College Avenue Developments

mzweig

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of having a 'green' park close to the downtown area. Not sure how traffic from 71B would affect it. I also think it's close enough to the future Renaissance to become a more valuable property for development in the near future.

I am not sure how this would effect the restaurant or the park area but aren't they going to redo archibald yell and make it into more of a blvd? This is from the master plan thing.

Just a random thought about that section of College Ave.

While driving downtown the other day, I realized that if pedestrian improvements can make their way from downtown to the North Street area, a fairly easy extension of trail/sidewalk/pedestrian friendly improvements can be made all the way to Sycamore and the park on the hill behind McDonald's.

The reason is the VA campus, which is largely greenspace, fronts College Ave there for a ways.

Currently its boudaried by an ugly chainlink fence.

Surely the city could get the VA to dedicate some right of way there for a nice pedestrian connection over the hill if improvements to north College Ave can start happening soon.

I believe a trail would work nicely if it cut through this park area and hooked up to the natural hillside park on Sycamore.

Dreaming even further, it could easily be extended via sidewalk connections to connect to the Woodlands Junior High campus down the hill from Sycamore.

I am not sure how this would effect the restaurant or the park area but aren't they going to redo archibald yell and make it into more of a blvd? This is from the master plan thing.

I've heard different things about it. I'm not sure if anything has been decided yet.

Just a random thought about that section of College Ave.

While driving downtown the other day, I realized that if pedestrian improvements can make their way from downtown to the North Street area, a fairly easy extension of trail/sidewalk/pedestrian friendly improvements can be made all the way to Sycamore and the park on the hill behind McDonald's.

The reason is the VA campus, which is largely greenspace, fronts College Ave there for a ways.

Currently its boudaried by an ugly chainlink fence.

Surely the city could get the VA to dedicate some right of way there for a nice pedestrian connection over the hill if improvements to north College Ave can start happening soon.

I believe a trail would work nicely if it cut through this park area and hooked up to the natural hillside park on Sycamore.

Dreaming even further, it could easily be extended via sidewalk connections to connect to the Woodlands Junior High campus down the hill from Sycamore.

I think that idea has a lot of merit.... BTW, does anyone actually use that park? Are there any trails, benches, anything?

I think that idea has a lot of merit.... BTW, does anyone actually use that park? Are there any trails, benches, anything?

You know I've never really checked that park out before. I never really saw anywhere to park but I have seen people over there while driving by. I'm not sure what all is over there though.

I have gone up there to eat a McDonald's breakfast with my teenager on the way to Woodland Jr. High. Not much of a park but a lot of folks seem to park and eat breakfast/lunch up there.

I have gone up there to eat a McDonald's breakfast with my teenager on the way to Woodland Jr. High. Not much of a park but a lot of folks seem to park and eat breakfast/lunch up there.

According to accessfayetteville.org, this park on Sycamore is called Gregory Park and is comprised of 19 acres.

By comparison, Wilson Park is only 21.5 acres.

Gregory Park is primarily undeveloped wooded greenspace.

I know the plans are not finalized yet for what they will do here because I have spoken to some of the developers. I own property (my house and guest house @ 59 and 65 E. Prospect abuts their property on one side.) It's interesting to note, however, that the fortune telling spot is being gutted right now. I wonder what we will get there? I hope not "Tony C's House of Fortunes!" He seems to be in every other business in this town--seedy bars, wild-on honky-tonks, adult entertainment, cabs, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

Yeah he seems to be popping up everywhere.

According to accessfayetteville.org, this park on Sycamore is called Gregory Park and is comprised of 19 acres.

By comparison, Wilson Park is only 21.5 acres.

Gregory Park is primarily undeveloped wooded greenspace.

It certainly makes for some nice urban greenspace. It's not too far off of College Ave either.

Anyone seen the new furniture store off College? It's a great revitalization project just north of the immediate downtown area. The store has a great urban look as well. I hope to see more things like this on this part of College.

That's Lacuna--yes, we have mentioned it here, Matt. They poured a ton of money into the old Doc Murdock's/Club Matrix building. Those of us who live around here are thrilled. And they moved from a way out Joyce near Crossover location to be closer in to the action. Neat project! A good one to take some pictures of, photogs out there.

That's Lacuna--yes, we have mentioned it here, Matt. They poured a ton of money into the old Doc Murdock's/Club Matrix building. Those of us who live around here are thrilled. And they moved from a way out Joyce near Crossover location to be closer in to the action. Neat project! A good one to take some pictures of, photogs out there.

It reminded me of the kind of stores I saw in Los Angeles when I was there a few years ago. All I can say is that I hope more of these kinds of stores make their way to this part of college.

It reminded me of the kind of stores I saw in Los Angeles when I was there a few years ago. All I can say is that I hope more of these kinds of stores make their way to this part of college.

Matt--darn near anything would be an improvement on College these days. But I agree--hip store, very much something you'd see on either coast. I haven't gone in there yet but will soon.

Yeah I saw it when I drove by it just yesterday. I was showing off Fayetteville to family from out of state. I'll try to make it over sometime to take a few pics and post them. But yeah just having anything new on College is nice. This belongs in another topic but I've heard at least one restaurant is leaving College Ave for a spot on 6th St.

Here's some pics of and around Lacuna. It's hard to see looking into the sun in the first pic but it's just behind the tree near the center. Then the other two are obviously of the store. Still some work being done on the outside of it. From what little I glanced at looks like some interesting stuff in there. But anyway nice to see something going on around College Ave outside the NWA Mall area.

collegeave01xu3.jpg

lacuna01wh5.jpg

lacuna02gs2.jpg

You know I was thinking about stopping by one night and taking some night shots. But I might wait another week or so when I get my new camera.

Thanks for the pics and updates Rod. I agree the store looks amazing at night and is a great addition to this part of town. I hope that it survives.

Thanks for the pics and updates Rod. I agree the store looks amazing at night and is a great addition to this part of town. I hope that it survives.

Yeah I'm a little worried about that. The bad thing about someone sticking out their neck and trying to revitalize an area like that is sometimes the one to start it has a really hard time starting off. I don't really have a need for furniture so I haven't checked in a while but I don't think there's too many furniture places like that around in Fayetteville is there? Maybe IO Metro, but I haven't even been inside of it. But I did finally see where their location is here in Fayetteville.

Here's some pics of and around Lacuna. It's hard to see looking into the sun in the first pic but it's just behind the tree near the center. Then the other two are obviously of the store. Still some work being done on the outside of it. From what little I glanced at looks like some interesting stuff in there. But anyway nice to see something going on around College Ave outside the NWA Mall area.

collegeave01xu3.jpg

lacuna01wh5.jpg

lacuna02gs2.jpg

Rod--that first photo you took was taken about 50 feet from my house (s) on Prospect. You are standing on the corner of Prospect and College. My house and guest house are next door to the doctor's office.

Rod--that first photo you took was taken about 50 feet from my house (s) on Prospect. You are standing on the corner of Prospect and College. My house and guest house are next door to the doctor's office.

Yeah, I was trying to shot pics there at the wrong time of day. But I wanted to try anyway while I was there and out taking pics anyway. Looks like it also has some potential for a spot for me to try some nighttime shots with the traffic. I've been wanting to get out and do more of that but I was pretty sure I was going to be getting a new camera so I've been putting some photo shoots off till then.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share a few night shots, since some of you mentioned that Lacuna looked more interesting at night. I tried some different angles and tried getting some 'traffic streaks' in there as well. On my here to take shots I though I saw a nearby building that looked like someone was tearing down for maybe a future development. I didn't get a real good look in the dark. Is this a part of something anyone has mentioned on here or has heard about?

363358949_e3cf9430af_o.jpg

363358950_8d204bd92b_o.jpg

363001491_d1401a0626_o.jpg

363358946_83c4201fdd_o.jpg

Yeah, I was trying to shot pics there at the wrong time of day. But I wanted to try anyway while I was there and out taking pics anyway. Looks like it also has some potential for a spot for me to try some nighttime shots with the traffic. I've been wanting to get out and do more of that but I was pretty sure I was going to be getting a new camera so I've been putting some photo shoots off till then.

How do you get the traffic streaks like that? I think traffic streaks make all night photos look sweet. Do you just use slow speed film?

Archived