Comparing an ugly four lane that is bordered by fast food restaurants, and cross sectioned with streets that lead to strip malls and random housing developments to a place like Hillcrest? What sense does that make? Hillcrest has its own style of architecture, its residents typically lead a similar lifestyle, and heck, it's even known for its liberal political leanings.

What I find "patently absurd" is that you seem to think that the fairly generic term "midtown" requires an area more "worthy" of the moniker for some reason.

It simply denotes a location--the middle part of town. Its not pretentious. I say it now, and I know I'm not the first. My neighbor threw it out there the other day in a conversation, and he's lived around "midtown" longer than I have.

Dickson is downtown. So is the Square. The Mill District (yep) is not. And Walker Park is its own neighbhorhood, too.

Midtown, midtown, midtown, midtown, midtown.

I may even adopt saying "Uptown" if Steve Clark repeats it often enough.

It does require an area more "worthy," if that's the word you want to use. Fayetteville has 70,000 residents. There is no reason for big city monikers like "midtown," and to be honest, if someone from NYC, Atlanta, etc was in Fayetteville they would undoubtedly snicker at the use of such a term for a college town.

But, like I said, I digress. If you want to stick big city labels where they don't fit instead of letting a great town like Fayetteville develop it's own identity and own neighborhood designations, so be it.

I really think you're overthinking the word "midtown".

Even in tiny Oxford, Mississippi residents refer to the area of newer commercial development that is a transitional area of their city as "midtown".

Lots of towns and cities consider certain areas as "midtown". The name fits the area that I hear it used to describe in Fayetteville.

Midtown is a natural name for the area. Its not like the city came out with a campaign to name it midtown. Its just slowly happening. You know, like you profess to prefer it to happen--organically.

Now if the city had put out signs and banners and such, or announced a campaign for a midtown area, I might agree with you.

I've heard people refer to midtown as such long before there was ever a discussion about "uptown".

The fact that it makes you "cringe" or that you find it absurd says, to me, more about your own preconceptions than anything else.

The Mill District is somewhat contrived in identity, but it was becoming a distinct area of its own prior to that name coming out.

The River Market District is completely and totally a contrived entertainment district and neighborhood. The place had a name, and a corporate logo, when it was bums and warehouses and pretty renderings.

Midtown is just a name for a place. I know what it means.

As for Hillcrest, I simply said that midtown Fayetteville functions as a neighborhood. Hillcrest is a neighborhood. If you want to get technical, I suppose Hillcrest is a neighborhood for liberal-leaning, upper middle class whites.

Little Rock is much more segregated; I'll give you that.

To me the main areas of Fayetteville that are different enough to merit calling out as unique are the University (and its immediate environs), Dickson, and the square/downtown. Even though Dickson and the square are pretty close to each other they have a different enough vibe to be separate, so I don't consider Dickson to be downtown. The U of A lives in its own world and to me isn't downtown. There are some secondary areas that have a bit of uniqueness...south Fayetteville because of its poverty. Perhaps Mount Sequoyah, Wilson Park, and the historic district due to their concentrations of long-time residents. Beyond those...it's pretty generic Middle America.

Midtown and uptown are words that, in reference to Fayetteville, I've only read on this board. They've never come up in conversation, and it's a real stretch to apply them to a city of Fayetteville's size.

At least we're not Benrogdale. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

This morning I noticed signs around the Old Malco property that said "World Gym, Join Now for $9.99". There was a lot of activity over at the building so I pulled in for a second. I think I talked to an engineer. He said he was there for the sprinkler system. I asked if the building was going to be a gym, and he confirmed.

So I guess World Gym is relocating down to the Old Malco property.

Good news for that section of College Avenue, or Midtown, or north central Fayetteville. Nice to see a big old building being reused.

That will leave a hole in the current building of World Gym up by Fiesta Square. Hopefully Haas Hall Academy can take up some more room there and continue to grow.

This morning I noticed signs around the Old Malco property that said "World Gym, Join Now for $9.99". There was a lot of activity over at the building so I pulled in for a second. I think I talked to an engineer. He said he was there for the sprinkler system. I asked if the building was going to be a gym, and he confirmed.

So I guess World Gym is relocating down to the Old Malco property.

Good news for that section of College Avenue, or Midtown, or north central Fayetteville. Nice to see a big old building being reused.

That will leave a hole in the current building of World Gym up by Fiesta Square. Hopefully Haas Hall Academy can take up some more room there and continue to grow.

Interesting, the last I had heard I thought World Gym was going somewhere closer to I-540. I don't think I heard that from any official source. I wonder if that info was just wrong or if they changed plans.

I see where Bath Junkie is now open next to Lacuna on College Ave. They bill their location as being located in the SoNo District, which is South of North (street).

I'm sure some of you will love that.

:lol: Yeah I'm sure some will. In this aspect I think it's trying to point out to long time Fayetteville residents that they're in the 'real' section of Fayetteville as some like to call it. Although I think I tend to hear people use Township and everything south of that as the 'real Fayetteville'. With the everything north of that being more of what you'd expect in the rest of NWA. It doesn't bother me, but I also admit I'm not sure I'm ready to start using the term myself. In a way I can see them sorta wanting to set themselves out from the general College Ave moniker. Throwing out College Ave locations doesn't usually get people rushing out to their cars to go check it out.

laugh.gif Yeah I'm sure some will. In this aspect I think it's trying to point out to long time Fayetteville residents that they're in the 'real' section of Fayetteville as some like to call it. Although I think I tend to hear people use Township and everything south of that as the 'real Fayetteville'. With the everything north of that being more of what you'd expect in the rest of NWA. It doesn't bother me, but I also admit I'm not sure I'm ready to start using the term myself. In a way I can see them sorta wanting to set themselves out from the general College Ave moniker. Throwing out College Ave locations doesn't usually get people rushing out to their cars to go check it out.

College Avenue is a long street, and it does change character throughout. I have no problem with place names and find they simplify my life if I know exactly what they mean. I assume SoNo is North Street south to Dickson... I guess its better than NoDic.

I noticed a clothing store is opening in the old tire shop (that was briefly a spa) north of Township. "Upper Midtown" one could say. :lol:

The gym, Bath Junkie, and the filling of some vacant restaurant space shows a lot of life left in that section of North College Ave. I can't imagine what might hapen if the city had funds for some actual improvements up there.

Hopefully when Township is completed, we'll see some action at that corner.

I noticed a clothing store is opening in the old tire shop (that was briefly a spa) north of Township. "Upper Midtown" one could say. :lol:

The gym, Bath Junkie, and the filling of some vacant restaurant space shows a lot of life left in that section of North College Ave. I can't imagine what might happen if the city had funds for some actual improvements up there.

Hopefully when Township is completed, we'll see some action at that corner.

Was Bath Junkie on the Square. I wonder if it's moving from a previous location or if this is a new store. World Gym switched spots on College Ave. But I think this new location will work better for it. I also think the other location might have better luck renting it out to a new business/office than the former theater.

Was Bath Junkie on the Square. I wonder if it's moving from a previous location or if this is a new store. World Gym switched spots on College Ave. But I think this new location will work better for it. I also think the other location might have better luck renting it out to a new business/office than the former theater.

Bath Junkie was on the square where the visitor's center is located. They closed that at least two years ago. I don't think they had a location in Fayetteville for a while.

World Gym will be over doubling in size I believe, so its a net gain of filled space. Tracy Hoskins has created a good location in his building so hopefully a retailer will take up their empty space.

Hopefully the city's new zoning categories will expedite some infill and redevelopment.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that Bill & Tony's is now for sale. So there's a few chunks of real estate right there together that are on the market now.

It appears that the old Sugar Mountain/Butcher Block is no longer listed as "Pending".

It would be nice to see someone come in and snap a few of those up and do some redevelopment.

I noticed that Bill & Tony's is now for sale. So there's a few chunks of real estate right there together that are on the market now.

It appears that the old Sugar Mountain/Butcher Block is no longer listed as "Pending".

It would be nice to see someone come in and snap a few of those up and do some redevelopment.

Guess I'm not familiar with Bill & Tony's. Where was it?

Guess I'm not familiar with Bill & Tony's. Where was it?

Bill & Tony's is the liquor store adjacent to La Huerta/Platinum Gentlemen's Club.

The former Butcher Block/Sugar Mtn was under contract to Kum & Go C-store. It is now for sale at $1.9 MM by the Bank of Fayetteville.

Bill & Tony's is the liquor store adjacent to La Huerta/Platinum Gentlemen's Club.

The former Butcher Block/Sugar Mtn was under contract to Kum & Go C-store. It is now for sale at $1.9 MM by the Bank of Fayetteville.

Not that I'm heartbroken about a gas station/convenience store on an already traffic-congested corner falling through, but does anyone know what happened to kill that deal?

Not that I'm heartbroken about a gas station/convenience store on an already traffic-congested corner falling through, but does anyone know what happened to kill that deal?

From what I heard, the City of Fayetteville wouldn't allow them two points of ingress/access. They would have purchased the restaurant, the auto dealer and the junk center to the rear. It would have been a much better use for the corner.

FYI, Arvest Bank bought the auto lot across the street for a future branch, moving the one adjacent AQ.

From what I heard, the City of Fayetteville wouldn't allow them two points of ingress/access. They would have purchased the restaurant, the auto dealer and the junk center to the rear. It would have been a much better use for the corner.

FYI, Arvest Bank bought the auto lot across the street for a future branch, moving the one adjacent AQ.

Sad to hear about the city's decision. Although I can understand their position given the traffic on Township, it seems that they would make a special exception to allow that corner to redevelop. Its not often that someone comes along wanting to renew three parcels in that section of town. Given the city's refusal in this instance, its highly unlikely that anyone else will come along with a plan anytime soon.

Great news about Arvest Bank. That auto dealership is a concrete wasteland. I remember how the lot that Walgreens sits on was very similar 10 years ago. I will be happy to see a new building, and some new trees planted at that corner. It will do wonders for the overall look of the block. Walgreens is a good fit there, and their landscaping made a world of difference in the beauty of that section of College.

The old drag is definitely improving, albeit slowly.

Yeah although Arvest is just moving locations on College Ave, their old location should be a lot nicer for someone else to come in and do something with it. Compared to some other properties on College Ave. And of course they'll be improving their future location as well.

As far as that corner spot, yeah it's can be somewhat disappointing to know the city might make it more difficult for someone to come in and do something with that property. I just think it's difficult to develop such a small parcel of land on a major intersection like that. Getting in and out when you're that close to a stoplight that often has traffic backed up isn't helping matters. You almost need to also buy the adjacent property to have more room.

According to World Gym's Facebook page, the new Midtown :) World Gym location is also going to have a Tropical Smoothie Cafe location with a drive thru! Thats great news. Tropical Smoothie is a good place to eat if you like healthy options.

Yeah although Arvest is just moving locations on College Ave, their old location should be a lot nicer for someone else to come in and do something with it. Compared to some other properties on College Ave. And of course they'll be improving their future location as well.

As far as that corner spot, yeah it's can be somewhat disappointing to know the city might make it more difficult for someone to come in and do something with that property. I just think it's difficult to develop such a small parcel of land on a major intersection like that. Getting in and out when you're that close to a stoplight that often has traffic backed up isn't helping matters. You almost need to also buy the adjacent property to have more room.

I wish Whole Hog Cafe would relocate to the old Arvest when it moves. I really like Whole Hog Cafe, but I hate its location in Fiesta Square. I've always wished they were closer to downtown.

Well, that isn't what I expected. As congested as that corner is, it still seems like two points would have been doable. Although I agree it would be a better use for the corner than being dead/trashy, we have a dead gas station (that's been dead for quite a long while) on the corner of Garland and North and several "sketchy" EZ-marts around town that could use some freshening, so I don't get too excited about a new gas station going in. Plus, there's one just down the street at that car wash and an EZ-mart right next to that old car dealership and burger king. It seems to me that if the new station had gone in it might have killed off the two old (and sketchy) ones and then we'd have more decaying gas stations sitting around busy intersections. Pure conjecture, I know- but these are the things I think about while sitting at that intersection waiting for the light to change. :)

Well, that isn't what I expected. As congested as that corner is, it still seems like two points would have been doable. Although I agree it would be a better use for the corner than being dead/trashy, we have a dead gas station (that's been dead for quite a long while) on the corner of Garland and North and several "sketchy" EZ-marts around town that could use some freshening, so I don't get too excited about a new gas station going in. Plus, there's one just down the street at that car wash and an EZ-mart right next to that old car dealership and burger king. It seems to me that if the new station had gone in it might have killed off the two old (and sketchy) ones and then we'd have more decaying gas stations sitting around busy intersections. Pure conjecture, I know- but these are the things I think about while sitting at that intersection waiting for the light to change. smile.gif

Kum & Go does pretty decent buildings, though. They usually leave some additional retail space in the building and lease it out to another tenant. Plus, any new development is going to be an upgrade because our codes are stricter and better than they were in the 70s. A new building will have landscaping, new tree canopy cover, and adhere to at least minimal design standards. The city has really tried to minimize curb cuts and keep sidewalk construction going. Take a look at the revamped Township sometime (a work in progress) and see the curbing and the realignment of the curb cuts. They also have made space for street trees, and the effect will be a greatly aesthetically improved street. The widening is almost just a bonus, IMO. :)

And if those old gas stations go out, there's always the chance that those lots will also be redeveloped.

My assumption is that Kum & Go wanted a second ingress/egress point on Township, which would have been problematic I guess. I don't really see that being all that bad, as there is already a drive way on the NEC of that parcel off of Township. I see the city's point, but I wish they would make a few exceptions on ingress egress and come down harder on design standards.

Archived