College Avenue Developments

mzweig

Arby's on NCA is closed and the signage has been removed. Another one bites the dust.

I remember hitting that place a lot when I was in College. So is Fayetteville just down to the one Arby's or is there another one I'm forgetting about? Either way it's bad to see yet another empty space on College Ave.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arby's on NCA is closed and the signage has been removed. Another one bites the dust.

I don't understand why this closed- there is still a huge amount of traffic at that location and the store seemed to be as busy as ever. I know the parking lot and building were needing more maintenance as time went by but it seems they would have renovated like McDonalds instead just closing. The location out by the Mall doesn't seem to serve the same population base as this one did so they are just losing customers for the brand.

I don't understand why this closed- there is still a huge amount of traffic at that location and the store seemed to be as busy as ever. I know the parking lot and building were needing more maintenance as time went by but it seems they would have renovated like McDonalds instead just closing. The location out by the Mall doesn't seem to serve the same population base as this one did so they are just losing customers for the brand.

The property is for sale. If it was owned by the Arby's franchisee, this move could have more to do with their overall solvency than that particular location failing. I agree that it seemed to be relatively busy there. If they were renters, who knows what the deal is.

The former Ryan's/Fire Mountain building will be opening up as a BBQ restaurant soon. Buck Nekkid will be the new name. I'm glad something will be finally filling this space.

Here is the website: Buck Nekkid

I guess I should have put this in the Restaurant Development Thread...

Hopefully the Arby's on North College will be looking for another midtown location. That building was quite old and does not fit in with the newer Arby's style buildings.

The former Ryan's/Fire Mountain building will be opening up as a BBQ restaurant soon. Buck Nekkid will be the new name. I'm glad something will be finally filling this space.

Here is the website: Buck Nekkid

I guess I should have put this in the Restaurant Development Thread...

Hopefully the Arby's on North College will be looking for another midtown location. That building was quite old and does not fit in with the newer Arby's style buildings.

Horrible name and logo but interesting menu- meat by the pound and free sides with every meal.

Went to the AMC theater at Fiesta square today and noticed the Harps signage gone. Are they leaving? if so, that would be really bad for that area.

I had to make sure and look into this. While that Harps location is probably the weakest in Fayetteville, it's not closing. From what I've heard they're just getting some new updated signage.

I had to make sure and look into this. While that Harps location is probably the weakest in Fayetteville, it's not closing. From what I've heard they're just getting some new updated signage.

Yea! That is the one I shop at and someone I know works there. Fiesta Square has actually weathered the downturn rather well- even if something moves out it fills back up.

• 3 weeks later...

What happened to the NWA Benz dealer ship on College? Im guessing they moved to Rogers.

Maybe Superior Will Move the Caddy dealer ship there and give them a real show room.

That would be my guess. I know I had heard something a while back about a Benz dealership that was going to open in Benton County.

That would be my guess. I know I had heard something a while back about a Benz dealership that was going to open in Benton County.

The Superior brands Cadillac, BMW and Mercedes-Benz are all moving to Moberly Lane in Bentonville this year. The buildings are well on their way to completion.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like it still won't be official till February. But overall it almost seems as if it's a done deal that Kum & Go will be putting in a gas station on that corner of College and Township. Hopefully nothing derails this and helps out that blighted section of College Ave.

Sounds like it still won't be official till February. But overall it almost seems as if it's a done deal that Kum & Go will be putting in a gas station on that corner of College and Township. Hopefully nothing derails this and helps out that blighted section of College Ave.

Sounds good although I wonder how the traffic on College is going to be affected. That section of College is very busy so much of the time southbound traffic won't be able to get into the development and it is so close to the traffic light that northbound drivers that stop there will have trouble getting back out on College when traffic backs up at the light. I think that access had a hand in why the businesses that were there failed and hope that history doesn't repeat itself. Removing the outlet to Township may cause more traffic problems on College.

Sounds good although I wonder how the traffic on College is going to be affected. That section of College is very busy so much of the time southbound traffic won't be able to get into the development and it is so close to the traffic light that northbound drivers that stop there will have trouble getting back out on College when traffic backs up at the light. I think that access had a hand in why the businesses that were there failed and hope that history doesn't repeat itself. Removing the outlet to Township may cause more traffic problems on College.

Yeah some of those areas right next to big intersections are hard to develop because it is hard to get in and out. Walgreens seems to be doing fine on the opposite corner there. But they also still have access to Township. Where as this station won't. I'm not sure why everyone felt that access had to be removed. I know the topography doesn't help matters. But I'd still think surely there's a way to develop it so that there's more of a moderate incline. Perhaps there's just not enough room. Either way I'm still glad to see something going in. Rather than having it just sit around vacant for more years.

• 2 weeks later...

The former Long John Silver's on College Avenue has been repainted. It looks like something is getting ready to open there soon. The access to that spot is terrible, though. I'm surprised someone is trying to make a go of it there.

Yeah it's too bad that office building on the north side of it is somewhat new. It would seem like it would be better to put both those lots together into one type of development. But either way it will be nice to see something go into that spot. I hope whatever it is that it does well.

I heard that the Kirkland's in Nelson's Crossings closed. Is this true?

Also, once Superior moves the caddy dealership to Bentonville, will fayetteville be without any lux car dealership? Maybe some will set up a Lexus dealership in town. I don't believe there is one in NWA.

Also, once Superior moves the caddy dealership to Bentonville, will fayetteville be without any lux car dealership? Maybe some will set up a Lexus dealership in town. I don't believe there is one in NWA.

All of the luxury brands will be in Benton County. Lexus is controlled by the owners of NWA Toyota in Rogers. They have additional land to build the dealership when the timing is right for them.

Also, it was Kirkland's that closed and they are reducing their store count across the country. They've struggled with debt since the recession and haven't been able to kickstart their business.

All of the luxury brands will be in Benton County. Lexus is controlled by the owners of NWA Toyota in Rogers. They have additional land to build the dealership when the timing is right for them.

That is unfortunate, I don't particularly like the signal that sends for their estimation of future market. NWA could support two Cadillac dealerships easily enough to add another in Fayetteville. Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus (I'm not entirely sure why they haven't placed a Lexus dealer in NWA, but I suspect the relative proximity to Tulsa, Springfield, and Little Rock plays a part) on the other hand, aren't likely to add a second dealership in the region for a long time.

Fayetteville's certainly been getting the short end of the stick on car dealerships lately.

That is unfortunate, I don't particularly like the signal that sends for their estimation of future market. NWA could support two Cadillac dealerships easily enough to add another in Fayetteville. Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus (I'm not entirely sure why they haven't placed a Lexus dealer in NWA, but I suspect the relative proximity to Tulsa, Springfield, and Little Rock plays a part) on the other hand, aren't likely to add a second dealership in the region for a long time.

Fayetteville's certainly been getting the short end of the stick on car dealerships lately.

Honestly doesn't matter, as car dealerships provide no sales tax revenue to the cities they are in. People will drive a long distance for a good deal on a car. I can understand how it might negatively impact peoples perspective on a market in terms of having high end brands in your city, but really doubt anyone bases their decision on where to live, eat, shop, etc on what car dealerships are nearby.

Honestly doesn't matter, as car dealerships provide no sales tax revenue to the cities they are in. People will drive a long distance for a good deal on a car. I can understand how it might negatively impact peoples perspective on a market in terms of having high end brands in your city, but really doubt anyone bases their decision on where to live, eat, shop, etc on what car dealerships are nearby.

I'm sure you're right, but I always wonder if other high end retail doesn't at least take note of things like that when looking at potential locations. At any rate, I certainly hope the old car dealerships will find new uses- empty former car lots don't look great and College already has enough empty spots here and there.

Fayetteville has been getting the short end of the stick on a lot of things lately. <_< But I guess everybody is heading up to Benton County to go after those Walmart vendors.

I'm sure you're right, but I always wonder if other high end retail doesn't at least take note of things like that when looking at potential locations. At any rate, I certainly hope the old car dealerships will find new uses- empty former car lots don't look great and College already has enough empty spots here and there.

I have never once spoken to a retailer or restaurant that has said it is important for them to be near car dealerships. Car dealerships only drive traffic for other car dealerships. I wouldn't worry about it.

The best case would be that the vacant dealerships get a creative reuse, similar to the eco-friendly construction product and paint store that repurposed the Saturn dealership. Tax revenue plus and also a good fit for the community.

Archived