College Avenue Developments

mzweig

Talk to Mitchell Massey of Growth Group. He is the man. I am especially anxious to see this area revitalized as I live in a house that I have big bucks invested in so close by! I won't object to tall buildings, either--I promise! I do understand that DPZ, the planners of Ruskin Heights, have at least been asked informally what they would do with some of this property if given a chance, and I find that really exciting. I dunno if that's true or not.

Interesting. :D

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk to Mitchell Massey of Growth Group. He is the man. I am especially anxious to see this area revitalized as I live in a house that I have big bucks invested in so close by! I won't object to tall buildings, either--I promise! I do understand that DPZ, the planners of Ruskin Heights, have at least been asked informally what they would do with some of this property if given a chance, and I find that really exciting. I dunno if that's true or not.

Yeah, that would be the developer. His group is also the ones that are doing Ruskin so it would be great if they could get some plan together with DZP (the creators of New Urbanism incase someone reading this did not know) and revitalize this area. I guess this would really effect you Mark since you are in the middle of this area. :D

Yeah, that would be the developer. His group is also the ones that are doing Ruskin so it would be great if they could get some plan together with DZP (the creators of New Urbanism incase someone reading this did not know) and revitalize this area. I guess this would really effect you Mark since you are in the middle of this area. :D

Yes and he's all for it. No lawsuits. Just in case any developers are listening. :lol:

Yes and he's all for it. No lawsuits. Just in case any developers are listening. :lol:

I might even be willing to invest a few bucks in the right project! I would like a really great Italian restaurant to be part of it.....

There used to be a Star of India Restaurant in Bentonville, but it wasn't the best and closed about half a year ago.

I recall them. Never went there--they were always either closed or out of business when we tried.

I recall them. Never went there--they were always either closed or out of business when we tried.

The curry wasn't that good, but acceptable. Hopefully there will be another one in the future. I would assume one will be built within the next few years either in Fayetteville or Bentonville.

I imagine this idea will go over like a lead balloon, but a way to encourage redevelopment of the stretch of N. College between North and Maple would be widen it to include a turn lane. As it is, turning left off that stretch is putting your life in danger (which why I always stay in the outside lane even though that has it's hazards also when someone veers over to avoid being behind the left-turners). Reducing to 3 lanes as has been discussed would just creat a traffic bottleneck that would also discourage redevlopment.

I imagine this idea will go over like a lead balloon, but a way to encourage redevelopment of the stretch of N. College between North and Maple would be widen it to include a turn lane. As it is, turning left off that stretch is putting your life in danger (which why I always stay in the outside lane even though that has it's hazards also when someone veers over to avoid being behind the left-turners). Reducing to 3 lanes as has been discussed would just creat a traffic bottleneck that would also discourage redevlopment.

I live in that stretch there. The three lane plan is designed to slow traffic and make it more pedestrian friendly. Another lane will increase speeds and make everything worse Sorry, but I really disagree with you on this one.

I live in that stretch there. The three lane plan is designed to slow traffic and make it more pedestrian friendly. Another lane will increase speeds and make everything worse Sorry, but I really disagree with you on this one.

Roads with a center turn-lane have superior safety performance versus roads without in almost all cases. They especially reduce the number of rear-end and sideswipe collisions, particularly with roads with left-turn traffic demands.

The "three lane plan" as you put it wasn't three lanes at all. It was two lanes, with occasional turn lanes, and a median.

Roads with raised curbed medians typically have better safety records than roads with a center turn lane, though.

However, the mere presence of a median will certainly NOT slow traffic down. Think about how fast people drive through Bella Vista on Hwy 71. Then think about how fast people drive on College north of North Street, particularly in heavy turn areas, such as from Fiesta Square to Milsap. Now, if it was a median with narrow lanes and landscaping and such, that can certainly slow traffic down, among other traffic calming measures. But a median alone does not do that.

zman was talking about a center turn lane. NOT a through lane. That's different!

Roads with a center turn-lane have superior safety performance versus roads without in almost all cases. They especially reduce the number of rear-end and sideswipe collisions, particularly with roads with left-turn traffic demands.

The "three lane plan" as you put it wasn't three lanes at all. It was two lanes, with occasional turn lanes, and a median.

Roads with raised curbed medians typically have better safety records than roads with a center turn lane, though.

However, the mere presence of a median will certainly NOT slow traffic down. Think about how fast people drive through Bella Vista on Hwy 71. Then think about how fast people drive on College north of North Street, particularly in heavy turn areas, such as from Fiesta Square to Milsap. Now, if it was a median with narrow lanes and landscaping and such, that can certainly slow traffic down, among other traffic calming measures. But a median alone does not do that.

zman was talking about a center turn lane. NOT a through lane. That's different!

I am not sold on this idea at all. If there is only one lane north and one south, I would expect traffic to get backed up worse than it already does. I know that traffic is not near as bad in this area compared to College Ave in north Fayetteville but everytime there is a special event such as Lights of the Ozarks, Razorback games, Bikes Blues and BBQ, or whatever it can get pretty bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a used car with a "for sale" sign on it is now parked right in front of the old Sassafras location on College. I called the planning department and complained. I am sick of this stuff--these informal car lots--and the city needs to stop them. The other one on College between Trenton and Maple is really bad, too. They told me that these are not legit but no one has complained yet! They are evidently dealing with another one of these out Wedington somewhere. Anyway, I don't think they do our city any good and I am planning on doing what I can to stop them.

Just say "no" to illegit used car lots!

I noticed a used car with a "for sale" sign on it is now parked right in front of the old Sassafras location on College. I called the planning department and complained. I am sick of this stuff--these informal car lots--and the city needs to stop them. The other one on College between Trenton and Maple is really bad, too. They told me that these are not legit but no one has complained yet! They are evidently dealing with another one of these out Wedington somewhere. Anyway, I don't think they do our city any good and I am planning on doing what I can to stop them.

Just say "no" to illegit used car lots!

I finally got a chance to see some plans for that block of College and it will look much better if everything works out than it does now. There will be retail, office, and restaurant space as well as some townhouse style residential between Rebecca and Prospect. It will not be tall, just 2 stories for most of the development. But it is better than a couple of vacant buildings.

I finally got a chance to see some plans for that block of College and it will look much better if everything works out than it does now. There will be retail, office, and restaurant space as well as some townhouse style residential between Rebecca and Prospect. It will not be tall, just 2 stories for most of the development. But it is better than a couple of vacant buildings.

I would love to see those plans and cannot wait to see it happen.

That sounds fantastic.

I always thought some areas of Fayetteville could use that "San Francisco" style of townhome/ row houses and make attractive use of the hilly terrain.

I hope this project works out and is a sign of the infill to come.

• 3 weeks later...

A little more info on our "Main Street":

Hunan Manor has left College Ave for their fancy new digs out on Wedington.

Oseguera's is moving over into Evelyn Hills.

Malco will soon be closing.

There are some opportunities for redevelopment springing up on North College.

Now if we just had someone with deep pockets and a (realistic) vision.....

:whistling:

I know that Nock Investments owns the little gym behind the future Lil Daddies shooting gallery, er um, I mean "hip hop spot". I think they are just keeping the gym open to pay the property taxes while they keep a little place holder there on north College awaiting future investment opportunities. I buy a cheap memebership there now and again as its in my 'hood. ($27/ mo, no contract, 24 hr access, btw...)

Nothing ever came of the old Long John Silver's at Sycamore which we all thought at one time was going to be a Starbucks.

SE Corner of Township and College is seeing a new neighborhood pop up on the hillside called the "Summit" or something of that nature.

The old trailer park just off N. College off Sunbridge is almost completed moving out tenants and will soon be home to higher quality housing.

Lots of new REZ popping up around N. College Ave, and lots of properties becoming vacant and shuffling around...

Anybody got any news on this area?

The old trailer park just off N. College off Sunbridge is almost completed moving out tenants and will soon be home to higher quality housing.

From what I have heard, they are removing the trailer park and making it into new small afordable housing. The lots will be tiny but it is a good area for new cheap housing. It should fill up and sell out quick.

From what I have heard, they are removing the trailer park and making it into new small afordable housing. The lots will be tiny but it is a good area for new cheap housing. It should fill up and sell out quick.

Much better than a trailer park! Starter homes, in town. Who says Fayetteville is too expensive?

Much better than a trailer park! Starter homes, in town. Who says Fayetteville is too expensive?

That would really depend on how much they go for per square foot and if they're too small for families they wouldn't really be a good investment for many. Could be good student housing, though.

Hunan Manor has left College Ave for their fancy new digs out on Wedington.

I noticed yesterday that the old Hunan Manor building has a freshly painted awning and some minor exterior refurbishing underway. Looks like it is being turned into "Red Palace", another Chinese restaurant.

Man, that was fast.

I am happy that I will still have good Chinese food in my hood. Losing Hunan's drive thru was going to seriously hit my take-out options. Lord forbid I had to drive all the way down to Mong Dynasty.... <_<

I will be amazed if the new Malco is open by July, but that is what an article in the Times is saying this morning. The state of the art 12 screen theater could be open in less than 3 months so that it catches some of the summer blockbuster season. The theater will also be expandable in the future to 16 screens if and when it is needed. The Razorback 6 as we all know will be closing when the new one opens. Bob Gaddy was the purchase the theater last year and is expected to make some major adjustments to the property later this year. I will kind of be a sad day when the over 30 year old theater closes this year. I was a manager there back in the mid-90s when I was in high school and I really enjoyed it.

Here is the article from the Times: Malco Theater

I also thought this should be mentioned in the College Ave thread because the Razorback 6 property is the largest parcel of redevelopable property on College Ave between Evelyn Hills and Fiesta Square. Whatever happens to that huge lot can potentially have an enormous impact on the future of College Avenue.

I'd like to see a Neighborhood Market along with some kind of mixed use, high quality development here. I'm excited at the prospect of that entire block being redeveloped within the city's newer landscape and design guidelines. As it stands, its a large swath of concrete with barely any landscaping, as well as outdated lighting which does not meet the city's light pollution restrictions.

Its redevelopment can potentially provide a MAJOR pickme-up for that section of our main drag.

I also thought this should be mentioned in the College Ave thread because the Razorback 6 property is the largest parcel of redevelopable property on College Ave between Evelyn Hills and Fiesta Square. Whatever happens to that huge lot can potentially have an enormous impact on the future of College Avenue.

I'd like to see a Neighborhood Market along with some kind of mixed use, high quality development here. I'm excited at the prospect of that entire block being redeveloped within the city's newer landscape and design guidelines. As it stands, its a large swath of concrete with barely any landscaping, as well as outdated lighting which does not meet the city's light pollution restrictions.

Its redevelopment can potentially provide a MAJOR pickme-up for that section of our main drag.

A Neighborhood Market would definitely lend a pickme-up for that area.

Archived