Cheap Eats

NewEastSider

Ever thrifty (as my posts thus far can attest to), I am looking for high-quality, cheap restaurants in Rhode Island. Any suggestions?

Some that I've come across so far:

Chez Pascal Hot Dog Cart

Apsara

Stanley's Hamburgers

Leo's in Bristol (they have a $30 meal deal that includes two entrees, pasta, salad and a bottle of wine)

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ruffuls. wayland square. east side institution. no frills breakfast. often lots of fancy cars and overdressed women parked in front, which is fun because the place is just a lunch counter. mean but funny waitresses. not really that cheap unless you go early.

also, louis on brook st for breakfast. dirty, but cheap.

i highly recommend the Kozy Grill on Warwick Ave in Warwick. Best corned beef hash around, cheap breffest and lunch too--i usually get the bacon cheddar burger with fries and i think with a pepsi it is about $4.50. Very clean.

no milkshakes though.

:(

My Pakistani buddy is raving about this new place on Broad St in Cranston called "NY Fried Chicken Kabob". The last restaurant he raved about was Not Just Snacks, so needless to say I am anxious to check it out. He gave me a takeout menu and the prices look excellent - Chicken Tika with Rice, bread, and Salad = $7.

Liam

• 3 months later...

I went to Nick's on Broadway again last weekend and continue to be blown away by the flavors and quality of cooking and the freshness of it all - the maple grilled shrimp salad with artisinal blue cheese, bacon, and chipotle sauce is one of the most amazing meals I've had all year and under $10 to boot!

I can't wait until they start serving dinner, hopefully soon!

As an out-of-towner browsing the Providence forum, this thread just jolted a memory for me. I met a friend and her parents in Providence for dinner once last summer, and someone in their hotel recommended this Italian place. It was on (or just off, maybe) Mineral Spring Ave., near Pawtucket. It was delicious and very cheap -- they had combo dishes for something like $12 that were basically an entire order of sausage and peppers, eggplant parm, and meatballs, with a side of spaghetti. The place was really bare-bones as I remember it, just kind of a hole in the wall with a bunch of faux-wood booths. I think the kitchen opened into the dining room, too. It seemed like a typical, family kind of place, and pretty busy.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd love to go back there sometime.. I'm practically drooling just thinking about it now. :P

If looking for cheap eats in sprawlville, Daves Bar and Grill on Post Road in Warwick near the Airport is great. I used to go there in high school and they had 99 cent grilled cheese platters. Now I think they might be 1.49 or 1.99. Mmmm I used to order three at once.

I went to Nick's on Broadway again last weekend and continue to be blown away by the flavors and quality of cooking and the freshness of it all - the maple grilled shrimp salad with artisinal blue cheese, bacon, and chipotle sauce is one of the most amazing meals I've had all year and under $10 to boot!

I can't wait until they start serving dinner, hopefully soon!

As an out-of-towner browsing the Providence forum, this thread just jolted a memory for me. I met a friend and her parents in Providence for dinner once last summer, and someone in their hotel recommended this Italian place. It was on (or just off, maybe) Mineral Spring Ave., near Pawtucket. It was delicious and very cheap -- they had combo dishes for something like $12 that were basically an entire order of sausage and peppers, eggplant parm, and meatballs, with a side of spaghetti. The place was really bare-bones as I remember it, just kind of a hole in the wall with a bunch of faux-wood booths. I think the kitchen opened into the dining room, too. It seemed like a typical, family kind of place, and pretty busy.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd love to go back there sometime.. I'm practically drooling just thinking about it now. :P

Archived