College Avenue Developments

mzweig

I would really like to see it updated some and turned into either a dollar theater or one that runs more indepentant films. Just not more office space please.

Amen! There's little I miss of the Boston area but we did have two neat art film theatres in Cambridge and Brookline and a whole lot of good restaurants. Art theatres make nice spots for "date night" (that's when Grandma takes care of the 14 month-old and we go out!)

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the old Malco was already back up for sale. But yes I've been a bit worried that only minor changes will be made and it will shoddily be changed into some sort of offices or strip mall. While I guess it's nice that these older buildings are being put to some sort of use, I really wish people would do something else. Ever notice how many old grocery stores are being used as some sort of office/strip mall? I'm worried the old Malco is in line for something like that.

First post here. Just some info on the Malco theater...

The majority of the site sits in a flood plain, forcing someone attempting to redevelop the site to bring it out. This would cost an obscene amount of money, therefore making it very unlikely, at it's current asking price or even the price Gaddy bought it at, to be redeveloped anytime soon.

We can expect to see the same old tired building on the same old tired parking lot for the near future at least.

The majority of the site sits in a flood plain, forcing someone attempting to redevelop the site to bring it out. This would cost an obscene amount of money, therefore making it very unlikely, at it's current asking price or even the price Gaddy bought it at, to be redeveloped anytime soon.

We can expect to see the same old tired building on the same old tired parking lot for the near future at least.

Hey welcome to the forum. I guess I hadn't realized it was that close to a flood plain. I don't recall that area ever flooding but maybe this has more to do with new guidelines or something.

Hey welcome to the forum. I guess I hadn't realized it was that close to a flood plain. I don't recall that area ever flooding but maybe this has more to do with new guidelines or something.

That makes sense. Theres a stream actually flowing under the site.

Gaddy should've checked that out before the purchase. He may take a bath on this one.

Seems there is quite a bit of property in Fayetteville that is in a floodplain that has been grandfathered in over the years.

The old Church of Christ and Citgo at North & Leverett are in the same boat. The majority of that parcel is in a floodplain and/or floodway too.

I just want to say that 6th street is actually looking a lot better than college avenue. It looks like a Popeyes is going in and a new shopping center across from the parking lot at the U of A. I wish they could rid out some of the pawn shops on that street. Since that is a main road to the University, I think it really needs to be improved. They could also add some greenery as well and make it more aesthetically pleasing.

I just want to say that 6th street is actually looking a lot better than college avenue. It looks like a Popeyes is going in and a new shopping center across from the parking lot at the U of A. I wish they could rid out some of the pawn shops on that street. Since that is a main road to the University, I think it really needs to be improved. They could also add some greenery as well and make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Yeah, it seems like it wasn't that long ago that 6th St wasn't really anything compared to College Ave. A little weird how things have shifted.

I was interested in the building as either a dollar or independant film theater until I saw the price they were asking. It was outragous and it will be very hard to get that much for it in todays slumped market.

I was interested in the building as either a dollar or independant film theater until I saw the price they were asking. It was outragous and it will be very hard to get that much for it in todays slumped market.

They aren't going to sell it for less than they paid, right? Oh well.

The building itself was slated to be redeveloped into a restaurant and club, family style. Apparently that is no longer the case.

The building itself was slated to be redeveloped into a restaurant and club, family style. Apparently that is no longer the case.

I had not heard what their plans were for the property, I guessed that it would some sort of mixed use. It is an interesting location. Road frontage on both sides, they should just hold on to it and find someone to lease out the space. I don't know what could go in there besides a theater or office space.

The club idea is awesome, but all the clubs here have come and gone and they all laked one thing, FUN. It would be nice if they could remodel it and make it a huge club, its in a perfect spot too, and plenty, PLENTY of parking.

I noticed the SpotNot lot at Razorback/Sixth has been stripped down and closed. The grass and weeds are way overgrown around the site. I guess the new Suds put it out of business.

I noticed the SpotNot lot at Razorback/Sixth has been stripped down and closed. The grass and weeds are way overgrown around the site. I guess the new Suds put it out of business.

That's where the new ChickFila is going. The land was more valuable than the car wash business.

Yeah, it's not too easy to park near the Union so I don't see there being any problem. Just as Aerotive said, there hasn't been any problem with there being two locations basically across the street from each other on College.

The Union Chick Fil A won't take much business from the new location. Student/pedestrian crowd vs. car-bound customers for the 6th St. location. Similar to the mall location and the Chick Fil A across the street.

Ofcourse. Most people who eat at the Union have a student meal plan or are people on the go. I'm sure that the location on 6th won't take away any business from the Union location.

I think this would be a neat concept for the old Razorback 6:

http://www.movietavern.com/

And maybe a casual restaurant in the parking lot area as well....

That general area has quite a bit of "night life" already with Foghorns, and the strip clubs.

I think that would be a great idea but I don't know if running first runs with 2 other much larger theaters just down the street would work. If there is no deal between theater companies, then all theaters would have to split first runs like the Regal and Malco did for years. I think that the restaurant/bar idea is very good but maybe run older films and independant movies.

Here is an example in nearby Springfield, MO. They don't have a full restaurant but they do offer concessions and I believe wine and beer.

Moxie Cinema in Springfield, MO

I think that would be a great idea but I don't know if running first runs with 2 other much larger theaters just down the street would work. If there is no deal between theater companies, then all theaters would have to split first runs like the Regal and Malco did for years. I think that the restaurant/bar idea is very good but maybe run older films and independant movies.

Here is an example in nearby Springfield, MO. They don't have a full restaurant but they do offer concessions and I believe wine and beer.

Moxie Cinema in Springfield, MO

Ah i hadn't thought about the whole theaters and their first run deals.

I guess something along those lines that could play the same type of movies seen at a drive-in or some independent films, or a mix of all of the above would be just as good, and probably more unique.

Just throwing that out there as a concept that I think would be valuable and add something to the College Ave landscape worthwhile.

Ah i hadn't thought about the whole theaters and their first run deals.

I guess something along those lines that could play the same type of movies seen at a drive-in or some independent films, or a mix of all of the above would be just as good, and probably more unique.

Just throwing that out there as a concept that I think would be valuable and add something to the College Ave landscape worthwhile.

I agree. It would be nice to be able to fix it up a bit. Although I shouldn't expect anything too fancy. Albuquerque had a really nice theater that showed independent films and had a nice wine bar and everything. But it eventually folded. But hopefully our metro is big enough to support something on a smaller scale.

Looks like the new Fayetteville Arts Council is looking to start out by possibly adding some art along College Ave, around Rock to Maple. I think it would be a nice start to trying to do something to improve College Ave. Of course I think a lot more could be done, but still it's a start.

• 3 weeks later...

I know we've talked about this before. But I wanted to add a map to show something. I have a hard time understanding why there isn't more done with the section of College Ave between say Prospect to Dickson. I've labeled Wilson Park with green, the Wilson Park Historical District in blue, the Mt Nord Historical District in yellow, and the Washington Willow Historical District in red. You have some of the most desirable areas to live all around this section of College Ave. Not to mention the fact that Dickson St is just off to the bottom left of the map. Seems to me this should be a hot area for development. At one point there was plans for a condo development on the corner of Maple and College but that fell through. With parts of Dickson St making progress to becoming a commercial historical district. Which might make it a little harder for future developments. Just seems to me that this would be the next logical area for future developments. And it would finally start revitalizing one section of College Ave.

collegeavefay2vd1.jpg

I know we've talked about this before. But I wanted to add a map to show something. I have a hard time understanding why there isn't more done with the section of College Ave between say Prospect to Dickson. I've labeled Wilson Park with green, the Wilson Park Historical District in blue, the Mt Nord Historical District in yellow, and the Washington Willow Historical District in red. You have some of the most desirable areas to live all around this section of College Ave. Not to mention the fact that Dickson St is just off to the bottom left of the map. Seems to me this should be a hot area for development. At one point there was plans for a condo development on the corner of Maple and College but that fell through. With parts of Dickson St making progress to becoming a commercial historical district. Which might make it a little harder for future developments. Just seems to me that this would be the next logical area for future developments. And it would finally start revitalizing one section of College Ave.

The section of College from North to Maple isn't very accessible. The street is narrow, hilly and has a bad curve. Sight lines are bad and without a center turn lane you risk life and limb trying to make a left turn off it. Right now it is also very rough- I've learned how drive to the extreme sides of the lanes in order not to be bounced all over the place. Because it is the major corridor through Fayetteville and the way most people outside of the central part of town access Dickson Street and downtown it is too busy to narrow it or use the common traffic calming methods.

If I were looking to invest in developing a project I wouldn't choose that area, even though you are right in that it is in the middle of some very desirable areas. I don't know if there is a solution that everyone would accept.

collegeavefay2vd1.jpg

Of course, I agree with you, Rod. I think this is a critical stretch and North and College is sort of the gateway to the city of Fayetteville. My understanding is that this section will be improved next, after the Maple to Rock section is done.

Archived