College Avenue Developments

mzweig

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Neighborhood Market would definitely lend a pickme-up for that area.

Yeah, a grocery store would probably work well there. The nearest are over a mile or more away. There is a Harps at Fiesta Square and an IGA on the corner of College and Lafayette. Hopefully they will not put just a building with a large parking lot there which is already whats there. Maybe they can add some office space or restaurants or something.

Yeah, a grocery store would probably work well there. The nearest are over a mile or more away. There is a Harps at Fiesta Square and an IGA on the corner of College and Lafayette. Hopefully they will not put just a building with a large parking lot there which is already whats there. Maybe they can add some office space or restaurants or something.

I'd like to see a Neighborhood Market myself but there aren't any plans on another Neighborhood Market in Fayetteville on the drawing board (trust me :thumbsup: ). Tontitown is building one but that's about it for this area. Centerton & Pea Ridge have Supercenters also in plans for the next few years. But back to Fayetteville something like a Kroger would be nice at that site.

I was glad to see Rob Sharp put up a sign stating that he would either charge people $45 a day to park on his lot or they'd be towed. This is the property just south of Trenton and north of Maple on College that had as many as 15-20 cars for sale parked on it recently. Only one vehicle left now.

I'd like to see a Neighborhood Market myself but there aren't any plans on another Neighborhood Market in Fayetteville on the drawing board (trust me :thumbsup: ). Tontitown is building one but that's about it for this area. Centerton & Pea Ridge have Supercenters also in plans for the next few years. But back to Fayetteville something like a Kroger would be nice at that site.

I live near this site, and I was driving by it today and I started thinking about it.

1) Its a very accessible site due to its College Avenue frontage, but also because it is flanked on the west by Green Acres Rd. Poplar also crosses near the site to the south.

2) This site straddles a retail/office/residential area.

The second might be true of just about any site along College Avenue, but its very true here. Eastern exposure to College Avenue and restaurant/retail corridor, western exposure to lots of small offices and a small residential neighborhood. Very near to Colt Square retail/office complex; lots of little restaurants/bars nearby.

What I am trying to say is I think this site is as well-suited to a mixed use development as any site in the city.

Anything new will be good for midtown, but this could turn into a really cool project if someone chooses to maximize what I see as the great potential of this site.

It would be a shame if it turned out to just be a single-sided strip mall or a couple of restaurant pads. It could be much more with a little effort.

A little more info on our "Main Street":

Hunan Manor has left College Ave for their fancy new digs out on Wedington.

Oseguera's is moving over into Evelyn Hills.

Malco will soon be closing.

There are some opportunities for redevelopment springing up on North College.

Now if we just had someone with deep pockets and a (realistic) vision.....

:whistling:

I know that Nock Investments owns the little gym behind the future Lil Daddies shooting gallery, er um, I mean "hip hop spot". I think they are just keeping the gym open to pay the property taxes while they keep a little place holder there on north College awaiting future investment opportunities. I buy a cheap memebership there now and again as its in my 'hood. ($27/ mo, no contract, 24 hr access, btw...)

Nothing ever came of the old Long John Silver's at Sycamore which we all thought at one time was going to be a Starbucks.

SE Corner of Township and College is seeing a new neighborhood pop up on the hillside called the "Summit" or something of that nature.

The old trailer park just off N. College off Sunbridge is almost completed moving out tenants and will soon be home to higher quality housing.

Lots of new REZ popping up around N. College Ave, and lots of properties becoming vacant and shuffling around...

Anybody got any news on this area?

Yeah I had heard about Hunan Manor moving a while back but I only posted that info over in the restaurant topic. Yeah I keep waiting for more stuff to happen along College. I'm not sure if LJS was going to be a Starbuck's or not. At the time that's what everyone thought but then Tony Catroppa (sp?)opened up a coffeeshop. I wondered if he had considered that location and then went over to Garland instead. I've also heard he's considering opening up other coffeeshop locations.

I live near this site, and I was driving by it today and I started thinking about it.

1) Its a very accessible site due to its College Avenue frontage, but also because it is flanked on the west by Green Acres Rd. Poplar also crosses near the site to the south.

2) This site straddles a retail/office/residential area.

The second might be true of just about any site along College Avenue, but its very true here. Eastern exposure to College Avenue and restaurant/retail corridor, western exposure to lots of small offices and a small residential neighborhood. Very near to Colt Square retail/office complex; lots of little restaurants/bars nearby.

What I am trying to say is I think this site is as well-suited to a mixed use development as any site in the city.

Anything new will be good for midtown, but this could turn into a really cool project if someone chooses to maximize what I see as the great potential of this site.

It would be a shame if it turned out to just be a single-sided strip mall or a couple of restaurant pads. It could be much more with a little effort.

That's a great idea. Maybe an organic foods store and deli with a spa topped off with loft apartments and some boutique shops all wrapped around a fountain garden with benches.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mexican restaurant in the 700 block of College Ave (north of the Lucuna furniture store) that had the fire last year now has a "for sale" sign in front of it. I guess the insurance got worked out. I'm surprised it went on the market and the guys purchasing other land in that stretch of College didn't purchase it.

The Mexican restaurant in the 700 block of College Ave (north of the Lucuna furniture store) that had the fire last year now has a "for sale" sign in front of it. I guess the insurance got worked out. I'm surprised it went on the market and the guys purchasing other land in that stretch of College didn't purchase it.

Yep, it is for sale. Unfortunetly the sale did not go through so it is now back on the market. I can't discuss too much about it on here but it is very disapointing... :cry:

Everything all around Prospect and Trenton on College is going up for sale. I guess that Mitchell Massey has decided to pull the plug on his projects on College. The two restaurants he was trying to buy are for sale, the motel just went on the market, and the big building next to it went up for sale. It doesn't bode well for the near term here. Let's forget any thoughts of a DPZ-inspired or designed neourban development. Ain't gonna happen.

Paradigm Development just north of Rolling Hills and College will be putting in a pizza shop and a ice cream store of some sort near World's Gym.

Also, the club at Sycamore and College has closed, it was called Lil Daddy's and the building is up for rent and a local developer is trying to buy it but the owner is hesitant to sell it. The rumor is that the old Long John Silver's may become a Starbuck's as well.

Everything all around Prospect and Trenton on College is going up for sale. I guess that Mitchell Massey has decided to pull the plug on his projects on College. The two restaurants he was trying to buy are for sale, the motel just went on the market, and the big building next to it went up for sale. It doesn't bode well for the near term here. Let's forget any thoughts of a DPZ-inspired or designed neourban development. Ain't gonna happen.

Also, the club at Sycamore and College has closed, it was called Lil Daddy's and the building is up for rent and a local developer is trying to buy it but the owner is hesitant to sell it. The rumor is that the old Long John Silver's may become a Starbuck's as well.

Good news.

Local developer makes me think Nock Investments, as they already own the gym behind the bar.

That is a great little spot as it backs up to Gregory Park. Someone with vision could put something nice there.

The Long John's has been back on the market a while now. For a while the for sale sign was down, but its been listed again for months.

A Starbucks and a redvelopment of SWC Sycamore and College would do wonders to spur some midtown redevelopment.

There's already a little thats happened in that general area recently, and as we all know the Malco will be redeveloped sometime in the (hopefully near) future.

Paradigm Development just north of Rolling Hills and College will be putting in a pizza shop and a ice cream store of some sort near World's Gym.

I have not heard about a pizza place but the ice cream shop will be a Maggie Moo's.

Here is Maggie's website: Ice Cream

The Starbucks rumor has been going on for months now.

• 1 month later...

Noticed in the paper that the subdivision committee tabled discussion on a development at the SEC of Golden Eagle and North College Avenue to be called the College Avenue Townhomes.

This is the street leading up the hill just south of Fiesta Square I believe.

More residential development anywhere along College Ave is good IMO.

I have not heard about a pizza place but the ice cream shop will be a Maggie Moo's.

Here is Maggie's website: Ice Cream

The Starbucks rumor has been going on for months now.

I'd never heard of Maggie's before. But looking at the website they have them in all the states surrounding Arkansas. Looks like ours will be the first one in Arkansas.

Noticed in the paper that the subdivision committee tabled discussion on a development at the SEC of Golden Eagle and North College Avenue to be called the College Avenue Townhomes.

This is the street leading up the hill just south of Fiesta Square I believe.

More residential development anywhere along College Ave is good IMO.

Yeah I agree with you about the development. I think Golden Eagle is on the east side of College, about halfway between Drake and Appleby.

Yeah I agree with you about the development. I think Golden Eagle is on the east side of College, about halfway between Drake and Appleby.

It is just south of the new Carpet One store (old Panda restaurant). I have the house on top of the hill currently listed. I don't think that these townhomes are going to help me sell the house.

I'd never heard of Maggie's before. But looking at the website they have them in all the states surrounding Arkansas. Looks like ours will be the first one in Arkansas.

I kind of wonder if this is still going in there. They had a banner up there on the building announcing it but it has been gone now for a 3 or 4 weeks at least.

I don't know if this had been mentioned but I had notice the Malco is back for sale. I remember at one point Bob Gaddy's investment company had picked it up and I was hoping that they would do something really nice but so much for that. On to the next developer! Let's all keep our fingers crossed that no one comes in there and tries to bring another strip mall to College. Like that hideous O.k. China strip mall behind David's Bridal and next to Noodles. What was Dixie thinking, and who the hell wants to eat at a Chinese Buffet thats just O.K. It's a wonder people think at all sometimes.

I was glad to see the old gas station on College just south of North Street was demolished last week. That is an improvment. Maybe the project planned for that site is going to be built now.

Good news. Maybe that article in the paper a little while back finally gave them that little push to get things going.

I don't know if this had been mentioned but I had notice the Malco is back for sale. I remember at one point Bob Gaddy's investment company had picked it up and I was hoping that they would do something really nice but so much for that. On to the next developer! Let's all keep our fingers crossed that no one comes in there and tries to bring another strip mall to College. Like that hideous O.k. China strip mall behind David's Bridal and next to Noodles. What was Dixie thinking, and who the hell wants to eat at a Chinese Buffet thats just O.K. It's a wonder people think at all sometimes.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the old Malco was already back up for sale. But yes I've been a bit worried that only minor changes will be made and it will shoddily be changed into some sort of offices or strip mall. While I guess it's nice that these older buildings are being put to some sort of use, I really wish people would do something else. Ever notice how many old grocery stores are being used as some sort of office/strip mall? I'm worried the old Malco is in line for something like that.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the old Malco was already back up for sale. But yes I've been a bit worried that only minor changes will be made and it will shoddily be changed into some sort of offices or strip mall. While I guess it's nice that these older buildings are being put to some sort of use, I really wish people would do something else. Ever notice how many old grocery stores are being used as some sort of office/strip mall? I'm worried the old Malco is in line for something like that.

I would really like to see it updated some and turned into either a dollar theater or one that runs more indepentant films. Just not more office space please.

I would really like to see it updated some and turned into either a dollar theater or one that runs more indepentant films. Just not more office space please.

Yeah I know a lot of people would like a theater that played some independent films. But so far I haven't heard of anyone interested in running something like that so far.

Archived