College Avenue Developments

mzweig

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's throwing good money after bad...

Sort of what I thought when I heard a cashier there talking about it.  

I imagine both the IGA properties left along 71 are in the crosshairs of a few developers at least.  Walmart should drive both of them out.  

That's throwing good money after bad...

Unless it's completely tearing it down and starting from scratch, I agree. And... even then it's throwing good after bad. Sadly, they aren't going to compete unless they completely revamp themselves including the name. It's sad, as I grew up in a grocery store where they bagged your groceries and even loaded them in the car for you, but it's like full service gas stations, the economics just aren't there unless you just have an affluent clientele that don't give a hoot about shelf price.

But, I have heard the same for the one on School. Even that the Pharmacy in the store was going to relocate to the closed Bank of Fayetteville location to take advantage of the drive thru.

That corner needs nuked, the parking lot is a complete mess.

Maybe those in Commercial real estate can explain why WalMart hasn't looked that the Ark 16 corridor for a supercenter, at least on the smaller scape like the one at Lonoke  or Huntsville and other smaller markets, though I know that Walmart would have to put lots more effort into the design. Man, talk about doing the bare min, that new Huntsville store takes the cake.  

I hear that Marvin's IGA is going to be renovating sometime in the next month or so.  Does anybody have any details?

I'm not too surprised.  I think they know the heat it on.  Natural Grocers is already open Whole Foods will open later this year.  Then you also have Walmart very aggressively building and saturating the market in NWA.  As others have already stated.  Probably not going to work, but guess they want to at least go down swinging.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the old Long John Silver's property at College & Sycamore has a big SOLD sign on it now.  Anybody hear who bought it finally?

There is a construction dumpster and contractor signs up at the former USA drug in front of ONF now.  

Thanks for the updates.  Hadn't noticed either.  Hopefully whoever bought the old LJS location will have better luck.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to city planning documents, it looks like something positive is finally going to happen with the old Long John Silver's building at College Ave & Sycamore.  It appears they are going to tear down the old building, and build a new building closer to the street with parking behind.  Let's hope that starts more good stuff happening in that general area.  There are a few other properties for sale not far away from there.  

According to city planning documents, it looks like something positive is finally going to happen with the old Long John Silver's building at College Ave & Sycamore.  It appears they are going to tear down the old building, and build a new building closer to the street with parking behind.  Let's hope that starts more good stuff happening in that general area.  There are a few other properties for sale not far away from there.  

So has anyone heard what this little building will be?  Tom Lynn Properties is the applicant.  My guess is a small office building.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in the DemGaz today about a possible "road diet" for Archibald Yell, reducing it from four lanes to three.  I realize it isn't technically "College Avenue", but it is what connects College Ave to South School.

I actually think that stretch of road would be a great spot for a "road diet".  People drive too fast down through those curves, and a turn-lane would make it much safer.  When that stretch was built, it was crammed through an existing neighborhood, cutting off the SE part of the city from downtown.  It never really "fit" entirely.

Just curious what some others might think about the idea.  Other options being discussed are a pedestrian bridge at South & Archibald Yell, or a signaled beacon crossing like on South School.  I think the beacon would be the least safe option, as traffic is moving downhill fast through that area with blind curves, etc.

I think three lanes would carry the capacity in that section of town, and a slower street could lead to a better pedestrian environment and some redevelopment along the street.

There was an article in the DemGaz today about a possible "road diet" for Archibald Yell, reducing it from four lanes to three.  I realize it isn't technically "College Avenue", but it is what connects College Ave to South School.

I actually think that stretch of road would be a great spot for a "road diet".  People drive too fast down through those curves, and a turn-lane would make it much safer.  When that stretch was built, it was crammed through an existing neighborhood, cutting off the SE part of the city from downtown.  It never really "fit" entirely.

Just curious what some others might think about the idea.  Other options being discussed are a pedestrian bridge at South & Archibald Yell, or a signaled beacon crossing like on South School.  I think the beacon would be the least safe option, as traffic is moving downhill fast through that area with blind curves, etc.

I think three lanes would carry the capacity in that section of town, and a slower street could lead to a better pedestrian environment and some redevelopment along the street.

I agree with you.  I admit I don't drive that area on a consistent basis, so I'm not an expert.  But I don't think cutting the lanes back would be too bad.  A dedicated turn lane would be great.  With the curves sometimes do don't see someone making a left hand turn till it's too late to try to switch lanes.  But I will admit it might seems bit odd to have to merge lanes while it's four lanes north and south of that section.  I wonder if they'll merge lanes or if they'll simply make the outer lanes turn right only lanes on streets near that section. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went and had a look at the planned College Avenue sidewalk improvements from Maple to North.  The plan looked like 10 ft sidewalks on each side of the street, with trees and lamps, alternating across from each other on both sides of the street.  It looks extensive.  They plan to remove and setback the retaining walls along the entire section, except for the small stacked brown block section nearest Prospect.  This will be a huge improvement for the look and feel of that area.  I didn't see any information about utilities, although I believe the plan is to bury the overhead lines.

The plans said they will do the east side of the street in 2016 and the west side in 2017. 

• 1 month later...

I have the old Twin Arch Motel under contract.  Studying it now.  Initial plans would be to make it fully-furnished, utils included apartments with a pool.  Parking will go on vacant lot to the south of it.  Keep your fingers crossed I can make this work--it's in really bad shape and the numbers will be tight.

Also--finally got my regular Certificate of Occupancy for 1200 N. College today!  

M

I have the old Twin Arch Motel under contract.  Studying it now.  Initial plans would be to make it fully-furnished, utils included apartments with a pool.  Parking will go on vacant lot to the south of it.  Keep your fingers crossed I can make this work--it's in really bad shape and the numbers will be tight.

Also--finally got my regular Certificate of Occupancy for 1200 N. College today!  

M

Congrats Mark!

• 2 weeks later...

Demolition of the old Long John Silver's location at Sycamore is pretty much complete.  I'm looking forward to seeing something shiny and new on that corner.

you still have the dump of a used car lot across the street where cars are literally falling apart as they sit and rot.

• 8 months later...

I heard today that someone bought both the Arvest Bank and the former AQ properties adjacent to one another on College Avenue in Fayetteville.  Does anybody know who purchased those?  Hopefully it is a developer....

Archived