Counties Paired for Disaster Plan

vbfl85

The state recently completed an emergency preparedness plan in the event of a large earhquake from the new madirid zone. Washington, Benton, and Clark counties are paired with Crittenden, Mississippi, and Poinsett respectively.

They paired them based on "similarities in population and available resources." I would think that Craighead county would have been a better match for Washington or Benton counties. It says more counites may be added though so i guess Sebastian county could support Craighead.

KTHV Story

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The state recently completed an emergency preparedness plan in the event of a large earhquake from the new madirid zone. Washington, Benton, and Clark counties are paired with Crittenden, Mississippi, and Poinsett respectively.

They paired them based on "similarities in population and available resources." I would think that Craighead county would have been a better match for Washington or Benton counties. It says more counites may be added though so i guess Sebastian county could support Craighead.

KTHV Story

Weird I've never heard anything about this. I'm not sure how those counties really relate population-wise to either Benton or Washington. You are talking about the second and third most populous counties. Does seem odd that Craighead wouldn't be mentioned. Unless they are setting this up more because those counties listed might have a harder time taking care of themselves. I'm not sure what or how services are set up there. So if something ever happened to Benton or Washington Counties are they supposed to help us as well I wonder. Granted I don't know of much that could cause such widespread destruction over here.

Weird I've never heard anything about this. I'm not sure how those counties really relate population-wise to either Benton or Washington. You are talking about the second and third most populous counties. Does seem odd that Craighead wouldn't be mentioned. Unless they are setting this up more because those counties listed might have a harder time taking care of themselves. I'm not sure what or how services are set up there. So if something ever happened to Benton or Washington Counties are they supposed to help us as well I wonder. Granted I don't know of much that could cause such widespread destruction over here.

Maybe they just wanted to make things interesting, kind of like Different Strokes. I can see a bunch of NW Arkansans being relocated to the Delta, going "no thanks, the ruins we left were better" and heading back home.

The only thing that could cause widespread destruction in NWA is Wal-Mart moving out of state. A "real" disaster there aside from minor tornado damage is pretty unlikely.

Maybe they just wanted to make things interesting, kind of like Different Strokes. I can see a bunch of NW Arkansans being relocated to the Delta, going "no thanks, the ruins we left were better" and heading back home.

The only thing that could cause widespread destruction in NWA is Wal-Mart moving out of state. A "real" disaster there aside from minor tornado damage is pretty unlikely.

:lol: Yeah even with a tornado it's unlikley to cause enough widespread damage to make it so that the rest of the metro couldn't take care of it. Even though I wonder about some of this, I have to say at least they are planning this out. So we don't end up with another New Orleans if we ever do see a big earthquake.

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to see that they are planning for this kind of thing. The New Madrid Fault Line is bound for a major eruption in the distant future.

It has been nearly 200 years since the New Madrid Fault area has had a major earthquake, so today is the "distant future". In our lifetimes, their will be atleast a 7.0 earthquake in Northeast Arkansas (The quakes in the early 1800s were in the 8.0's).

It has been nearly 200 years since the New Madrid Fault area has had a major earthquake, so today is the "distant future". In our lifetimes, their will be atleast a 7.0 earthquake in Northeast Arkansas (The quakes in the early 1800s were in the 8.0's).

Well, that's still up to speculation. Scientists still haven't figured out just how active the New Madrid fault is. Now I'm not saying there won't be a major earthquake in our lifetimes. But I'm not sure just how good the chances of it happening in our lives.

Well, that's still up to speculation. Scientists still haven't figured out just how active the New Madrid fault is. Now I'm not saying there won't be a major earthquake in our lifetimes. But I'm not sure just how good the chances of it happening in our lives.

I'm with you. I've been hearing about this my whole life and there's never been a peep. Same with my parents and their parents. However....

the same was true of New Orleans' vulnerability to a hurricane. I never thought that would happen, either.

I'm with you. I've been hearing about this my whole life and there's never been a peep. Same with my parents and their parents. However....

the same was true of New Orleans' vulnerability to a hurricane. I never thought that would happen, either.

I'm not trying to downplay it or say it can't happen. But I think scientists are still trying to figure out what's going on with the fault and why it's even there in the first place.

Im pretty sure that the fault is active and that they have small earthquakes every once in awhile. My dad grew up in lee county, and can clearly recall earthquakes occuring there.

Im pretty sure that the fault is active and that they have small earthquakes every once in awhile. My dad grew up in lee county, and can clearly recall earthquakes occuring there.

Yes it is still active and they do have minor temors that usually aren't felt by people. But unlike most faults this isn't along a techtonic plate. So it doesn't behave like other faults. I'm not trying to say there won't be another big earthquake. But I'm not so sure scientists can be sure that another one will happen in our lifetimes.

Yes it is still active and they do have minor temors that usually aren't felt by people. But unlike most faults this isn't along a techtonic plate. So it doesn't behave like other faults. I'm not trying to say there won't be another big earthquake. But I'm not so sure scientists can be sure that another one will happen in our lifetimes.

...A little perspective here...there've been 3 earthquakes greater than a 3.0 in the past week along the New Madrid fault. Statistically we're past due. :unsure:

...A little perspective here...there've been 3 earthquakes greater than a 3.0 in the past week along the New Madrid fault. Statistically we're past due. :unsure:

Perhaps. But I think the fact that it's not along the edge of a techtonic plate like most active fault lines makes this one much harder to judge.

Archived